Make a donation

Author Topic: Middle Lane Sitters  (Read 11066 times)

Offline JPC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
Re: Middle Lane Sitters
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2011, 08:50:57 pm »
Don't let it stress you out. These people are not worthing stressing over. :happy2:

Exactly, see it daily, and Im often found in the middle or lane 3,but I don't hang around much to sit and watch if I'm honest. Is a problem when they going sub 60 when it then can annoy other motorists.

being in the middle lane without over taking is plain wrong anyways. It really grates me seeing people tonking it on an empty motorway doing 90 mph in the 2nd or 3rd lane. some people just don't have a clue!

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2011, 08:56:01 pm »
I love it when undertaking middle lane numpties, give the horn a massive honking and they crap themselves.... Because they didn't even realise you were there, that's how aware they are.

( I know it's wrong)

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2011, 10:07:49 pm »
Isnt this punishable by points in the republic of Ireland?

If the road is clear enough its the perfect opportunity for orbiting  :smiley: ( passing in fast lane, back to middle lane, back to slow lane. Let the idiot overtake you and repeat the 'orbit' until they get the message)

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2011, 10:17:46 pm »
It's amazing how quickly they remember how to drive when a police car is around.
Driving along to BDM this week and everyone seemed to be driving slowly - people in the outside lane couldn't have been doing much over 70mph. As I legally overtook from the middle lane, it became clear - there was a police car in the first lane of the motorway. Everyone was behaving impeccably. This IMO is far more effective than speed cameras.

People who do 40 on a national speed limit road and then do 40 in a 30 limit.... hmm!
Yeah I hate this too. When I lived in Bournemouth, there was a route to work off the main DC. It was a single carriageway. Just before it started was a 40mph sign. The carriageway was signposted at NSL and was followed by a 30mph sign. I was frustrated at the people who flashed me when I (legally) overtook them because they were doing only 40mph in a 60mph zone, but would continue at 40mph in the 30mph zone.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2011, 09:58:24 am »
I cant stand this either, they block the motorway up by tootling along in the middle lane, I have seen people exit a slip road on to an empty motorway and pull across in front of me straight into the middle lane its ridiculous!  I have only once seen one of the red warning signs used to say dont hog the middle lane, but they need to start making this a bigger point.

It was even mentioned by a minister in the 80 limit debate who said we dont need extra lanes or a faster limit to un-clog the motorways we need to teach people how to drive on them and stated people who sit in the middle lane when the others are empty are causing much of the problem.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2011, 10:14:09 am »
I love it when undertaking middle lane numpties, give the horn a massive honking and they crap themselves.... Because they didn't even realise you were there, that's how aware they are.

( I know it's wrong)

i used to do this...but if your seen by a copper guess whos in trouble, you or the person you just undertook! So i now over take and quite quickly move back into the 1st lane.

Something i find funny is if your in the 2nd lane, cruise control on at 70mph, over taking for lets say 5miles, the 3rd lane is free and there is a car behind you doing 70mph.

You move back over to the 1st lane and the guy that has been following you for 5miles at 70 decides to overtake you??? Why not just use the 3rd lane if you want to over take me!!! Look out for it on your next trip, makes me chuckle!

h4rdy

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2011, 10:55:48 am »
I regularly drive to work at 70mph in cruise control because I'm in no rush to get to work and save a bit of petrol.

If anybody is in 1st lane at 60ish ill move to middle but I will be pro active and if there is no point changing as in a minute I'll be back with eight lorries to pass I'll stay where I am.

But like edd666999 says why do they fly up your arris then when you move to over overtake?

If I want to do 70mph overtaking slow traffic in a 70mph national limit I will!

If it does change to 80mph I'll re-evaluate my attitude.

Another thing that pisses me off, I was driving to work I think on Friday morn early at about sixish. Red rag to a bull, a TTRS must have seen me as he got on the M40, not an expert on speeds other people are doing but if I'm doing 70 and the car that comes past me makes the car move with wind displacement I'd say 140-150mph was a fair estimate!

