Make a donation

Author Topic: Middle Lane Sitters  (Read 11065 times)

h4rdy

Re: Middle Lane Sitters
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2011, 04:26:32 pm »
We once were on our way to Devon in our MPV.
This guy/twat in his Subaru(with his company name plastered all over the side) kept undertaking, slowing down, speeding up etc etc while playing with a laptop.
We genuinely did not know were he had gone so we wanted to go in the services, indicated and pulled over, guess who was there?
He then followed us into the services, parked his car(no handbrake the car started rolling off down the carpark and he had to go back :signLOL:) and made his way over to us, me and the wife are fairly well trained in Self Defence (10 years TKD/Mixed martial Arts/Bow staff etc etc) so stayed in the car while he rapped on the window asking 'you don't know who I am' to which I replied 'I do your company name is plastered all over your car'!
He made a sharp exit when he realised :signLOL:.
I could have gone to the police but what would have happened? Some nutter finding out where I live? Ironically I owned a Subaru at the time!
Best thing to do is either, IMO, undertake at a safe opportunity i.e. when the hard shoulder is clear enough for emergencies, or just be patient and wait for an opening on the fast lane.
I never remonstrate anymore because there are some nutters out there who are willing to put everything on the line to prove a point, I have a few mates who are willing to do that too, its they way they are :fighting:

Offline PDT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2011, 07:29:35 pm »
Company name?

h4rdy

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2011, 08:13:17 pm »
It was his own tuning company I will try and remember.

Offline maxload

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 29
  • Edition30 - No.1819
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2011, 08:17:03 pm »
Come on then guys, what do you do about these morons?!

Just drove back from Manchester and must have passed about 30 people just sitting, gormless in the middle lane :stupid:

Im afraid it's just another example of the very poor drivers we have on the roads these days. How some of these people pass there test is totaly incredible.  :rolleye:

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2011, 08:20:46 pm »
when i come to power middle lane drivers will be executed on site. no exceptions, no excuses.

in all seriousness tho i nearly fell out with someone who did this when i was in the car. he's widely regarded as not only the most clueless, but most dangerous of all our friends when it comes to being behind the wheel of a car but he REFUSES to accept this.

i've tended to find there's a definite geographical spread of how bad driving is. i've lived in leeds, a short while in london, birmingham, and now in stoke. i've driven extensively in the US and in India and i can say without a shadow of a doubt the worst driving i've come across is in the Midlands, closely followed by India.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 08:22:44 pm by sub39h »
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2011, 08:22:41 pm »
It was his own tuning company
I had a similarly silly experience with a small van advertising tuning. Small white van that overtook me and then cut in front of very closely. Mega peed off so went into the outside lane and overtook him. He later caught up and seemed to apologise.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

h4rdy

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2011, 08:27:23 pm »
when i come to power middle lane drivers will be executed on site. no exceptions, no excuses.

in all seriousness tho i nearly fell out with someone who did this when i was in the car. he's widely regarded as not only the most clueless, but most dangerous of all our friends when it comes to being behind the wheel of a car but he REFUSES to accept this.

i've tended to find there's a definite geographical spread of how bad driving is. i've lived in leeds, a short while in london, birmingham, and now in stoke. i've driven extensively in the US and in India and i can say without a shadow of a doubt the worst driving i've come across is in the Midlands, closely followed by India.

Ever driven in Portugal?

Even the Police are drunk. Fact!

And if a woman is in front of them, thats it overtake, very strange.

Im ashamed to admit it as well, I have caught myself daydreaming in the middle lane, tired, after or on way to work.

I have corrected myself as soon as I realised though.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2011, 08:29:45 pm »

Or driven in Afghan. Goats in the back of corolla estate, kids on the roof.  No joke!

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2011, 08:31:28 pm »
If anybody is in 1st lane at 60ish ill move to middle but I will be pro active and if there is no point changing as in a minute I'll be back with eight lorries to pass I'll stay where I am.

So what is your cut off point before you move back in?? 30 seconds, 1 minute, 5 minutes. As per your driving lessons the same thing applies to the motorway. As soon as you have overtaken you should move back into the inside lane as soon as safe to do so. Even if it means your pulling back out again 15 secs later to overtake the said "eight lorries"

I bet you don't do the same when there is a marked police car around (although no doubt you will say you do!)

Offline RobH

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 9
  • Revo stg 2+
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2011, 08:44:26 pm »
My boss is the worst driver i will probably ever come across. Actually driving is last in the list of his priorities. He never indicates, regulary just starts moving over onto over drivers again no indication forcing them to brake. Reads txts and emails with reading glasses on while doing 80mph. Sits in the outer lane and gets pissed off when people undertake him. Does his paperwork on the steering wheel agian reading glasses on. Delibratly goes in the wrong lane and forces his way in because he carnt be arsed to cue. The amount of times i saved us from impending death is ridiculous.

Point blank refuse to get in his van these days. Of course he moans about every body elses driving aswell like you wouldnt believe.

On a side note was highly amusing when he failed to see speed bumps :grin: :evilgrin:

h4rdy

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2011, 08:49:16 pm »
Well I will be doing 70mph anyway which is the speed limit on motorways so if I wanted to stay out for 5 minutes I would be well within my rights.

Sarcasm over it would depend how busy it was, but, is swerving in and out of the 1st to 2nd lane every 15-30 seconds safe?

What has the marked police car got to do with anything, I don't change my style of driving just because there is a police car there, if there was a line of lorries 100 yards/30 seconds away and I am doing 70mph I am doing nothing wrong.

I generally am in the inside lane at 70mph and if not its 60mph in the middle.................behind everyone else stuck in traffic :signLOL:

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2011, 09:00:04 pm »
Well I will be doing 70mph anyway which is the speed limit on motorways so if I wanted to stay out for 5 minutes I would be well within my rights.

Sarcasm over it would depend how busy it was, but, is swerving in and out of the 1st to 2nd lane every 15-30 seconds safe?

What has the marked police car got to do with anything, I don't change my style of driving just because there is a police car there, if there was a line of lorries 100 yards/30 seconds away and I am doing 70mph I am doing nothing wrong.

I generally am in the inside lane at 70mph and if not its 60mph in the middle.................behind everyone else stuck in traffic :signLOL:

You wouldn't be within your rights to sit in the middle lane for 5 minutes at all. They are overtaking lanes not driving lanes.

If your 30 secs from the lorries at 70mph your over half a mile away so there is no reason to sit in the middle lane.

Maybe you need to go and take a pass plus driving test which incorporates motorway driving. Or even better try doing a ROSPA/IAM test. See if they think your doing the right thing.

Not trying to make out I'm a perfect driver (far from it) but having done plenty of driving courses I've got a fair bit of awareness and road sense.

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2011, 09:23:48 pm »
i'd imagine in the above circumstance common sense prevails. the IAM taught me pre-emptive driving. if you're pulling back in but momentarily expecting to pull back out again and by pulling back in you're losing your space in a line of traffic then my instructor taught me to stay put. you're not middle lane driving if you're actively overtaking a lorry, which you are if you can see it and pulling back in only to pull back out again will impede your progress
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2011, 09:25:50 pm »

:grouphug:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2011, 09:29:35 pm »
if you're pulling back in but momentarily expecting to pull back out again and by pulling back in you're losing your space in a line of traffic then my instructor taught me to stay put.
This is what I do. I will return to the left hand lane unless I can see up ahead that I'll need to pull out and won't be able to due to a queue of cars behind me.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.