Make a donation

Author Topic: RNS 510 - 'Regensburg Syndrome'  (Read 18542 times)

Offline nick_johnson

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
RNS 510 - 'Regensburg Syndrome'
« on: September 28, 2011, 02:15:38 pm »
Good Afternoon,

I am need of some RNS 510 help, about 6 months ago after browsing the forums I noticed that I was running old firmware on my Sat Nav unit. I notice that there was a sticky in the Nav section concerning upgrades and I swiftly upgraded to 2760, once I had run the update in the car it was apparent that I could now enter Post Codes however each time I switch the unit on it thought I was in Germany.

On a resent trip to the South Of France it became rather annoying, I notice that I could upgrade to 130X which doesn't support Voice Control but that doest bother me or is there something newer out now.

On a separate note where is the best place to get the latest version of maps? 

Nick   
MK5 Golf - GT 1.4 TSI

Offline nick_johnson

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: RNS 510 - 'Regensburg Syndrome'
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 02:34:52 pm »
Just so you guys know this is what come up 99% of the time when I switch the car on:

MK5 Golf - GT 1.4 TSI

Offline Richn83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 02:39:39 pm »
If you have a Rev a unit then you will get Regensburg Syndrome with the later firmware due to changes in where the last GPS location is stored.  1300 works with 6 figure postcodes from my experience with a B version and will also not have battery drain issues, but not sure if it solves Regensburg syndrome.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 02:44:37 pm »
Regensburg happens even on factory fit nav's and also on A/B/C revisions.

The best way to cure it is either have the gps antenna on the dash (or as high up in the dash as possible) or preferably use the OEM GPS antenna which is roof mounted.

Any firmware above 2660 will cause this issue.

1300 is higher than 2760 as it is based on 2800 firmware but doesn't have voice control.

You won't get rid of it. I get it now with an LED version nav on 2844 firmware. But due to having the OEM Antenna the sympton goes within 5 secs.

Offline nick_johnson

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 02:46:01 pm »
Just about to burn the disc now, so I will report back.

Just to confirm, I will not loose Video In Motion and stored HDD music will I if I install different firmware.

Nick
MK5 Golf - GT 1.4 TSI

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 02:50:44 pm »
Regensburg happens even on factory fit nav's and also on A/B/C revisions.

The best way to cure it is either have the gps antenna on the dash (or as high up in the dash as possible) or preferably use the OEM GPS antenna which is roof mounted.

Any firmware above 2660 will cause this issue.

1300 is higher than 2760 as it is based on 2800 firmware but doesn't have voice control.

You won't get rid of it. I get it now with an LED version nav on 2844 firmware. But due to having the OEM Antenna the sympton goes within 5 secs.

Oh right I have only seen it on A hardware with newer firmware, and not had it on my B and running 38xx (I dont have working POI but thats a different issue)

I know you know more about this than me Carl so must just be my limited experience of 3-4 units!

Nick cant comment on VIM depends how its been enabled, you only loose HDD music if its a full revision firmware which formats the HDD, incremental changes leave maps and music intacted.  Carl or my-gti will tell you which are the full format versions.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

Offline nick_johnson

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 02:51:19 pm »
I get it now with an LED version nav on 2844 firmware. But due to having the OEM Antenna the sympton goes within 5 secs.

Carl,

I would be happy to wait 5 seconds I am not that impatient :happy2:, you mention a OEM Antenna for the best fix do you mean a roof mounted? If so where could I get myself one of these, do you have a VW pat number?

Nick  
MK5 Golf - GT 1.4 TSI

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 03:29:08 pm »
Installing new firmware "shouldn't" wipe the HDD or alter VIM etc. There is a CD available to download now that will re-enable it.

The only firmwares that im aware of will wipe the drives are 1200, 2660 and any 3XXX firmware (if coming from a 2XXX firmware) as they repartition the drive.

The OEM Antenna is the Roof mounted one. I can get the part no. but im away with work at the moment and haven't got my laptop with me. If you ring a VW Dealer they should be able to tell you the P/no. and also order you one.

I'm not guaranteeing that it will be 5 secs for you but the longest i've had to wait is about 30 secs.

Oh right I have only seen it on A hardware with newer firmware, and not had it on my B and running 38xx (I dont have working POI but thats a different issue)

I know you know more about this than me Carl so must just be my limited experience of 3-4 units!

No worries mate :drinking: Not all units will display Regensburg which is why i think (but can't prove) it is also down to GPS hardware.

I have a Skoda LED (which is newer than a VW C LED) and i still get it even with 2844 firmware.

Offline nick_johnson

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 04:28:29 pm »
Thanks Carl, you have been very helpful.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 04:55:21 pm by nick_johnson »
MK5 Golf - GT 1.4 TSI

Offline nick_johnson

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 04:51:59 pm »
One other thing Carl, could you advise me on the best place to get a latest up to date version of Maps.

I have a slightly updated version I believe but not the latest, it does however have speed cameras loaded on it, will this be something that would stays if updated to the latest version. 
MK5 Golf - GT 1.4 TSI

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 04:56:05 pm »
Nick, if you are on a 2xxx and go to another 2xxx then you will keep all your maps and music, which will include the move to 1300.  So with 2760 you can move to any other 2xxx without issue to the hard drive.

you might need to get the VIM cd that carl mentions.

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 06:03:28 pm »
I suffer from this chronically Nick and I've been on about four different firmware versions in the time I've had the RNS 510.

I think now I'm on the latest firmware after a trip down to see Stu, but it still does it and this is the reason I carry a TomTom with me and have a HTC GPS ready mobile phone  :ashamed:  :grin:

I'd say around 1 in 5 trips, I'll flick to the Nav after 30 minutes + on the road and it'll have magically detected I'm on the A14 or M1, two places you'd expect to be a volcano hot spot for signal and satellite availability. Never mind, apart from that I still think it's a fantastic bit of kit as a unit :smiley:
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 06:30:23 pm »
One other thing Carl, could you advise me on the best place to get a latest up to date version of Maps.

I have a slightly updated version I believe but not the latest, it does however have speed cameras loaded on it, will this be something that would stays if updated to the latest version. 

There are People who have map discs. The latest is 7.2 (but V8 is due any day and east Europe V8 are out)

If you change the maps you will lose the speed cameras unless you get a modified map disc which has the speed cameras added.

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 10:00:47 pm »
does v8 have poi support for the 3xxx firmware stu or will that need to be custom via SD card?

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 07:23:40 am »
My name is Carl not Stu :P

I haven't got much experience with 3XXX firmwares but I believe the 39XX firmwares do.