Make a donation

Author Topic: Boot lid rust - question for anyone who got VW to repair it?  (Read 6911 times)

Offline gti_jim

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
Boot lid rust - question for anyone who got VW to repair it?
« on: September 20, 2011, 12:46:48 pm »
Hi

I spotted rust starting to bubble on the boot lid surrounding the bottom half of the boot badge about 8 weeks ago. Lifting the boot badge reveals a damp patch in the recess and sure enough the worst of the rust is there.

I visited my local VW dealer, who put an application in for warranty work. This was refused at first, with VW claiming that it was the result of an external impact. I had to contact Customer Services to complain about their response, and who arranged for an independent paint assessor to look at the car who felt that it was not through corrosion, which is covered under the 12 year corrosion warranty. He felt that it was a paint defect, which is the standard 3yr/60k warranty. He also claimed to have never seen this problem before on any VW, which is odd as I thought that it was pretty common.

VW have refused to pay anything, not even goodwill on account of the car being 6 years old and 66k miles. Apparently they only offer goodwill up to 5 years old (25% goodwill). However, reading Boothy's rust thread I spotted a couple of members who appeared to report the same problem and to have got VW to fix it apparently for free. To those members, and maybe others: Was your car much newer/lower mileage than mine? I'm not sure if they are yet again trying to fob me off.  :mad:

Cheers,
Jim

Offline Coe

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Boot lid rust - question for anyone who got VW to repair it?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 01:54:05 am »
Hi there,

Earlier this summer I had the same corrosion on my boot. VW stated it wasn't covered under warranty so I complained to VW customer care and after a month or two of coming and going they agreed to repair at their cost.

My car is an 05, full vwsh with 26k on the clock.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 01:59:17 am by Coe »

Offline gti_jim

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 10:49:16 am »
Thanks Coe, that is interesting. The chap in customer care assured me that there is no goodwill over 5 years old, even when I threatened to check that claim on an owners forum... I love this forum!

Offline Coe

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 11:44:59 am »
    Topic: Ahhhhhhh! More rust! Rear wing this time!

Hi Jim, the above topic on the corrosion I had has the details/saga of getting my car's corrosion fixed.

Cheers!

Offline gti_jim

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 01:32:47 pm »
Thanks Again Coe - I particularly like the link to tyresmoke where 2 other members, Three_Mike and ahankins have had the same issue. Hopefully they don't mind letting me know their car's age/mileage.

I think that I need to email Mr Craft again stating that his supposed direct report, Gary Kitchin has lied to me by saying that goodwill only covers cars less than 5 years old and that there is nothing more they can do - when numerous owners have received the goodwill, at 100% on cars of a similar age. I hate double standards... Would you mind pm'ing me your name so that I can cite you as an example? Did/would you do anything differently? All advice greatly appreciated  :drinking:

Offline Coe

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 07:27:03 pm »
Pm sent Jim.

Offline gti_jim

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 08:35:40 pm »
Thanks again Coe - I really appreciate your help. Now let the wait for them to come up with their next excuse begin...  :popcornsoda:

Offline chrisinglis

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 11:07:24 am »
Jim,

tried to respond to your PM but the webpage wont let me...

The car is a 54plate tdi with full VW warranty and 60k miles (april this year). There was no issue with the repair on the bootlid, no arguement but this might have been as I was paying 30% of the wing cost for repair.... I sold the car striaght after the repair was done. they who took the photos at the VW paint shop said it was a very common fault and there should be no probs getting the repair done (which there wan't). Work was carried out within 2 weeks of me going to see them. The wings were a different issue but they still paid for 70% of that repair. I guess I have got off lightly as to what how others are getting on. To be fair the repair was actually pretty decent.

Hope you get it sorted mate.

Offline gti_jim

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 01:43:21 pm »
Jim,

tried to respond to your PM but the webpage wont let me...

The car is a 54plate tdi with full VW warranty and 60k miles (april this year). There was no issue with the repair on the bootlid, no arguement but this might have been as I was paying 30% of the wing cost for repair.... I sold the car striaght after the repair was done. they who took the photos at the VW paint shop said it was a very common fault and there should be no probs getting the repair done (which there wan't). Work was carried out within 2 weeks of me going to see them. The wings were a different issue but they still paid for 70% of that repair. I guess I have got off lightly as to what how others are getting on. To be fair the repair was actually pretty decent.

Hope you get it sorted mate.

Thanks for your reply, that's now two mk5golfgti members with a car at least as old as mine, and a similar mileage - both of which got the repair covered. I have emailed Chris Craft accusing his team of lieing to me by saying that no car over 5 years old is covered for this repair (3 year warranty on "paint defects") and threatening small claims court action. It will be £65 in court fees, but this whole issue is fast becoming more about principles than cost

Jim

Offline gti_jim

• Taking part
  • Thank You
Re: Boot lid rust - question for anyone who got VW to repair it? ** Update **
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 04:32:38 pm »
Update - VW offered to pay 50% of the repair (£294.50) today. I queried why other owners have received 100% - but apparently every case is "unique" and "confidential". After going around in circles, we compromised on them paying 100% as long as I get the car serviced with them at the same time as the repair.

Whilst others have got a 100% contribution without the need for spending money on a service, I'm glad that they have accepted responsibility and done the decent thing. If anyone else is in a similar position, don't back down if you think that they are pulling a fast one. Persistence and strongly worded emails to Mr Craft work.

Thanks go to Boothy, chrisinglis and COE for their help along the way - cheers guys  :drinking:

Jim

Offline jedi-knight83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 04:52:35 pm »
Interesting... Ive got rust bubbling around the bottom of my boot badge too... and on the front arches.

I had a similar thing on my audi and they fixed it without hesitation. I'll be visiting VW on monday.
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO