Make a donation

Author Topic: S3 engine conversion in a mk5 golf, help and advice with purchasing engine??  (Read 31850 times)

Offline luckyGti

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 27
I'm considering buying a S3 engine to have fitted in my mk5 golf, currently i have a ko4 conversion on my gti but need to replace the turbo so i thought that maybe it's a good idea to replace everything in the quest for a stronger and more reliable set up.

I would like some advice from the technical guys here on what i should  be aware of and what to look out for when buying a second hand engine, every classified advert i read states low mileage etc but how can these guys who sell prove that they are genuine low mileage should they come with any kind of paperwork??   

Could the experts out there please advise me what i should be looking for and what questions should i be asking the seller to make sure i end up with another can of worms.

Any advice on conversions no matter how basic would be gratefully received as i'm completely clueless when it comes to these kind of things and would really like to avoid any costly amateur mistakes.

With the replacement S3 engine would i need it to be complete with loom and ecu or could i use what's is currently on my mk5, I'm guessing though that i would need it to come with the s3 ecu as the engines are slightly different.

Thanks all  :happy2:

Offline E30Dom

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
Forget S3,  go for RS-TT 2.5l   :driver:
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
Last 2.5TFSI I saw went for 7k.......

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
^^  :party: Stormdevelopments for the above

Stattler in Sheffield for the straight 2.0 Tfsi swap, SteveJnr knows his beans in the VAG circle  :happy2:  

Offline luckyGti

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
Forget S3,  go for RS-TT 2.5l   :driver:

:signLOL: I did briefly scan ebay for the 2.5 engine but there aren't any available and i'm sure it would cost mega money to buy in the first place.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587

Offline luckyGti

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
Last 2.5TFSI I saw went for 7k.......

Thought that would be the case :happy2:

Offline luckyGti

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You

Stattler in Sheffield for the straight 2.0 Tfsi swap, SteveJnr knows his beans in the VAG circle  :happy2:  

Great advice Mike, just spoke to Steve jnr and think i'm going get them to install a new S3/edition 30 engine  which will save me messing around sourcing an engine etc  :happy2:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home

Great advice Mike, just spoke to Steve jnr and think i'm going get them to install a new S3/edition 30 engine  which will save me messing around sourcing an engine etc  :happy2:

Not a problem, visit Stattler regular when Im home in England  :happy2:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
All though admittedly very good, Statlers charge an arm and a leg for their conversions.

Joes GTI bought one of a chap on here for, i think £1200ish fitted for him as well. He then sold his GTI engine for £700ish so it cost him about £500, probably a bit more all told, for a S3 engine with stage 2+ map on it already.  :smiley:

This guy has one sitting in his garage that he might not want anymore.  :wink:

There has been loads of threads on here mate with stage 3 k04 cars not quite making the same power as edition 30s / s3s / cupras with stage 2 + and a few tuners suggested that to me aswell thats one of the reasons why i chose not to go stage 3 and sell my GTI, maybe your car just produces a bit more, and brings it in line.
then again it could be due to different RRs

Once again, unless you compare cars on the same RR the argument is pointless. JKM's rollers have measured variious converted KO4's and factory KO4's and the average bhp is the same.

Secondly my mate has a Cupra stage 2+ which i have driven and have had a play against and it's NOT faster than my converted KO4.

I actually got a second hand proper S3 BHZ engine in the garage that i got very cheap thinking i would get more power but after researching the only reason i would fit it to my vRS is if i blew my own engine.

Offline luckyGti

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
All though admittedly very good, Statlers charge an arm and a leg for their conversions.

Joes GTI bought one of a chap on here for, i think £1200ish fitted for him as well. He then sold his GTI engine for £700ish so it cost him about £500, probably a bit more all told, for a S3 engine with stage 2+ map on it already.  :smiley:

This guy has one sitting in his garage that he might not want anymore.  :wink:

There has been loads of threads on here mate with stage 3 k04 cars not quite making the same power as edition 30s / s3s / cupras with stage 2 + and a few tuners suggested that to me aswell thats one of the reasons why i chose not to go stage 3 and sell my GTI, maybe your car just produces a bit more, and brings it in line.
then again it could be due to different RRs

Once again, unless you compare cars on the same RR the argument is pointless. JKM's rollers have measured variious converted KO4's and factory KO4's and the average bhp is the same.

Secondly my mate has a Cupra stage 2+ which i have driven and have had a play against and it's NOT faster than my converted KO4.

I actually got a second hand proper S3 BHZ engine in the garage that i got very cheap thinking i would get more power but after researching the only reason i would fit it to my vRS is if i blew my own engine.

Thanks for the heads up  :happy2: , funnily enough i actually emailed mickey 32 yesterday to see if he wanted to part with it but he said he wanted to keep hold of it in case his engine died.

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
This might still turn out to be an expensive proposition as I'm guessing you'll still have to get/supply a new k04 turbo on top of the engine swap.
What about mapping, is revo going to see you as an old or new customer with a different ecu as the price difference is not insubstantial.

Big question is will you be gaining anything tangable in real world terms compared to your present setup. Only you can answer that question.  :smiley:

Without traction power is nothing!

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home

I believe turbo is included.

I often wonder where you would stand with engine swap & remap like you ay with it being a different ECU ?

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
I believe turbo is included.
I hope you're correct as I thought of this as being a 'long' engine replacement i.e block+cylinder head and ecu, the rest of the parts being transplanted from the old engine.
Without traction power is nothing!