Make a donation

Author Topic: Clay bar  (Read 1298 times)

Offline MaverickFSI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 2
  • Tornado Red Ed30 DSG
    • Email
Clay bar
« on: October 08, 2011, 11:07:31 pm »
Hi guys,

I purchased today the Meg's starter kit from Halfords and I intend to try it out on my Bora before giving it a bash on the Golf. The only question I have is there a preferred technique to using it i.e. direction of application, back and forth or side to side or circular?

Cheers.
Great balls of fire!

Retro Dubs on the go;

'91 Corrado 20vT - Project still going... and going...

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Clay bar
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 11:25:45 pm »
To minimise risk of marring etc I tend to just go side-to-side. Usually enough. There's never enough lube for the two clay bars in the kit IMO but it's still one of my faves.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline MaverickFSI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Tornado Red Ed30 DSG
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 11:33:36 pm »
To minimise risk of marring etc I tend to just go side-to-side. Usually enough. There's never enough lube for the two clay bars in the kit IMO but it's still one of my faves.

Ok cheers mate. Having never used it before until today it feels some what strange that with lube applied it doesn't feel it does much, do you know what I mean? It just slips effortlessly over the lube, which is what it's supposed to do I guess.

Thanks.
Great balls of fire!

Retro Dubs on the go;

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 11:44:40 pm »
^^ I had the same feeling when I used the Megs kit for the first time a few months ago. My bar did get dirty but not as much as some others I have seen online so wasn't sure if I was doing it right.
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline MaverickFSI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Tornado Red Ed30 DSG
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 11:53:58 pm »
^^ I had the same feeling when I used the Megs kit for the first time a few months ago. My bar did get dirty but not as much as some others I have seen online so wasn't sure if I was doing it right.

I know what you mean mate. I just figured as the car is supposed to be 'clean' before clay bar use there wouldn't be a great deal of dirt/contamination present on the bar itself. But then I'm by no means a detail expert so...

Great balls of fire!

Retro Dubs on the go;

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 12:26:12 am »
If the car has been properly decontaminated, the claybar will hardly be dirty at all. Most of the black dirt is tar, which should have been removed with tar remover, and which can inflict further damage on the paintwork. Can't recall who but either Jay or Russ pointed this out in one of their writeups.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.