Make a donation

Author Topic: Hurdy's Polo GTI..time for a new project!!  (Read 274184 times)

Offline stu_no_1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
Re: Hurdy's Polo GTI..time for a new project!!
« Reply #855 on: July 23, 2012, 09:13:17 pm »
get an r32 and go down the turbo route looks like you have a fair bit money to spend on cars so that shouldnt be a problem lol cant beleive how quick this car is for a 1.4

Offline Hurdy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #856 on: July 30, 2012, 07:24:20 pm »
get an r32 and go down the turbo route looks like you have a fair bit money to spend on cars so that shouldnt be a problem lol cant beleive how quick this car is for a 1.4

The next project is already forming in my head, just want to finish this one first. :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #857 on: July 30, 2012, 07:25:16 pm »
Little update.....

Did a few runs today to log EGT's and lambda..

EGT's not pushing over 840oC = good.

Lambda on full throttle runs is 0.828 = also good.

Means there is some leaway to push things further, so by the end of this week I should have more powwwweeerrrrrrrr!!!!! :evilgrin:
Golf R gone.

h4rdy

« Reply #858 on: July 30, 2012, 07:28:54 pm »
John did I read on here that your insurance is set to a maximum power so you can basically do what you want within reason?

Can you let me know who that is with?

Here or PM whichever is appropriate.

Justin

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #859 on: July 30, 2012, 08:03:08 pm »
I'm with Adrian Flux. I just notify them of any changes up to my power limit........may have to revise that power limit now as it was 250bhp IIRC!!

Any amendments need to be told the Insurer though as normal. :happy2:

Golf R gone.

h4rdy

« Reply #860 on: July 30, 2012, 08:15:47 pm »
Thanks John.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #861 on: August 02, 2012, 04:32:42 pm »
Well things have gone well with the new mod on board. The car has been thoroughly logged and is happy and without a hint of any misfires. The turbo is strong at the top end and the car feels great from 5.5k rpm to the redline. The turbo will hold 2.0 bar all the way to the redline, but for longevity the turbo is backed off to 1.6 bar at the redline. This compares with 1.33 bar peak that Revo asks for on the stock turbo at stage 2 that drops to 1.3 bar at the redline. The main thing is that EGT'S and AFR are well within safe parameters.

:happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #862 on: August 06, 2012, 02:14:59 pm »
Tested the car out at Blyton Park this weekend. Lovely little track with plenty of off-track run-offs if you get over exhuberant with the throttle out of corners :evilgrin: The Polo performed very well indeed and ate up plenty of other cars on track during the day. There were some downsides to the day........

1. My car wasn't the fastest   :sad1:
2. The car definitely needs an oil cooler as temps were over 130oC when the WMI ran out on one session.
3. The car has inordinate thirst for Water Methanol - I took over 10 litres of the stuff and was down to the last litre when I left. :rolleye:

The upsides were.......

1. The Federal 595RSR's were really great on track - I doubt if tyres at £50 a corner dearer would perform any better. They didn't wear too much and didn't go "chewy" like some of the softer compound tyres do.
2. The car handles very well - for a change I set the car up on the damping to full hard as the track is absolutely flat, although hitting some of the corner strips did induce spinal shock! :laugh:
3. The car is fast on track too, and I mean faster than my Ed30 would have been, especially in cornering.

Here is a video that one of the guys took on the day. You briefly see my car storming past at around 1'45" and again lapping him at 9'35"

Golf R gone.

h4rdy

« Reply #863 on: August 08, 2012, 08:08:12 pm »
John, how are you getting on with the WMI on a daily basis?

Is it a case of fill it up when you fill the petrol up or is it better than that.

Do you think the spare wheel well on the Polo is deeper than the Golf?

Where have you relocated your tools, pump and puncture repair gunk to?

If you run out of Meth I guess distilled water is ok without Meth?

Alex has said he can wire it in so when low level comes on it, I think, cuts the N75 so I guess just wastegate boost. Is that something you have done?

h4rdy

« Reply #864 on: August 08, 2012, 08:23:02 pm »
Oh and where do you buy the Meth from?

Is it Methanol 'General use'?

http://www.reagent.co.uk/methanol

And Distilled water only yes?

So I would have to buy an RO unit for under the sink?

Sorry John, I am just making sure its the right thing, but the 25WHP you quoted in another post is appealing.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #865 on: August 08, 2012, 09:12:36 pm »
The WMI is running great for daily use.

I bought my Methanol from Wessex chemicals. They will supply in bulk and I bought 99.98% pure Methanol grade.

http://www.wessexchemicalfactors.co.uk/contact.php

Distilled water is best (and a must use in hard water areas), however I live in a soft water area, so can filter and boil my water, which makes it just as good as distilled as long as I use it regularly.....which I do.

On a day to day basis the WMI is used at the rate of 4 litres  for every tank of fuel on my car. On your car I'd reckon on 5litres per tank as your fuel tank is 2.7 gallons bigger than mine. On track you would use much more. I took 10 litres to my last trackday and used 9.

The spare wheel well is much deeper on the Polo as I can still have my tools in the well, the race battery AND the WMI bottle. Water is okay to use without the meth too as it will still give you better cooling.

The bottle can be wired in with a sensor to detect low levels and can be linked up to wherever you want it. From the low level sensor on the screenwash to the N75. I currently don't have a sensor as I'm not tuned for WMI, so if it runs out the car will run as normal......just with less power.

The bottle I have installed is a 3litre bottle, but I'd suggest either a gallon bottle or even their 10 litre bottle that is baffled for track use. The bigger the bottle, the less often you need to fill it, but the heavier it is when full! a bit of a trade off.
Golf R gone.

h4rdy

« Reply #866 on: August 08, 2012, 09:49:25 pm »
Thanks again John.

I will probably have it mapped upto it tbh.

Not sure if Alex said I can turn the wick right up on the timing.

I just need to find out how drivable with wastegate actuator boost.

Thanks again.

Justin

h4rdy

« Reply #867 on: August 08, 2012, 09:56:00 pm »
I suppose it will have to be stored in a metal fire proof cabinet?

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #868 on: August 08, 2012, 10:57:12 pm »
I suppose it will have to be stored in a metal fire proof cabinet?

Its advisable to mix it down straight away and stored outside of your property.

Could incorporate a override switch, so that when you do run out, you can return settings to 99ron and not have to run wastegate pressures

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #869 on: August 08, 2012, 10:59:33 pm »
Mine is stored in its own housing, separate to anything else and the door has the red flammable label on it.  :smiley:
Golf R gone.