Make a donation

Author Topic: Just bought an ed30...first impressions  (Read 4203 times)

Offline moglie

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Just bought an ed30...first impressions
« on: September 24, 2011, 05:52:26 pm »
Well I've just picked up an edition 30. Black, manual, 40k miles, all the extras, completely standard. Ive had a lot of cars in the past eve 9, mk5 r32, honda integera dc5, s2000, honda fd2 (5 door import) etc So i always find it interesting comparing my new car to my old cars.

well first off coming from a lowered s2000 the ride comfort is amazing. So nice to be back behind the wheel of something which you don't dread driving over speed humps or potholes lol

As for a drive...well I'm going to go out on a limb and say it feels faster than the mkv r32 i used to own. The turbo 'kick' seems to give it more urge and its much more torque'ier. It also handles just as well, despite it being from wheel drive. Very composed and safe.

Being completely standard i think id get bored of it after a while, so I've already been planning the modifications  :evilgrin: Just ordered a full milltek non res exhaust system, ITG air filter and forge diverter valve. Also going to get it remapped for these mods. Ive been told to expect around 330bhp for these sort of mods while ensuring the car remains reliable and as smooth to drive as ever....would this be correct and how should it go with this sort of power...m3 killer??  :fighting: ?? lol

The only major downside i have with the car so far are the brakes which in all honesty are pants (will need to be upgraded asap especially considering the fact I'm modifying the car) and the exhaust note...actually what exhaust note...its so muted, even on full chap i can hardly hear it. Hopefully the milltek non res will sort this issue out....will it?????

Apart from that I'm well pleased with the car thus far...i think with the addition of the above mentioned modifications it will turn an already great all rounder into a very very capable car which will be able to cope with the daily commute but will also be just as capable showing a lot more exotic cars the back bumper lol...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 05:56:53 pm by moglie »

Offline y3Lo

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Just bought an ed30...first impressions
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 05:55:53 pm »
sounds good! I will be coming from a honda also, mind me asking what sort of price you paid for your ed30? Every time I look at one I'm thinking of extending my budget  :grin:

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 05:57:57 pm »
I think most would agree it's quicker than an R32.

How was the FD2? I've always been intrigued by that car...

Offline moglie

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 05:58:14 pm »
Cool mate...i love honda's, have had nearly all the different type r variants but its a welcome change to find a car with a bit more low down grunt...

Paid close to £13,000 for mine

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 05:59:08 pm »
That's one of the best features of the GTI - its sense of urgency.

As for brakes, I've found that below 50mph, they're fine but if you're on the motorway and you have to stamp on them, it's not as good. Simplest upgrade is to change the fronts for R32 set up.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline moglie

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 06:01:57 pm »

The fd2...now that was a bit of a special car...as rare as the dodo...amazing drivers car; handled amazing on track. Though it was stiffly sprung even on standard suspension and therefore the ride was extremely harsh. It also is very hard to extract any sort of big power out of them...i had done almost everything to mine without going down the supercharger route and it was topping out at 260bhp...but on track where they're born and bred for theres very very little under 60k that will touch them...honestly they're a very capable track car...as a road car they might not suit everyone though!

Saint Steve

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 06:05:41 pm »

Excepted By GTi enthusiasts and not by R32 owners :signLOL:

Welcome to the forum, and dont let us stop you spending money on Mods, it would against forum rulz to stop you  :laugh:

Do it mate, you will love it, although i would add, you will need to add a clutch to your Wish list if your planning remaps, as your current one wont last long.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 06:08:00 pm by Saint Steve »

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 06:07:07 pm »
Haha, I remember looking at them for ages before buying the GTI and just came to the conclusion that I'd never get it past the wife!

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 06:15:34 pm »

it is.. but not in the wet
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline heavyd

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 29
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 06:33:57 pm »
I had a tussle with a mk5 r32 last week, my ed30 was back to full stock aswell, went passed him with ease, his face was a corker. If I'd been stage 2+ at the time, bet he would have been even more suprised :driver:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=s8b96718ja6tbc1amlf3l2uin0&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 07:12:52 pm »
I had a tussle with a mk5 r32 last week, my ed30 was back to full stock aswell, went passed him with ease, his face was a corker. If I'd been stage 2+ at the time, bet he would have been even more suprised :driver:

Yeah the stock ed30 will keep up with an r32 and even a golf R 60+

Remapped an an r32 doesn't stand a chance.

.:Tapatalk:.

Offline y3Lo

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 07:17:54 pm »

The fd2...now that was a bit of a special car...as rare as the dodo...amazing drivers car; handled amazing on track. Though it was stiffly sprung even on standard suspension and therefore the ride was extremely harsh. It also is very hard to extract any sort of big power out of them...i had done almost everything to mine without going down the supercharger route and it was topping out at 260bhp...but on track where they're born and bred for theres very very little under 60k that will touch them...honestly they're a very capable track car...as a road car they might not suit everyone though!

heard the same off everybody who's owned a FD2, i'd like a ride to see just how harsh.

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 11:19:05 pm »
my revo dealer has and r32 and said my eddie would be quicker. his is stage 2 mine 2+, only reason he might annihilate me is cause he is a better driver and has dsg :chicken:
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline Jk911

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2011, 11:23:16 pm »
R32 brakes all work very well

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 08:26:40 am »

Nice history that!  :party: