Make a donation

Author Topic: Best tyres for wet weather?  (Read 5012 times)

Offline geordie56

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
Best tyres for wet weather?
« on: September 20, 2011, 09:11:26 pm »
I have been looking into my best options to try and tame the beast a little, what's peoples personal experiences with the Michelin PSS super sport and PS3 and also pirellis PO MO? Cheers for replys in advance.

Offline Bernhard30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 16
Re: Best tyres for wet weather?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 09:38:37 pm »
Just my view on the PS3, albeit run on a St1 Ed30 are that wet weather wise they are excellent.
Far better than Conti SC2 & then 3 previously run, pre st1 on the car.

The Michies wet weather performance for me just about redeems their bloody hard ride on certain surfaces, they seem to find and amplify every road imperfection in a vertical response. Only on some roads but that's what I feel.
Weirdly in the wet this seems to go and the tyres just grip really good.

Offline geordie56

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 10:27:33 pm »
Thanks a lot for your answers pal it's helping me a lot in what I was going to go for anyways. I'd like to hear some more positives on the michies before I take the leap as obviously they arent a cheap tyre but I want good performance.

Offline SteveP

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 10:30:04 pm »
What size are you looking at Shaun? Is it for the VMR's?

Offline Black9

• Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 10:36:46 pm »
I always used Uniroyal Rainsport 2 tyres as wet weather tyres and I rate them highly. Priced well too :happy2:

Offline geordie56

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 10:40:42 pm »
Yes Steve I was looking for the vmr's pal 235/35/19 possibly 235/40/18 on the TDs I have semi slicks on just with the weather and the next few track days coming up may be a bit wet. What are you on for the wet Steve?

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 05:17:39 am »
After tracking my golf on a very wet, read standing water, at Knutstorp in May with 19" Mich PSS, there's no doubt in my mind that they are by far the best High performance road tyre out there, and they do track days with ease also. Only downside is, and that goes for all tyres, in a very wet track day, remove 1 and only 1 of the dogbones at the rear ARB to maximize the grip in the rear.
But PSS FTW  :happy2:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline rex

• Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 74
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 06:39:11 am »
From the studies I read, the BEST rain tire (High Performace Tire) is Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric. I got to test it in the rain and it is really awesome.
Here is the ADAC test (only on 17 inch tires): http://www.adac.de/infotestrat/tests/reifen/sommerreifen/2010_Sommerreifen_Test_225_45_R17.aspx?ComponentId=29784&SourcePageId=31821

*Edit: "Nass" is water. The lower the grade, the better it is for the "nass" column.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 08:59:34 am by rex »

Offline alackofspeed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 07:33:39 am »
Eagle Asym II is good, as is the Pilot Supersport.

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 08:01:09 am »
Yes Steve I was looking for the vmr's pal 235/35/19 possibly 235/40/18 on the TDs I have semi slicks on just with the weather and the next few track days coming up may be a bit wet. What are you on for the wet Steve?

I have Dunlop SPort Maxx TT's in 235/40/18's size on my road going TD's and use these for the wet track days, been impressed so far  :smiley:

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 08:34:37 am »
Uniroyal Rainsports. Used by many of my motorsport customers as their wet weather tyre, have used them myself and rate them quite highly.

I have michelin pilot sports and conti sp3 on my cars at present, cant fault either.

Offline geordie56

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 04:56:03 pm »
Thanks a lot for all your help guys, much appreciated. I think I am going to go with the michelins just need to get the best price on them now.

Offline geordie56

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 05:36:41 pm »
Danish how is the wear rate on tyres when removing the dogbone and doesnt it affect the cornering abilitys on the side which you disconnect if you know what I mean?  Obviously it is making the back end a lot softer but all the weight and stress is on one side when cornering if the other side is dissconnected.

Offline alackofspeed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 05:50:30 pm »
Uniroyal Rainsports. Used by many of my motorsport customers as their wet weather tyre, have used them myself and rate them quite highly.

I've found Rainsport 2 have quite soft sidewalls / narrow flexible tread blocks and take some precision from the steering (this is on a Clio 182 with 205/45/16). Have you experienced anything similar?

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 08:04:01 pm »
Danish how is the wear rate on tyres when removing the dogbone and doesnt it affect the cornering abilitys on the side which you disconnect if you know what I mean?  Obviously it is making the back end a lot softer but all the weight and stress is on one side when cornering if the other side is dissconnected.

What i got explained and i feel i understand is that the harder you make the rear, the less grip you have and therefore goes from understeer over neutral to oversteer like a RWD car. What i experienced in the wet on track with my Autotech rear ARB set at medium was the feeling of a RWD car as i had 4 incidents where i lost the rear (major oversteer  :surprised: ) but recovered and a fifth where i ran of the track.
If you disable the rear ARB you get maximum grip at the rear and therefore maximum understeer meaning that you get the best possible situation to recover from.
Actually another source has comfirmed that they do so in danish motorsport, (Yokohama cup and Ferrari challenge cup)

:drinking:

Over the top mod list ;o)