Author Topic: LED's  (Read 3713 times)

Offline Johnny_tro

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 12
LED's
« on: September 19, 2011, 12:27:29 am »
Just want to check before I order anything......can EVERY light on the car be changed to LEDs? even indicators?

Also, I have the Xenons < can you upgrade the bulbs in these to?

Anyone got LED lights under the door mirrors? (external) what bulds do I need?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 07:25:38 am by Johnny_tro »
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline JamboV6

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: LED's
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 11:47:15 am »
All interiors yes, the wing mirror puddle lights are a w5w's. front indicators on the xenons are behind an orange lens so unless you strip the lens and remove it then you might as well leave them. Tails, the reverse and fog are easy as for the rest, swap the unit for the Valeo led ones :-)
09 3dr Diamond black DSG~ Vienna leather~winter pack~Black headliner~Cruise~Arm rest~RNS-510~Flapper mod~LED Side lights,Number Plate, interiors, Fog & Reverse~6000K HID Upgrade~Valeo OEM LED Rears~Lowtec spring~R-pad retainers~Auto boot pop~Audi Shark Fin~Alu mirrors~Centre cap mod with .:R caps.

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 02:24:03 pm »
First time to Xenons < there dammm good have to say!!

So in term of the front end < just replace the fogs with LEDs, wing mirror indicators, puddle lights and leave it at that?

Oooo and LEDs < is this ALL legal on the outside??
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline paul896

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 04:02:50 pm »
this is defo on my to do list!

is there a list of bulbs on the site, so i know which ones to order on eBay?

Got the xenons as well, would neve go back to normal headlights again, they are the Biz! give the car a real classy look as well :D

Offline JamboV6

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
09 3dr Diamond black DSG~ Vienna leather~winter pack~Black headliner~Cruise~Arm rest~RNS-510~Flapper mod~LED Side lights,Number Plate, interiors, Fog & Reverse~6000K HID Upgrade~Valeo OEM LED Rears~Lowtec spring~R-pad retainers~Auto boot pop~Audi Shark Fin~Alu mirrors~Centre cap mod with .:R caps.

Offline paul896

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 08:54:25 am »
Sweet, thanks for that!!

Paypal is about to take another battering :D

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 01:47:36 pm »
w5w's are these the same bulbs, internal or external? just wondered as the why there are two types posted below?

Also, are the best ones oure white? of the blue-ish tints?

Has every also changed the side lights? (Xenons) and the indicators? or these best left well alone?

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 59
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 02:00:40 pm »
w5w's are these the same bulbs, internal or external? just wondered as the why there are two types posted below?

Also, are the best ones oure white? of the blue-ish tints?

Has every also changed the side lights? (Xenons) and the indicators? or these best left well alone?

I have done the interior lights with either W5W or festoon bulbs as required, also changed the sidelights and number plate bulbs all of these have been changed for pure white LED's.  Didn't bother with the indicators, just swapped them for chrome covered ones so you don't get the fried egg effect when you look at the headlights.

No sure what you mean regarding the Xenons mate, if you have factory fit xenons you won't get a better light than that, all you could probably do is change the bulb for one of a different colour temperature, iirc the OE bulb is 4300k, I have a 5000k HID kit fitted on the vRS and compared to OE I think it is the whitest light, when you go to 6000k or higher the blue tint becomes more pronounced.

EDIT:  Here is a link to a full interior kit (I wish I had seen it a couple of weeks earlier) you can see from the ad, they are available in dfferent colours -
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140547920140?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

These are the LED's I have in the sidelights - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170684855597?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 02:07:02 pm by vRS_Pagey »

His: MK2 Black Magic Skoda Octavia vRS Estate
Hers: MK5 Graphite Blue Pearl VW Golf GT140 -

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32783.0.html

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 02:52:46 pm »
Good info!!

What I meant was....

I have Xenon front lights < has side lights, indicators etc built in. Didn;t even consider changing the main lights.....was more about the indicators and side lights on them?

VRS < would you just use the same ones for everything? puddle lights, footwells etc?

and the lights you sent (bit dumb lol) they ALL error free with risitors?

My Xenons < not sure what the main lights are, but they are a kinda blue.....unless its me. Is my first time having them.

It's mad....some LED's have four lights, some 8 some 9  :scared: do most people just get as many as they can on one bulb?

Offline paul896

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 03:19:18 pm »
Damn I wish i knew about that, spend ages on eBay buying them all seperately :(

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 04:50:20 pm »

[/quote]

The vRS has essentially the same bulbs as the Golf, no puddle or footwell lights in mine though, my Golf doesn't use the festoon type in the interior either as the overhead console is slightly different with a ff sunroof.  Iirc you don't need error free for all the interior lights, off the top of my head I can't think which do and which don't, I have these fitted in the Golf over heads - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170613171527?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 - not error free but work fine, they fit nice because they are quite stubby. 

I hear you on the number of SMD's, the new sidelights have 9, I previously had these ones - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320665464032?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 - but they were no where near as effective as the new ones because of the SMD lay out, having 4 small ones facing forward looked pants, the new ones have a single one at the front, so the rest which are on the side hit the reflector better providing more light.  :happy2:

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 05:25:24 pm »
Legend !!

So the w5w's

You have put 5 x 1st link for the interior

and

2 x w5w for the puddles

are they not the same lights? i.e. why did you not just say 7 x from the one link? is there a slight difference? will the 1st not work on the puddles?

sorry be an arse!!  :ashamed:

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 05:56:03 pm »
 :signLOL:

Long story, but no.  I fitted these in the fronts - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270763543216?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 - then I found the ones in the first link, as I needed 3 more for the Golf and 1 for the vRS I just got them - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170613171527?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649.  The foot well lights are error free ones, the 8 SMD I had in the side lights before I changed them.  The Golf hasn't got puddle lights.....

HTH, Lee.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 09:02:15 am by vRS_Pagey »

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 06:49:13 pm »
? Mine has puddles.....elec folding with puddle lights (lights under the mirrors)

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 10:42:39 pm »
5x w5w for the interior http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T10-car-White-SMD-high-power-1-5W-LED-Bulbs-194-168-C-/220642480741?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item335f511265.

Are these 5 the 2 map reading spot lights, the main light when opening door (in front of rear view mirror) and the two on the roof in the rear?

Thanks