I'm on the way to work for christs sake sort yourself out and book a track day!

I was kinda hoping for an unmarked further down but alas no!

( I know it's wrong)

i used to do this...but if your seen by a copper guess whos in trouble, you or the person you just undertook! So i now over take and quite quickly move back into the 1st lane.

Something i find funny is if your in the 2nd lane, cruise control on at 70mph, over taking for lets say 5miles, the 3rd lane is free and there is a car behind you doing 70mph.

You move back over to the 1st lane and the guy that has been following you for 5miles at 70 decides to overtake you??? Why not just use the 3rd lane if you want to over take me!!! Look out for it on your next trip, makes me chuckle!

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2011, 02:03:53 pm »
I have been close to seeking medical help to help me cope with lane hoggers. I do 30,000 odd miles a year and it really winds me up, so much so i have to tell myself when i get into the car, to just relax and ignore it.  5 minutes later 1 mile onto the motorway and i am thinking of just driving into the side of them and push them to the inside.  :laugh:  As you can tell it kinda gets to me.  :mad:

I have different ways of dealing ( coping with them depending on who is driving. ) best not to entry them on here.  :rolleye:
 People do it for a number of different reasons.
The biggest bugbear though is the digital overhead signs. They say things like 9 minutes to junction 16 or take your litter other people do.  :stupid:

Were they should say 

oy! you! yes you! ignorant selfish idiot  in the middle lane get over to the left once clear.

It has been proven to be the main reason for traffic jams on motorways when congested and yet the highways agency do diddlesquat about it.  :sick:

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2011, 02:13:02 pm »
It could be a good job for the traffic wombles they could be tasked with pulling the idiots over or showing them a message on the little red displays.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2011, 02:16:56 pm »
Lane hogging effectively reduces the number of lanes on a motorway too, they result in even more congestion.

I'm with you TC, I get instant rage.... 'they' always give you that blank " what's the matter" look once you've given them a good flashing to try and get them to shift over.

h4rdy

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2011, 02:24:32 pm »
The worst thing you could possibly do to me is flash me. :stupid:

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2011, 02:25:41 pm »
Gets my goat, but as has already been touched on here, half the time they don't even know you are there so if you remonstrated in anyway they would look at you oblivious so I don't tend to bother these days!!  :fighting:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2011, 02:31:02 pm »

I'm not flashing you.... ;-) GTI drivers seems to do one of 2 things.

Drive at 60mph in the slow lane or drive at 85 in the fast lane. LOL

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2011, 02:38:41 pm »

I'm not flashing you.... ;-) GTI drivers seems to do one of 2 things.

Drive at 60mph in the slow lane or drive at 85 in the fast lane. LOL

Yes you could catch me doing that occasionally trying my best to get the MPG figure back up to a reasonable figure :wink: :grin:
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2011, 02:42:39 pm »
I don't get annoyed any more, as there are too many nutters out there. I once got chased about 30 or 40 miles up the M3 by some psycho who was middle lane sitting.

I was in the inside lane and approaching a slower truck and there had been this Cadillac BTS sat 20m or so behind in the middle lane for quite a while. I checked the mirror, saw he was still behind and then indicated and started to pull out. He then accelerated sharply, cutting me up and forcing me to slam the anchors on and pull back in behind the lorry, despite the fact the 3rd lane was empty. I then pulled out again and flashed my headlights at him and he slammed the anchors on!  He then kept doing this for miles, he'd get in front of me and do emergency stops, I'd swerve round and then he'd give chase, full beam on and get in front and do the same again. In the end I just floored it and left him behind, maybe doing 130 or so. I expect if I'd been caught doing that I'd have had the book thrown at me and I'm just glad the motorway was quiet enough that I could do that speed to get away!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 02:44:10 pm by simonp »