Make a donation

Author Topic: S3 engine conversion in a mk5 golf, help and advice with purchasing engine??  (Read 31854 times)

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
so basiclly your saying your better off putting a ko4 on to the existing engine instead? how do the nornal gti engines hold up with the k04 internal wise?

Apparently the internals hold up very well both here in the UK and in the US where far more folk have made this upgrade without any major issues being reported.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline luckyGti

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 27
In a ideal world you would want an s3/edition 30 engine but putting a ko4 on a standard gti engine is absolutely fine and 99% of people don't have any issues at all.

Offline luckyGti

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
Good luck with the swap mate, let us know how u get on  :party:

Thanks bud, after our conversation the other night i decided it's the best way to make the most out of the car  :happy2:

Offline heady2010

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Am I right in saying for a ko4 conversion you need a turbo, s3 injectors and mapping? What bhp is generally achieved after the conversion?

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
This may be a completely stupid thing to say, but since the majority of the engine is the same couldnt you just change the internals of the normal GTi engine with S3/Ed30 cmas and head change injectors and inter-cooler add S3 or ED30 map to the ECU and you would have the same engine, plus you ECU and immo wouldnt need to change?

Just trying to think outside the box, and surely that would involve less work and you would then know the engine history and while the work is being done you can clean the valves and cylinders up.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
This may be a completely stupid thing to say, but since the majority of the engine is the same couldnt you just change the internals of the normal GTi engine with S3/Ed30 cmas and head change injectors and inter-cooler add S3 or ED30 map to the ECU and you would have the same engine, plus you ECU and immo wouldnt need to change?

Just trying to think outside the box, and surely that would involve less work and you would then know the engine history and while the work is being done you can clean the valves and cylinders up.

Seems a logical suggestion even from here inside the box lol

Offline Richn83

• Thank You

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
This thread is quite interesting.

http://www.vagsg.com/forums/showpost.php?p=417150&postcount=468

That is interesting.  I did wonder, if people are having filthy valves cleaned, why not have the ports ported & Polished at the same time for better flow

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
Mmmm gas flowed head, cams, forged pistons, rods, baffled sump, new bearings/seals... Big turbo... mmmm
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline luckyGti

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You

It's a very valid point and actually probably the most sensible thing to do, but i'm opting for the easiest most off the shelf solution, granted it comes at a price but at the same time i would be looking at £950 for a new turbo from an official shop, then add all the labour costs in stripping the engine back and replacing many parts including sourcing the parts from an s3 engine i would be nearing the £2000 mark i reckon, it would be one thing if i was competent under the bonnet but unfortunately i'm hopeless and checking the oil level is as far as my expertise goes.

Offline luckyGti

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
This thread is quite interesting.

http://www.vagsg.com/forums/showpost.php?p=417150&postcount=468

Excellent link, do you know if they carried on stripping the engine down in a future thread  :happy2:

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
only found it today after reading this thread and seeing if I could find uprated engine parts on the inter web, so if they did go further I havent found it yet, but it would be very interesting to see if they did.

Offline baldwined30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
Just reading this thread and is it me or does this engine swap seem like an awful lot of messing around for a few horses!! maybe do it if yours went pop after all the bolt ons but i really cant see the point! Mine struggles enough putting the power down on the front! Just my opinion
Ed30

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
I did wonder, if people are having filthy valves cleaned, why not have the ports ported & Polished at the same time for better flow

The simplest method for periodic cleaning the intake valves in our engine is to use a walnut blaster. It removes the buildup without having to remove the head, just the intake.

I believe bmw also use this method on their direct port injection engines.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
I did wonder, if people are having filthy valves cleaned, why not have the ports ported & Polished at the same time for better flow

The simplest method for periodic cleaning the intake valves in our engine is to use a walnut blaster. It removes the buildup without having to remove the head, just the intake.

I believe bmw also use this method on their direct port injection engines.

Walnut blaster? How does it work?