Make a donation

Author Topic: Eletronic boost controllers  (Read 2051 times)

Offline graeme

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
Eletronic boost controllers
« on: September 29, 2011, 09:33:27 pm »
does any one on here run these on here ? if so are they any good on the tfsi engines ?

cheers Graeme.

Offline SteveP

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
Re: Eletronic boost controllers
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 09:34:04 pm »
Why would you want one? the ECU already does this for you  :confused:

Offline graeme

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 09:51:27 pm »
funny enough it helps controll the boost as they use faster solinoids and in some cases 2 and makes the boost ajustable , just helps thing as well as built in turbo timers etc , really depend on if u have a standard turbo or not i suppose but they are handy peices of kit ... just not sure what they are like on tfsi engines ?.

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 10:10:31 pm »
The point Steve is making is that the ECU used in the GTI completely controls boost pressure based on an electronic solenoid diverter valve so for example at idle the turbo wont produce more than 10-20mbar above atmospheric pressure.  So why do you need a driver set boost situation when the ECU can do it multiple times per second.

The TFSI engine also has a secondary coolant system that runs an electric pump that pumps the coolant the wrong way through the turbo to avoid issues with shutting off a hot turbo, this with better oil technology means a turbo timer isnt necessary.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline graeme

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 10:13:12 pm »
thanks thats the imformation i was looking for  :happy2:

Offline JMP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 11:28:29 am »
The point Steve is making is that the ECU used in the GTI completely controls boost pressure based on an electronic solenoid diverter valve so for example at idle the turbo wont produce more than 10-20mbar above atmospheric pressure.  So why do you need a driver set boost situation when the ECU can do it multiple times per second.

To be fair, petrol engine is producing a vacuum when idling and turbo is not producing anything.

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 11:47:12 am »
Sorry badly written, what I really meant was when sat not in gear (DSG) Park and reving the engine the turbo produces 10-20mbar of boost where it would produce more in gear as the electronic control stops it boosting.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline graeme

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 06:15:09 pm »
i knew what he ment the car sits at 320 and atmostpheric in my car is 1010  :wink: