Make a donation

Author Topic: What's this under the passenger seat?  (Read 9421 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: What's this under the passenger seat?
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2009, 10:59:54 am »

Your Ed30 is modded and particularly fast, aren't there lots of moments when you'd benefit from having more seat support?

TBH, I haven't had any issues where I felt the seats weren't supportive enough.  :smiley:

....Methinks you are doing too many motorway miles. Lots of twisties in my neck of the woods. Plus my modded suspension and Quaife greatly encourages fun in the twisties.

I suppose my point is more related to my definition of the GTI that it is a car for all situations, i.e. I can one day go and hoon around a track or down a strip like santa pod, the next day collect the parents and take them for sunday lunch and next drive to work and pick people up for business.

....You're sounding far more grown-up than I am regarding parents and 'suits'!! But you have perfectly described what an excellent allrounder a 5-door GTI is.

I have driven a GTI with Recaro's in so have had chance to make an informed decision on these, as when I brought my first GTI the dealer had a choice of two on with and one without Recaro's, I choose the one without  :smiley:

^^^ I've had to read this several times to make sure I had read it correctly! You're sounding far too 'mature' again, Steve!

Like cocopops said in an out and out sports car I completely get the need to have seats like the Recaro's.

But if your pleased with them that's all that inportant  :happy2:

....I don't agree with coco at all - Sounds a bit as if it's about being self-conscious about image. What's the difference between an out-and-out sports car and a hot hatchback when being driven hard through bends? In fact, generally speaking, a hatch possibly has more body roll and needs the seat support more.

But, I'm not trying to say that having anything other than Recaros is wrong - We are all different individuals in our needs and taste.

Safe Journeys, mate

:happy2: 8) :happy2:

P.S.- What's this under the passenger seat? - The mint I dropped yesterday!

« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 11:07:27 am by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2009, 11:05:36 am »

I also think MR PG is correct about the everyday use they are in noway an all rounder seat, in a 3 door access to the back is terrible and to look after the bolster you need to be skilled at getting in and out. That said for my needs which is no kids and twisties they are spot on. I would like some more room for my b@lls to settle though.  :chicken:

If you are a big fella then i reckon they would not be very comfortable over long distance's:smiley:

....You're not suggesting that Mr PG has a fat arse, are you TC! :evilgrin:

Yep, we each have different needs - Lots of twisties in my neck of the woods too, teenage passengers so 5-door. In fact there's now more leg room in the back with the Recaros. [full Review coming soon-ish]

:happy2: 8) :happy2:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 19
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Project MUBster DUBster Evolution
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2009, 11:36:04 am »

It's just as well that I much prefer cloth in a car.

So, Mo, what's the story behind your Recaro's? Bought the car with them already fitted?

Yep, bought the car with them - I wouldn't imagine the car without them. 

They are a great feature...lighter than the standard seats, they also provide more leg room at the back, and they are very supportive and comfy.

P.S.  They also are great if you have a woman with a short skirt sitting next to you...cos there is no way out of the seats without providing a glimpse or their asses...  :signLOL:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2009, 11:38:30 am »

They also are great if you have a woman with a short skirt sitting next to you...cos there is no way out of the seats without providing a glimpse or their asses...  :signLOL:

....Can I quote you in my forthcoming Review? :grin:

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 19
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Project MUBster DUBster Evolution
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2009, 11:41:15 am »
Sure...

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2009, 04:08:09 pm »
I suppose you mean that the original GTI Mk1's never had this kind of seat, but I could argue that there has always been an attempt to include a more physically supportive seat in the GTI version of the Golf.
The seats in the mk1 are very deceptive if you have ever sat in one you will already know this lol and know how narrow and very very bolstered they are, there not made for fat boys thats for sure. I find they have much more side support than the mk5.
As for recaros im not sure if they were an option for the mk1 but they were for the mk2 :evilgrin:

I will admit and im sure i have comented on this before but i love recaro seats i made sure in our past two SEATs that i ordered them as the option. Basically because i don't get lower back acre with them unlike most standard seats. The reason i did not go for them in the mk5 is simply the wings. Im an odd body shape i have long legs but a short body with wide shoulders. The wings force my shoulders forward giving me an uncomfortable sitting position  :sad: its why i cannot drive evos and such like for long the seats kill my back and shoulders. If only you could get the older design recaros still.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 04:11:26 pm by Snoopy »
Ex mk5 GTI owner, moved to a mk6 in 2010.