Make a donation

Author Topic: Staggered wheels  (Read 1514 times)

Offline Syrag64

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Staggered wheels
« on: September 16, 2011, 09:31:04 pm »
I'm thinking of getting some staggard alloys (18" x 8.5 & 9.5) what et should I should I be looking at? I'm thinking 42?  I want to fill the arches nicely, don't mind doing some arch rolling if needed. Was going to 19 but with the state of the roads I'm thinking this not to be a good idea?

Any advice appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 04:30:34 pm by Syrag64 »
Black 2007 GTI Manual, Stage 3 K04, R32 Bumper/Exhaust, WALK, adj rear ARB, KW1's, Twintercooler, Twintake, 18's (winters), 19's (summer) modified dectane LED rear lights, NQSBBK, Forge dump valve, Xenon look headlights with 5000k HID, 3" downpipe with sports cat, TT wishbones, uprated HPFP, Sach Uprated Clutch, Quaife LSD, VT & THS Engine Mounts.
To be fitted: Reverse Camera & uprated headunit.

Future plans: De-dent & Detail

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
Re: Staggard wheels
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 09:45:03 pm »
What are staggard wheels?

Offline Syrag64

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 09:51:33 pm »
Wider on the rear than on the front, 8.5" on the front 9.5" on the back, I may have spelt it wrong also  :signLOL:
Black 2007 GTI Manual, Stage 3 K04, R32 Bumper/Exhaust, WALK, adj rear ARB, KW1's, Twintercooler, Twintake, 18's (winters), 19's (summer) modified dectane LED rear lights, NQSBBK, Forge dump valve, Xenon look headlights with 5000k HID, 3" downpipe with sports cat, TT wishbones, uprated HPFP, Sach Uprated Clutch, Quaife LSD, VT & THS Engine Mounts.

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 59
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 03:05:43 pm »
You mean 'staggered' then!   :signLOL:

If you use an offset calculator, it will tell you that the inner clearance fitting a 9.5J et42 wheel will be reduced by 16mm and they will sit outboard 34mm, based on that I would say you will definitely have issues with rubbing.

There were a set of BBS CH rep's on ebay which comprised of 8J fronts and 9J rears et42, the later will stick out a further 28mm but he has them pictured on a GTi and they looking perfect imo.

His: MK2 Black Magic Skoda Octavia vRS Estate
Hers: MK5 Graphite Blue Pearl VW Golf GT140 -

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32783.0.html

Offline Syrag64

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 04:29:54 pm »
You mean 'staggered' then!   :signLOL:

If you use an offset calculator, it will tell you that the inner clearance fitting a 9.5J et42 wheel will be reduced by 16mm and they will sit outboard 34mm, based on that I would say you will definitely have issues with rubbing.

There were a set of BBS CH rep's on ebay which comprised of 8J fronts and 9J rears et42, the later will stick out a further 28mm but he has them pictured on a GTi and they looking perfect imo.

Thats the look i'm after, (thanks for correcting my spelling) what et should the fronts be? Also would I get away with 8.5 on the front?

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 59
Re: Staggered wheels
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 09:07:10 pm »
The fronts will be 42 also, I was actually watching these for my vRS, I really like the fact the 9J wheel is more concaved, like a 3 series BMW.  I would imagine 8.5 will be ok on the front but its not really necessary if you fins a set which are et42 they will sit out a further 22mm, so nearly an inch, if you lower the car at all if will rub like a SOB!  :surprised:

Offset calculator to help you out - https://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp - for reference OE GTi wheels are 7.5J et51.  :happy2:

His: MK2 Black Magic Skoda Octavia vRS Estate
Hers: MK5 Graphite Blue Pearl VW Golf GT140 -

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32783.0.html

Offline Syrag64

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Staggered wheels
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 10:01:51 pm »
Thanks, think i'll stick to 8 on the front then, probably roll/pull the rear arches tho, want it to look phat  :signLOL:

Thanks for the offset calculator  :happy2: