Make a donation

Author Topic: Hurdy's Polo GTI..time for a new project!!  (Read 281176 times)

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
Re: Hurdy's Polo GTI..time for a new project!!
« Reply #600 on: January 27, 2012, 02:05:33 pm »
I was at Statllers yesterday, they were discussing this and trying to persuade me to fit a kit to the Golf...

I am thinking about it and will be interested to see how you get along!

Rgds
Matt

Did you get a price for supply & fit?  :happy2:

Offline RagingKileak

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #601 on: January 27, 2012, 02:44:30 pm »
I was at Statllers yesterday, they were discussing this and trying to persuade me to fit a kit to the Golf...

I am thinking about it and will be interested to see how you get along!

Rgds
Matt

Did you get a price for supply & fit?  :happy2:

No - I didn't have any real idea what I was talking about at the time, so thought I would do some research first.

I'd also just shelled out another £350 for the work they did, so wasn't especially keen to spend more - following a water pump/cam belt 3 months ago and a £1700 mod/revamp session only a month or two before that!!!

Matt

Offline Leonard

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #602 on: January 27, 2012, 05:09:11 pm »

*thinks....mmmmmmm R8 twin turbo!! :drool:*

You could buy a frickin R8 for the price of all these (admittedly lovely) mods!  :signLOL:

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #603 on: January 27, 2012, 05:22:22 pm »
Price is £850 for a "stealth" install like mine with custom mounts etc
Standard bottle in the rear system is £750
Using the washer bottle up front is about £650 IIRC

Matt, the system definitely gives more power, a smoother feel and helps keep all that nasty "coking up" at bay.

On a 2 litre gains are around 25whp and 40lbft and Steve Jr says it feels like even more on the road!

You could buy a frickin R8 for the price of all these (admittedly lovely) mods!  :signLOL:

Even with all the mods on the car I have still spent less than buying a basic new Golf GTI DSG 5dr in the same colour  £27,670)!!! and I prefer the look of the Polo and the benefits that it's lighter body brings too......win - win for me.  :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline Leonard

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #604 on: January 27, 2012, 05:57:55 pm »
Strong work Mr Hurdy  :drinking:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #605 on: January 27, 2012, 06:36:31 pm »

Matt, the system definitely gives more power, a smoother feel and helps keep all that nasty "coking up" at bay.

On a 2 litre gains are around 25whp and 40lbft and Steve Jr says it feels like even more on the road!

Even with all the mods on the car I have still spent less than buying a basic new Golf GTI DSG 5dr in the same colour  £27,670)!!! and I prefer the look of the Polo and the benefits that it's lighter body brings too......win - win for me.  :happy2:

Thanks John!

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
« Reply #606 on: January 27, 2012, 06:37:12 pm »

Thanks John !

Offline RagingKileak

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #607 on: January 27, 2012, 06:59:55 pm »
How annoyingly reachable....

Talk to me then. I'm yet to see a proper 'how it works' thread so what's the low down?

Is it basically the equivalent of super cold air injected into the induction system?

What's the longevity of a tank of mixture? Does one need to buy the mix at a hefty price or is it made from common household products?

Can you switch it on/off? If so, remotely from the cabin?

I'm interested for the Ring or on certain other occasions, but as I've now covered 30k in your poor old motor I'm also thinking of the cost/hassle of topping up if the mix is being wasted whilst cruising etc.

Thanks
Matt

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #608 on: January 27, 2012, 08:11:01 pm »
How annoyingly reachable....

Talk to me then. I'm yet to see a proper 'how it works' thread so what's the low down?

Is it basically the equivalent of super cold air injected into the induction system?

What's the longevity of a tank of mixture? Does one need to buy the mix at a hefty price or is it made from common household products?

Can you switch it on/off? If so, remotely from the cabin?

I'm interested for the Ring or on certain other occasions, but as I've now covered 30k in your poor old motor I'm also thinking of the cost/hassle of topping up if the mix is being wasted whilst cruising etc.

Thanks
Matt

Here you go Matt. :happy2:

Golf R gone.

Offline RagingKileak

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #609 on: January 28, 2012, 09:53:03 am »
Good video mate. Lots of questions I will need to answer still though!

Any insurance issues due to them not understanding or anything?

Matt

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #610 on: January 28, 2012, 09:57:48 am »

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #611 on: January 28, 2012, 10:40:04 am »
Try here http://vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=8853

LOL, that was the other link I was going to post last night before the site crashed on me! :confused:

Matt, £25 admin fee for me as I insured the car with a bhp limit and the water/meth shouldn't make the car above my limit. :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #612 on: February 01, 2012, 04:22:57 pm »
Changed a couple of the settings in VCDS today, took the car for a spin and the difference is superb. :driver:

Changes made.....

In VCDS Select Control Module, go to 03 ABS Brakes, then 10 Adaptation, go to Channel:

Channel 09 Brake Assist
There are 3 settings for this
0-center (stock setting)
1-small
2-hard

I changed this from the stock 0 setting to 2 and this has made the brake pedal more responsive to smaller inputs. Feels more positive in use, especially under enthusiastic motoring.

Channel 36 XDS
There are 3 settings
0-center (stock setting)
1-weak
2-strong

Again I changed this from 0 to 2 and this one mod alone makes the Polo into a different/better beast under hard driving. It acts almost like my ED30 did with the Quaife and yet doesn't feel as fidgety. Seems more planted around bends and that much better to push through the corner on exit. This mod comes with a five thumbs up... :happy2: :happy2: :happy2: :happy2: :happy2:

Also got a chance to look at the log blocks that can be done and FOOK ME there are over 400 of them for the Polo GTI!!!!! :surprised:
Annoyingly the measuring blocks all have different units of measurement and so for me to fully understand them I've had to wikipedia all the conversions to allow me to see what is what.

As I haven't got the water/meth running at the moment (no meth left!!) I thought I'd get stage 2 logs up and after faffing with conversions got the following.....

Block 201 - engine torque - max 350.1nm = 259lbft @ 3497rpm
Block 196 - Mass flow through throttle valve - 691.7kg/s = 192.2g/s = through the 0.81 division approx 237.2bhp

Typical schoolboy error was not pressing the turbo button and only getting a sample every 2 seconds  :ashamed: :sad1: so may have missed peak mass flow and engine torque alltogether!! :fighting:
Golf R gone.

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #613 on: February 01, 2012, 05:44:44 pm »
Thats awesome John. I didnt realise you could adjust the XDS and brake force with VCDS.  :happy2:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #614 on: February 01, 2012, 06:52:19 pm »
Result john.  Ill be doing this to mine as soon as i pick it back up on friday.  How much more performance do you expect the LSD to give over this?

Im not to sure about the brake assist though, because your not as in control with it, plus on mine it would really overheat the brakes, which is something id imagine the XDS in setting 2 will all ready be doing.

iirc Ross tech say the VCDS torque figures are put out once the car is mapped.  Easy way around that is an excel formula

Torque = (5252 x Hp) /rpm

You should be able to use the figures in the x y scatter graph and make your own power/torque curve graph.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 07:24:01 pm by Janner_Sy »