Make a donation

Author Topic: Unsure Which Tyres to get for Ed30  (Read 3386 times)

Offline vagmaster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Unsure Which Tyres to get for Ed30
« on: September 26, 2011, 05:53:17 pm »
Hi guys, got a Ed30 for the wife, it came with Michelin Pilot Exalt tyre on rear and Nexus on front.
I am after buying new tyres this week but unsure which to go for as I really want to match the rear and defo keep away from budget tyres. Has anybody heard of Michelin Exalt before as I can not find them anywhere to buy just Michelin Pilot Sport 3's

Offline Jungle_Faced_Jake

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
Re: Unsure Which Tyres to get for Ed30
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 06:01:42 pm »
I'd be interested to hear the replies to this myself as I need to replace mine soon. Currently have Bridgestone Potenza's which I think are the ones VW fit as standard. They seem OK and handle well enough. There was an EVO tyre test for GTI's a while back and you can download the pdf from their site. The Goodyer Eagle F1's came out as the best all round tyre.

Offline vRS Carl

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 06:16:26 pm »
Do you mean Michelion Pilot Exalto i.e these

http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/michelin-pilot-exalto-pe2

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 06:26:28 pm »
why is this in the spotted section??

Offline vagmaster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 07:25:39 pm »
*sorry it is Michelin Exalto not Exalt

Offline paul896

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 07:55:57 pm »
I'd be interested to hear the replies to this myself as I need to replace mine soon. Currently have Bridgestone Potenza's which I think are the ones VW fit as standard. They seem OK and handle well enough. There was an EVO tyre test for GTI's a while back and you can download the pdf from their site. The Goodyer Eagle F1's came out as the best all round tyre.

+1 for Goodyear (totally un biased opinion, not just because they pay my wages!) The Eag F1 Asymeteric 2 are getting great reviews. Had Dunlop SP MAXX TTs on the Alfa before the Golf, and they were really good as well, gripped well in wet and dry, was very happy with them. The Golf now is running on Uniroyals, and they are only ok, but dont have the confidence in them to enjoy the twisties!

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 08:23:10 pm »
I had the Exaltos on mine and when I switched to the PS2, there was a big difference in both wet and dry conditions. My second rims still have the factory fitted Exaltos and when I switch back for shows, the difference is more than noticeable.

PS2 has been superseded by PS3/PSS so go for either of those.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=lf3itnj9njpjo55gvhjobhtdo0&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 08:26:58 pm »
Can't fault goodyear f1 asymmetrics and the conti sport contact 2 on mine. The both seem to work very well.

.:Tapatalk:.

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 08:43:23 pm »
Got michelin PS3's on mine and can't fault them  :happy2:

Offline Nickyboy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 7
  • 2007 ED30 in Grey
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 08:58:07 pm »
Conti sport contact 2 are the OEM ones I think. I have them on the rear and Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta up front which are excellent in all weathers it has to be said.

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 09:07:51 pm »
someone somewhere else one wrote, "get the best tyres that you can afford, they're the only thing keeping you to the road!"

i wholeheartedly agree with that advice. i've got Falken FK452s and as a balance between performance and price they can't be faulted. if i had had more money at the time i probably would have gone for either Toyo Proxes T1-Rs (what the car came with) or if i was feeling flush some Goodyear F1s. i've heard a lot of ppl mention that they wear quite quickly tho.

anyhow i got my tyres from camskill and paid a local independent to fit at £10 a corner. i couldn't find a better price than that.
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline lee_

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 09:10:41 pm »
Pirelli P Zero Rosso on mine for the last 2k miles, seem better than toyo t1r's so far in both wet and dry conditions.  :happy2:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=lf3itnj9njpjo55gvhjobhtdo0&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 09:17:32 pm »
F1s do wear quite quickly but then again they grip well so....

Id avoid 452 falkens, they don't work on fwd cars, and they wear quickly and badly too.

.:Tapatalk:.

Offline Nickyboy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 7
  • 2007 ED30 in Grey
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 09:45:41 pm »
Good tip if you use blackcircles etc, get a price and then phone the fitted garage direct, saved myself £12 last time.

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 09:46:20 pm »
I seem to spend more ££ per mile on tyres than petrol and have so far had...

Dunlop Sportmaxx: Came as OE fitment from the factory, noisy, horrendous in the wet and average at best in the dry, will eventually wear like a 50p piece...

Conti Sport contact 2: Great in both the wet and dry, relatively quiet, average wear although lacking in ultimate dry grip imo..

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric (gen 1): Fantastic in both the wet and dry, excellent grip and a competent occasional track day tyre, fairly quiet, below average wear rate though, relatively soft sidewall gives the best ride of all the tyres i have tried but prone to sidewall damage/bulges..

Michelin PS3: Better in the wet than the GY F1s although a little down in ultimate dry grip, again a decent occasional track day tyre, quietest of all the tyres i have tried so far, excellent wear rate and looking to last almost twice as long as the GYs!!, stiff sidewall gives a slighter firmer ride but gives a nice sharp initial turn in, best all round tyre i have had so far..

Hankook W300 Ice bear:: Performance winter tyres, astonishing in snow, slush, rain and temps below 10'c and suprisingly good in the dry and when the weather gets warmer, a real eye opener as to how good dedicated winter tyres are!

Federal Rs-R 595: My track tyres, comical levels of grip in the dry when warmed up and not 'that' bad in the wet tbh, come with 8mm tread when new and wearing incredibly well for a track tyre, half the price of R888s for 90% of the grip, i love them!  :smiley:

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here