Make a donation

Author Topic: Issue with VW, who is to blame?  (Read 2731 times)

Offline Tamiyoman

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
Issue with VW, who is to blame?
« on: December 02, 2011, 10:50:42 am »
Hi, currently having an Issue with VW, they say I am to blame and I say its their issue to resolve.

Here is what happened:-

My car came with 1 key so needed a spare key cut, went to VW parts dept at local dealer and asked how much it was for lower part of the Key (Key blade and transponder section) they said a whole key was £169.50, I said I only need the lower part as I have an upper part already, parts man then stated they dont sell just lower part, i said i think you do as i have seen the parts number. After checking he came back and said he could not find anything in system and then I asked could I buy a second hand key and get this cut myself and VW code it for me?, he replied yes that will work just fine and that coding would cost £60, I said ok, he then said its a better option if you dont the whole key as you can probably get a used key for £20, i said I would do that then rather than pay £170 for a whole key which I did not need.

I got home came on the forums and then found the parts number myself for lower part of key 1T0 837 246 INB so they did sell them?!.

I got a used key with blank blade and got it cut, took it to VW for coding and sat 2 hours waiting (thank god for angry birds on iphone!).

They then called me over with an issue, the key (used one) wont work and wont code to the car and it has put a message on the highline (which covers up mileage and trip section) saying "SAFE", he advised me that it was my fault as I gave them a key that wont work, I pointed out that It was THEIR parts chap who told me I can do this!.

They now told me I need a new "Module" fitted to clear the "SAFE" from screen which is going to cost £125 and they had to order the lower part of the key from germany (Which I gave them the parts number for as they could not find it themselves!) so that cost me £53 plus £60 coding  charge (fair enough).

The bit I have issue with is they want me to pay the £125 to fix their issue, am I right here, the car went to them working fine and original key worked fine, now it says "safe" all the time (And I dont think thats ghetto speak for "cool" lol), but ithe error occured on advice from their parts chap who said i COULD use a second hand key, otherwise I would have just gone ho,e given them the parts number and asked them tto order the lower part and this would not have happened.

I emailed Eddie-NL who aid if they clear both keys from system (effectively meaning no keys for car) and then re-code the ORIGINAL key) it should clear the issue, I mentioned this to them on one of our back and forth calls and they said the tech tried that but did not work and needs this "Module" to fix error after advice from VW headquarters.

Tell me if im right or wrong here chaps.

I have already told the lady I have been speaking to that it is VW's issue to fix and that I will be speaking to manager as I dont think I should pay the £125, im happy to pay the £53 for key and £60 coding, this is also costing me another 35 mile round trip and 3 hours out of my day, im booked in on tuesday 6th, any advice what I shold be saying to them or is it just a case of pointing out facts and stamping my feet until i get my own way?, or should I speak directly to the Site manager and ask for product manager if nothing is hapnin?

let me know what you guys think?.

Cheers
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 10:55:49 am by Tamiyoman »
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline GTsport

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
Re: Issue with VW, who is to blame?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 11:01:28 am »
If i was you id log a complaint with VW UK Head office.

For the sake of them upsetting you and arguing over £125.00 they should just sort it!

I had to do the same to sort out getting my flywheel replaced under warrenty, the dealer was having none of it then once id complained to headoffice they rang the dealer and it got sorted!

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 11:08:58 am »
Cheers for that I will see what they say on tuesday and mention that to them, I also already told the lady I spoke to that my car is due its £249 service in 600 miles (should be about January) and that 4 months later the car is due its cambelt and waterpump service (£399) and that I was planning on getting VW to do the work but if this issue is not sorted then I will go elsewhere!

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 03:09:16 pm »
Hi Myles

Sorry to hear that this issue has not been resolved, pretty poor service in my view.
Be persistent with VW CS

I take it the dealer is Cookes of Fakenham?

what do they want to replace? as the immo info is in the cluster

Ed
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

Offline GTsport

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 09:58:08 pm »
Cheers for that I will see what they say on tuesday and mention that to them, I also already told the lady I spoke to that my car is due its £249 service in 600 miles (should be about January) and that 4 months later the car is due its cambelt and waterpump service (£399) and that I was planning on getting VW to do the work but if this issue is not sorted then I will go elsewhere!

Stick to your guns - they'll no doubt try and fobbed you off but if you show to them you'll not budge and be a PITA to them then hopefully they'll agree to sort it for you.

I hate dealing with the dealers!!!!  I dont think its just VW either, had dealings through work with Jaguar, Porsche, Audi, Saab, Landrover & Vauxhall and they're all as bad as each other!!!

good luck  :happy2:
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 10:09:16 pm by GTsport »

Offline lukejenks101

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 10:09:14 pm »
As said go to head office, i work for robins and day in the parts department and the service desk normally cant do alot, but once a complaint has been lodged peugeot will normally pay the majority if not all of it! I'd imagine most dealers would be the same

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 09:53:05 am »
Hi Myles

Sorry to hear that this issue has not been resolved, pretty poor service in my view.
Be persistent with VW CS

I take it the dealer is Cookes of Fakenham?

what do they want to replace? as the immo info is in the cluster

Ed

Hi thanks for replies guys, its the Kings Lynn VW Dealership,  I am not sure what they want to replace, they just called it a "Unit" (I assumed in the cluster?).

Will speak to VW customer service tomorrow and lodge a complaint about it and let them know the car is going in the following day!.

As far as im concerned I was given bad advice (and service) by parts chap which led to this issue.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 09:58:15 am by Tamiyoman »

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 01:36:30 pm »
Well just back from VW with car fully sorted, they replaced a "Starter Switch" parts number below and did not charge me for it in light of the facts i provided to them.
Happy with outcome and the car is sorted.

Parts number was 1K0905865A

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 02:50:25 pm »
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 05:59:42 pm »
Yeah, not sure how that affects the immobilizer tho lol.

Either way I did not have to pay the stupid amount they wanted to fix an error caused by their mis-information so im happy.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 09:54:36 pm »
Good ole KL VW - I had a few run-ins with them.  :fighting:

They used to be brilliant when they used to be owned by Brundle - how the mighty have fallen. :stupid:
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~