Make a donation

Author Topic: Am I right?  (Read 2989 times)

Offline paul896

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Am I right?
« on: October 11, 2011, 12:54:37 pm »
I need multiple opinions on this.

When I bought the GTI it was agreed with the previous owner he would get the car serviced. And he made the appointment for me to bring the car to the dealers (main Audi dealer with VW service). And thats grand service was done. However while the car was in the garage (for 6 working days!!!!) i had them install parking sensors, and a MFSW which work fine (after i had to call back to the garage to ask them to refit the airbag cover aas they fitted it witha 6 mm gap!!!). They gave me an incorrect time to collect the car and when i had arrived they said the car wasnt ready and gave me a different time. they then said they lost my car keys, and after an hour waiting in the garage they found them but couldnt get to them as they were locked in the safe, so i had to call my house mate for his keys.it gets worse....

I also asked them to install the MFD2 that i had bought, and they didnt do a great job. The radio works fine, but they said the compass doesnt work because firstly the antenna isnt genuine (bull as it has the VW part number on it) and that it should be mounted in the roof. But they mounted it on top of the airvent in the middle of the dash. They then said the MFD2 isnt talking with the cars computer so the compass doesnt work.......

And now the really bad part. I ordered a genuine VW iPod dock from Demon666 and they said they would fit it. Arrived at the garage and they had completely butchered it. They chopped up the dock to removed the pins, cut a hole in the base of the arm rest and fitted it there, complete with shoddy screw heads on display. they placed the screws so badly my iPhone wont fit in it. to top it off it doesnt work, and when i asked the mechainc to take a look at ii, he asked me what way I wired into the head unit!!!!

Am i right to go off the deep end here?? I made an appointment with the service manager to complain about this.

Should i give them the car again and leave them try to do it properly (without paying for it) or just take it somewhere else??

Offline DJM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Re: Am I right?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 01:17:51 pm »
Id see what the manager says personally. Id let them have it back as probably take alot more time and effort to get them to authorise somewhere else.
If i was you id want a courtesy car of equal engine and size and see what they can do to restore your faith in them, i.e any other bits you want that they maybe be able to supply & fit FOC

Offline paul896

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 01:21:17 pm »
will defo get the courtesy car, they offer an A1 for 30e per day, A3 for 35 and and A6 for like 50e. So i will haggle for the A3!
only other things i would like would be a bike rack and bluetooth, but i dont trust them to install it. they seem to have awful difficulty with what i thought were simple jobs

Offline itismebigd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 02:55:33 pm »
In my opinion you are more than right to go off on one, had it been my car i would of probably been charged with an offence by now,still i cant say i am suprised as the dealers dont hold any cred with me. you would of thought that you were going about it all in the correct manner ie giving it to supposedly qualified vag teck`s it is totally unacceptible to recieve your car back in that condition,at the very least i would expect the work to be done again FOC with all new components fitted as the dealer is sooooooo to blame for all of the problems you have highlighted,all else fails threaten to goto vag uk withn your concerns then your local papers.shocking story m8. hope you get a satisfactory outcome to this mess Dougie

Offline paul896

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 02:46:41 pm »
and the story continues

I called the garage last week and they guy i was dealing with wasnt there. so i emailed him saying the following:

I tried to call you this afternoon to make an appointment next week so
you can look at the issues with my Golf.

Please can you contact me on Monday to make a new appointment. I will
need a courtesy car, as I have already been without my car for 6 full
days while you worked on it, and cannot afford to be without my car
any longer. I think in this case an arrangement can be made where I
can use the courtesy car without charge. As also mentioned during my
last visit to the garage, I only want an investigation done as to why
you cannot get the compass and iPod dock to work. I do not wish to be
charged for this work, as it should have been completed when the car
was at the garage previous.

As you can imagine I am also eager to solve this issue but I fear it
will not be easy. I have already spoken with Volkswagen regarding
these issues.I am extremely disappointed with the work that was
carried out to install this iPod dock, especially as this was an
expensive Volkswagen part that I have purchased. I will be looking
forward to discussing a solution for this next week.

They called today to say they will investigate but they do not think they did poor work, but that i supplied poor quality parts  and asked me for the instruction manual for installing the ipod dock!!!! They are blaming the radio saying the compass doesnt work, and the ipod dock doesnt work either, because of the BUS (not sure on this part, im not that up on my VW yet!

They also said I can have the courtsey car, but if they are at fault the car is free, if the parts i got are at fault then I have to pay for it.

So im going to call the VW head office in the UK to speak (in English) and get written confirmation that the MFD2 will work with the ipod dock and it fits in the arm rest without modification.

Offline edd666999

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 02:56:12 pm »
The VW that you will get someone else to do it and if they can successfully install it vw pays for the 3rd party.

Get someone here to do it for you. There are loads of boffins on here that install these all the time with no issues.

Offline paul896

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 02:57:31 pm »
Im in Luxembourg tho, and am dealing with a Luxembourgish garage who should be  :fighting: :fighting:

wish i did it myself now, i wouldnt have made such a mess of it

Offline AdeMcG

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 06:45:07 pm »
just as a side note, I have the VW i-pod adaptor thingy in my arm rest and an Ipod Touch is too high for the lid to close properly nor did it charge whilst in the dock.
I had to get an Original I-pod to fit in, which works and charges flawlessly. Go figure ! :stupid:

Offline paul896

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 10:08:19 am »
im guessing to the iPhone wont work as such if your iTouch doesnt.

not that it matters, most of my music is on my (so old its classic!) v2 Nano!

Do you have the MFSW? Can you select traks, etc via the MFSW or the HU?

Offline AdeMcG

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 12:05:29 pm »
im guessing to the iPhone wont work as such if your iTouch doesnt.

not that it matters, most of my music is on my (so old its classic!) v2 Nano!

Do you have the MFSW? Can you select traks, etc via the MFSW or the HU?

sorry, too many letters that mean very little to me :)

I have the RCD 300 unit and I can only go through each track one at a time. I can't pick and choose from a list.  I have yet to experiment with a track list / play list but I think it just builds them up in one long list for you to pass through one at a time.

Offline paul896

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 12:08:03 pm »
MFSW= the multi function steering wheel

HU= head unit ie the stereo!

at this stage i would be happy not to use the transmtter thing im using now, it eats battery!

Offline AdeMcG

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 12:23:54 pm »
MFSW= the multi function steering wheel

HU= head unit ie the stereo!

at this stage i would be happy not to use the transmtter thing im using now, it eats battery!

Ah....nope I don't have the MFSW  :wink:

Offline paul896

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 12:25:15 pm »
No worries, it will be a surprise for me if i can eventually get it sorted

Offline AdeMcG

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 06:09:27 pm »
and just for clarity, yes via the <> track buttons on the Head unit I can select the track on the iPod I want to listen to.
So you should be able to do the same via the MFSW?

Offline paul896

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 09:19:54 am »
and the story continues. Called a meeting with the service and after sales manager to complain and he emailed me to confirm a time and date. I arrived for the meeting but he didnt! He went to another meeting and never told me, so I waited at the garage for 30min before leaving!!