Make a donation

Author Topic: Middle Lane Sitters  (Read 11466 times)

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19740.0.html
Re: Middle Lane Sitters
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2011, 09:36:47 pm »
You think that's bad. I saw someone drinking a can of fosters driving a big pick up truck.

h4rdy

« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2011, 09:45:07 pm »
if you're pulling back in but momentarily expecting to pull back out again and by pulling back in you're losing your space in a line of traffic then my instructor taught me to stay put.
This is what I do. I will return to the left hand lane unless I can see up ahead that I'll need to pull out and won't be able to due to a queue of cars behind me.

What I kind of meant.

And maybe, VRSCarl, I don't need to do a ROSPA/IAM course either, why so patronising?

SUB39H has obviously had a different instructor which told him something different.

Sometimes I give up with this forum :happy2: Taken completely out of context as per usual!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 09:50:17 pm by h4rdy »

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2011, 10:43:12 pm »
If your 30 secs from the lorries at 70mph your over half a mile away so there is no reason to sit in the middle lane.

Maybe you need to go and take a pass plus driving test which incorporates motorway driving. Or even better try doing a ROSPA/IAM test.

Maybe you need maths lessons? A lorry would only be half a mile away if it was stationary. On motorways, though, they're generally doing around 56mph, so a car doing an indicated 70mph would only have a closing speed of around 10mph. 30 seconds at a speed of 10mph is about 150 yards by my reckoning...

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2011, 10:47:07 pm »
Whats with the internet bun fight.  :laugh:  :stupid: This thread is about idiots on the motorway save the, idiots on the internet, for Fridays.  :driver:

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2011, 10:49:32 pm »
If your 30 secs from the lorries at 70mph your over half a mile away so there is no reason to sit in the middle lane.

Maybe you need to go and take a pass plus driving test which incorporates motorway driving. Or even better try doing a ROSPA/IAM test.

Maybe you need maths lessons? A lorry would only be half a mile away if it was stationary. On motorways, though, they're generally doing around 56mph, so a car doing an indicated 70mph would only have a closing speed of around 10mph. 30 seconds at a speed of 10mph is about 150 yards by my reckoning...

My bad but I have been up since 0330 :P

if you're pulling back in but momentarily expecting to pull back out again and by pulling back in you're losing your space in a line of traffic then my instructor taught me to stay put.
This is what I do. I will return to the left hand lane unless I can see up ahead that I'll need to pull out and won't be able to due to a queue of cars behind me.

What I kind of meant.

And maybe, VRSCarl, I don't need to do a ROSPA/IAM course either, why so patronising?

SUB39H has obviously had a different instructor which told him something different.

Sometimes I give up with this forum :happy2: Taken completely out of context as per usual!

H4rdy :love:

I'm not trying to be patronising or take what you said out of context. Your also confusing what SUB39H said. If you overtake and there is a gap, but pulling in would mean you near enough immediately have to pull back out again, then yes I fully agree you stay in the overtaking lane. But as you stated 30 secs that is not immediate. I don't know of ANY ROSPA/IAM instructor that would say block an overtaking lane for 30 secs or more. Not sayings know them all but I know a few and have been taught on various courses by them.

I drive quite a lot of miles (25k+) per year and a fair bit is on motorways so I see a lot of what you describe going on. I get quite passionate about it as I can't understand why people do it. It's not taught anywhere so why people do it is beyond me.You have even said yourself you have sat daydreaming in the middle lane. But if you were using the inside as you should this would happen a lot less.

We will agree to disagree and leave it at that as I'm not trying to cause offence and your obviously getting offended by what I'm saying.  :happy2:

h4rdy

« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2011, 11:41:26 pm »
I'm not offended Carl :happy2:

Here is this to put driving into context:
I work with 65 Engineers. Out of all of them maybe 5 are Petrolheads, another 5 'like' cars.
I would imagine the 10 out of 65 are average drivers because they care about their car etc etc.
The other 55 couldn't give a sh*t.

Out of the 1200 other employees maybe another, seriously, 20 petrolheads.
Now the other employees are shocking drivers, my car has been hit 3 times in 1.5 years none of them give a sh*t.

What am I trying to say? Its only us on here that are bothered about people sitting in the middle lane the other, lets say, 85% don't give a sh*t.

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2011, 11:48:26 pm »
hmm that's not really a valid viewpoint.

85% of ppl probs don't care about the famines in africa, or the AIDS epidemic or anything else. doesn't mean it's right to ignore it.

thankfully i recently saw a copper pull someone over for middle lane driving recently. hopefully there will be more of this and the activity will stop. otherwise, no joking, when i come to power they will be executed on site.
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

h4rdy

« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2011, 08:23:07 am »
hmm that's not really a valid viewpoint.

85% of ppl probs don't care about the famines in africa, or the AIDS epidemic or anything else. doesn't mean it's right to ignore it.

thankfully i recently saw a copper pull someone over for middle lane driving recently. hopefully there will be more of this and the activity will stop. otherwise, no joking, when i come to power they will be executed on site.

Well it is because its showing what percentage of people don't give a monkeys.
My opinion mate yours is different too and I appreciate that! :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2011, 08:39:23 am »

If the road is clear enough its the perfect opportunity for orbiting  :smiley: ( passing in fast lane, back to middle lane, back to slow lane. Let the idiot overtake you and repeat the 'orbit' until they get the message)

....That's exactly what I do if the road is clear enough. I didn't know it was called 'orbiting'  :happy2: Some get the message and some don't/won't but you never want to get stressed about it.

Again, if the road is clear enough and I'm back in the left lane, I accelerate towards them quite hard but staying in my lane. If they spot my DRL's they tend to wake up and move over or if not I might give them a quick flash. If the flash is very quick and short, they don't necessarily realise you flashed them unless they were already looking at you (unlikely!) but you usually get their attention. I don't undertake though unless on a filter lane.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 08:43:52 am by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2011, 08:58:02 am »
Just to add that if in good conditions and travelling a lot faster than other traffic, other drivers tend to spot the DRL's and move out of the way in good time. The trouble is that those kind of speeds are shall we say 'naughty' - Okay in most of Germany but not in dear old England.

A pet hate I have is those drivers who tailgate you in the fast lane when the traffic is heavy and you are leaving a good braking distance in front of you and the flow obviously can't go any faster. I'll let someone through if I can get back out to the lane but not otherwise - We just all need to be patient.

That's why a high performance car is safer if driven responsibly: Your fast acceleration allows you to leave braking distances, see further ahead, and quickly close the gap to overtake when the opportunity presents itself. Braking distances says an awful lot about the driver. And guys in Lambo's and Porsches rarely tailgate you - They don't need to!

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

h4rdy

« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2011, 10:43:03 am »
Well said Robin :congrats:

Probably what I have been trying to say all along, well not all I haven't got DRL's :signLOL:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2011, 10:56:29 am »
I think motorway driving in the Uk is going to be very frustrating  :fighting:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2011, 03:27:33 pm »

I think motorway driving in the Uk is going to be very frustrating  :fighting:

....I think it will be frustrating for you too unfortunately. Even coming back to UK onto the M20 after only a few days in Germany makes 70 mph feel like 30 and it's also stressful trying to keep the speed down and having to watch out for those who would speedgun you. You get used to it again quite quickly but it doesn't endear you to the authorities here. Many UK M-ways are designed to accommodate much higher speeds than 70 (providing the conditions are good of course). I feel frustrated just thinking about it!