Make a donation

Author Topic: Just bought an ed30...first impressions  (Read 4198 times)

Offline moglie

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: Just bought an ed30...first impressions
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2011, 04:01:38 pm »
Can anyone recommend a brake upgrade for me...was looking at the vw racing kit but i think it might be overkill as i only use the car for a few trackdays...something that wont completely obliterate my wallet lol

As for the r32/edition 30 debate...i think the only genuine asset the r32 has is its exhaust note...in everyother way the ed30 is as good if not better (well sorry apart from its crap brakes)...ur never really going that fast in one to take advantage of the four wheel drive.

Also will the milltek non res really spice up the exhaust note of the ed30 or will it still be very muted??

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2011, 04:40:13 pm »
Yes mate a milltek will really change the exhaust note. Much deeper and racier tone. Really compliments the car. Are you changing the down pipe also as that makes a big difference. I have a non res decat on my gti and i love the sound. Only
Down side is you have to replace the cat for mot but well worth it in my opinion. As for the brakes just go r32 with a decent set of pads, more than capable for fast road use.

Offline moglie

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2011, 05:06:40 pm »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-R32-Audi-S3-Leon-Cupra-345mm-Front-Brake-Disks-Calipers-Carriers-Pads-/220860891028?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item336c55bf94#ht_654wt_689

Would these sort out the braking issue?? Also would these s3 brakes be more powerful again than the r32 brake setup? And finally would the s4 pad supplied with this brake kit be suffcient on a soon to be modified ed30???

All feedback would be massively appreciated as im looking to sort out the brakes on my ed30 asap  :happy2:
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 05:14:19 pm by moglie »

Offline robdf2

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2011, 06:20:37 pm »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-R32-Audi-S3-Leon-Cupra-345mm-Front-Brake-Disks-Calipers-Carriers-Pads-/220860891028?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item336c55bf94#ht_654wt_689

Would these sort out the braking issue?? Also would these s3 brakes be more powerful again than the r32 brake setup? And finally would the s4 pad supplied with this brake kit be suffcient on a soon to be modified ed30???

All feedback would be massively appreciated as im looking to sort out the brakes on my ed30 asap  :happy2:

can get the R32 / Cupra / S3 brake set up brand new for £645. including calipers , pads , carriers and 345mm discs , price was valid a year ago so might have gone up a little bit.
That was through a sponsor on seatcupra.net (sorry mods if im not allowed to post this , remove if breaks forum rules)

The S3 brakes are the same as Cupra / R32 they are all the same just different colours  :happy2:

2008 Chrono yellow Cupra

Offline moglie

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2011, 06:29:35 pm »
Cool, thanks for the info mate. Any idea where to get this set up new then if that deals no longer available on seatcupra.net

More importantly will the r32/s3 brake set up cope with a modified ed30 pushing 300bhp+??

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2011, 07:08:44 pm »
TBH mate by the sounds of your modding history if you bought the R32 brakes you would probably just upgrade again in the future, they are pretty decent though if i was just using them for road use id go for them, pretty heavy though :happy2:
MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2011, 07:09:52 pm »
Easily copes with it buddy. My brother inlaw is running r32 fronts only with standard pads and is running stage 2+ which is around 350-360 hp and it anchors up really well in fact i'd go as far as saying there neck snapping. Easily good enough for fast road as i said before. If you want to do a few track days just pop in a decent pad, or if you fancy something a bit lighter then have a word with Dave B on here, im sure he would be able to point you in the right direction as he is the brake guru  :signLOL:

Offline scooba

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2011, 10:03:14 pm »

The sales guy for the seat set is DAVE HAWTHORNE AT SERE SEAT BELFAST
 can get the R32 / Cupra / S3 brake set up brand new for £645. including calipers , pads , carriers and 345mm discs , price was valid a year ago so might have gone up a little bit.
That was through a sponsor on seatcupra.net (sorry mods if im not allowed to post this , remove if breaks forum rules)

The S3 brakes are the same as Cupra / R32 they are all the same just different colours  :happy2:

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2011, 10:09:01 pm »
Cool, thanks for the info mate. Any idea where to get this set up new then if that deals no longer available on seatcupra.net

More importantly will the r32/s3 brake set up cope with a modified ed30 pushing 300bhp+??

Some say Std brakes are fine..............

:scared: :scared:

Ps I am with you, the Std Ed brakes are awful.

Offline moglie

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2011, 10:34:32 pm »

Some say Std brakes are fine..............

:scared: :scared:

Ps I am with you, the Std Ed brakes are awful.

Yip they're hideously bad...sent dave a pm there, so hopefully he can get me hooked up with a decent kit. looks like the r32 fronts with fast road pads might be the answer...that or the front brake kit from a seat leon cupra which is red and will suit the colour of the standard rear calipers better

Saint Steve

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2011, 06:30:31 am »
.......if you brake too late, and drive too fast on public roads then yes  :chicken:
 :popcornsoda:

Or should we say, if you plan to go on track days then they are hideously bad  :P
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 06:32:20 am by Saint Steve »

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2011, 08:56:20 am »
.......if you brake too late, and drive too fast on public roads then yes  :chicken:

Or should we say, if you plan to go on track days then they are hideously bad  :P

Rather have decent brakes, ready for use, than wishing I had better brakes when I actually needed them.

But ETTO. 

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2011, 09:00:55 am »

Rather have decent brakes, ready for use, than wishing I had better brakes when I actually needed them.

But ETTO. 

To reply to the OP, Dave B will sort you out, the Porker 312 kit is well worth a look, as consumables are pennies, and the pad range is huge.  R32/s3 etc are another cheap option.

The s3 rears are a cracking upgrade, make the car really balanced.

My old post.

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1786.0.html