Make a donation

Author Topic: S3 engine conversion in a mk5 golf, help and advice with purchasing engine??  (Read 32555 times)

Offline luckyGti

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 27
I believe turbo is included.
I hope you're correct as I thought of this as being a 'long' engine replacement i.e block+cylinder head and ecu, the rest of the parts being transplanted from the old engine.

Mike is correct, turbo is included and think it's £1500+vat for complete low mileage s3/edition 30 engine and turbo obviously you have fitting which is another £500+vat

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
I believe turbo is included.
I hope you're correct as I thought of this as being a 'long' engine replacement i.e block+cylinder head and ecu, the rest of the parts being transplanted from the old engine.

Mike is correct, turbo is included and think it's £1500+vat for complete low mileage s3/edition 30 engine and turbo obviously you have fitting which is another £500+vat

Once you throw in a 2+ map that is a lot of money compared to buying a new turbo.  :smiley: even with your bargaining skills.  :wink:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587

Is it at all possible to make existing ECU work??

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
All though admittedly very good, Statlers charge an arm and a leg for their conversions.

Joes GTI bought one of a chap on here for, i think £1200ish fitted for him as well. He then sold his GTI engine for £700ish so it cost him about £500, probably a bit more all told, for a S3 engine with stage 2+ map on it already.  :smiley:

This guy has one sitting in his garage that he might not want anymore.  :wink:

There has been loads of threads on here mate with stage 3 k04 cars not quite making the same power as edition 30s / s3s / cupras with stage 2 + and a few tuners suggested that to me aswell thats one of the reasons why i chose not to go stage 3 and sell my GTI, maybe your car just produces a bit more, and brings it in line.
then again it could be due to different RRs

Once again, unless you compare cars on the same RR the argument is pointless. JKM's rollers have measured variious converted KO4's and factory KO4's and the average bhp is the same.

Secondly my mate has a Cupra stage 2+ which i have driven and have had a play against and it's NOT faster than my converted KO4.

I actually got a second hand proper S3 BHZ engine in the garage that i got very cheap thinking i would get more power but after researching the only reason i would fit it to my vRS is if i blew my own engine.

bang on sunshine,

i put a ed30 with stage2+ software on in mine, paid £1300 for the engine and fitting with the software already on it. Then sold my old engine (with a cracked turbo) for £700.

Check my project thred, and PM me if you need any info. The clocks were the hardest part to get sorted, i ended up de-activating the imob.

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline luckyGti

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You

Once you throw in a 2+ map that is a lot of money compared to buying a new turbo.  :smiley: even with your bargaining skills.  :wink:

My haggling skills have gone out the window this time, I should be able get some kind of deal with switching over from stage 3 to stage 2+, a new turbo would of been a cheaper option but i'm buying into peace of mind reliability and stronger internals just in case i ever decide to go down the bigger turbo route as i'm limited with the current engine  :happy2:

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 146
I wish I would have know Stadtlers was so cheap I paid £2582.80 for my hybrid turbo and rebuild and another £££ for the mapping at RSTuning and still have a diesel :sad1:

So we're talking £2500 with the Vat for the full engine and fitting?? Wow wheres the smiley withe the foot up its ars

Darren   

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
I wish I would have know Stadtlers was so cheap I paid £2582.80 for my hybrid turbo and rebuild and another £££ for the mapping at RSTuning and still have a diesel :sad1:

So we're talking £2500 with the Vat for the full engine and fitting?? Wow wheres the smiley withe the foot up its ars

Darren   

:fighting2: - close lol

Offline micky 32

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
As far as i know the S3 and GTi engine are the same and the only difference is the S3 engine has different internals. So it should be a straight swap using your existing looms etc and ancillaries. You already have Revo stage 3 which is based on Revo stage 2+ so you shouldn't have a problem. I think Harry on Briskoda put a S3 lump in his vRS running Revo 3.
2008 Octavia vRS K04'd , Forge twintercooler, Evoms, Autotech uprated pump, full Milltek exhaust 324bhp on JKM's rollers ;-)

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email

Is it at all possible to make existing ECU work??

Yes, both engines use the same ECU. (Bosch ME9-can) just need to map it correctly.

Offline luckyGti

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You

bang on sunshine,

i put a ed30 with stage2+ software on in mine, paid £1300 for the engine and fitting with the software already on it. Then sold my old engine (with a cracked turbo) for £700.

Check my project thred, and PM me if you need any info. The clocks were the hardest part to get sorted, i ended up de-activating the imob.

You managed to get an outstanding deal there  :happy2:  I've had a look through ebay/pistonheads and people seem to want crazy prices for just the engine without the turbo, it will cost me more than sourcing the parts myself but in theory will be as good as off the shelf as possible with hopefully none of the little hitches that you encountered.  Don't get me wrong i would love to be able to achieve what you did for the price but realistically it's never going to happen.

I'm not the luckiest when it comes to saving a few pennies by sourcing everything myself and i know it would end up costing me more in the long run trying to iron out the inevitable issues that will spring up an deja vu of my ko4 conversion.

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
Cheers Mike :laugh:

Darren

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
Or well ill take it in the back side the next time, although bargain days today bagged some Porsche calipers cheap for the soot chucker  :happy2:

Darren

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 12
  • Bicester
    • Email
Good luck with the swap mate, let us know how u get on  :party:
2010 3dr phantom black S-Tronic S3 - BCS TBE with 3½" DP - LOBA LO4xx turbo - LOBA HPFP - Revo CAI - H&R 25mm lowering springs - Forge 11mm spacers - RS4 fuel Pressure valve - THS intercooler - H&R front and rear ARB's - AEM water methanol injection

Offline heady2010

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
so basiclly your saying your better off putting a ko4 on to the existing engine instead? how do the nornal gti engines hold up with the k04 internal wise?