Make a donation

Author Topic: Air Intake  (Read 9364 times)

Offline prepree

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 11
Re: Air Intake
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2009, 12:05:58 am »
Just found the GruppeM, il paste a link below, looks amazing!! but cant afford 78,000 JPY :signLOL:

https://www.gruppem.co.jp/onlinestore_en/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_24&products_id=508

Offline ukdub

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2009, 01:09:58 am »
Sucky sucky.  Me love you long time.

Laser Blue with K04 power, APR hardware controlled by REVO 2+ software
Chassis by KW V3's, Whiteline and a hint of PRO race 1.2's
Brakes by Brembo 4 pots

Offline chungster

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2009, 06:23:46 am »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2009, 08:45:13 am »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 19
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Project MUBster DUBster Evolution
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2009, 08:56:59 am »
The Pipercross is very similar...you have to remove the aire filter in the engine cover.

Just noticed the oil dip stick is in a different location to mine...interesting  :chicken:

Offline VWTroy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2009, 09:00:41 am »
Okay guy's so it looks like you guys prefer the filter on the end of a pipe which on a rolling road gives the best performance gains in Bhp/torque, but the Carbonio works at a higher speed as the Cool air is forced into the air box (ram air) so do any of you now how they perform side by side as its very difficult to measure these 2 system side by side as they work differently, I dont know alot about car engines, but sports bikes work on forced induction and are very difficult to measure Bhp on dyno's as its difficult to mimic the air speed being forced in at high speed. So does anybody know or am I talking out of my A-se :confused:

ED30/Bluefin/Eibach sportsline/Jetex Filter/Powerflex dogbone bush.

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2009, 09:10:42 am »
VWTroy,

You're absolutely right... personally, I have fitted the induction kit for the acoustics and cosmetic appeal (under the hood).

Realistically, I don't think anyone can expect more the 1-4bhp in normal driving conditions (if you're lucky).  Air induction kits aren't all that they are made out to be....

I was fortunate enough to dyno my car with the PiperCross with a great big f*ck off jet fan pumping air at the front.  Guess what?  The bhp was exactly the same as a stock car - 197.  We did the test some 5 times...and like clock work got the same result every time.

Perhaps this explains why 95% of air induction kits never guarantee a specific bhp value increase.  The way I look at it is...it's a small piece in the jigsaw puzzle in the overall modding project.

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2009, 10:01:12 am »
The Pipercross is very similar...you have to remove the aire filter in the engine cover.

Hmm, if you remove the stock air filter from the air box you lose the air tight seal the filter provides so you'll be sucking up unfiltered air into the turbo/engine. Also there is a drain hole at the bottom of housing, is that blocked off using that intake kit?
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline billyboy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
  • Billy lar
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2009, 10:18:59 am »

Hmm, if you remove the stock air filter from the air box you lose the air tight seal the filter provides so you'll be sucking up unfiltered air into the turbo/engine. Also there is a drain hole at the bottom of housing, is that blocked off using that intake kit?
kwik fix is cut out the sandard filter to leave the rubber seal, and fit that into the groove to seal, then put the cover back 2gether

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2009, 10:57:36 am »

VW replace that air filter in any case as part of their servicing...I suppose it's designed that way...?

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2009, 10:58:43 am »

kwik fix is cut out the sandard filter to leave the rubber seal, and fit that into the groove to seal, then put the cover back 2gether

As part of the Pipercross kit you get a replacement pass thru filter which essentially is the seal with a large mesh to let the air pass through freely.

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2009, 11:05:20 am »

As part of the Pipercross kit you get a replacement pass thru filter which essentially is the seal with a large mesh to let the air pass through freely.

What about the water drain hole, is that blocked off?
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline luca

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2009, 11:16:14 am »
IMO the Dbilas is the best design i have seen so far. Not a fan of open filters at all

Tornado red ED30, Revo stage 2, ITG Panel filter, 3" Blueflame turbo back exhaust, leon cupra front brakes, ecs dogbone mount, WALK kit, Eibach sportlines, Satin black Monza II's, VWR/sachs paddle clutch

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2009, 11:44:42 am »

IMO the Dbilas is the best design i have seen so far. Not a fan of open filters at all

.... x2 - I'm not a fan of open filters either.

The new Carbonio/APR appears to be a good design and I've heard that APR will be bringing out a FSI engine version to accommodate the different position of the MAF from the later TSI engines it is now available for.

Linky : - Carbonio TSI Intake Info

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline pazz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2009, 08:55:27 pm »
£365 aint cheap at all

Especially when 95% of is plastic. Yes you hear me, the pipework is plastic.

The BSH one gets better reviews and is metal pipework, so gonna wait for this groupbuy.