Make a donation

Author Topic: Wishbone mounts / Walk  (Read 9244 times)

Offline keith

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
Wishbone mounts / Walk
« on: April 04, 2009, 08:19:17 pm »
I have been reading about the Whiteline WALK with interest and nearly placed my order yesterday but for my tuner didn't get back to me, but then today I was reading gadgets post about his car and he has fitted uprated S3 wishbone mounts these look to me to be the exact same thing as the WALK (scuse my ignorance I am not a mechanic). If so whats the difference between my ED30 wishbone mount and that of the S3 and would i notice a difference fitting the S3 version and also whats the cost of the S3 version as i know the WALK's are roughly £135.   

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
Re: Wishbone mounts / Walk
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 10:00:32 pm »
i would say that the S3 variety would NOT give you the increase in "dynamic" negative camber that the WALK would do. But that's only what i think maybe the difference.

no idea how much the S3 version is.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 10:25:43 pm »
I didn't think it was an increase (decrease :confused:) in camber.
I thought it changed the castor angle.

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 10:26:32 pm »
I didn't think it was an increase (decrease :confused:) in camber.
I thought it changed the castor angle.

spot on its caster angle

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 11:45:00 pm »

Yes, the oem S3 wishbone mounts won't have the castor angle - Which is the whole point and advantage of the WALKS.

HTH :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 11:46:32 pm »
Ive just looked on ETKA and the bearing bracket(front wishbone rear bush bracket)is the same part number for all the golfs inc GTI and R32 and all A3's inc S3??? I dont get how ppl are saying its an uprated bracket?

I only question this cos I had my MOT on monday and I had an advisory about the wishbone bushes starting to split so bought the front poly bushes from Regal but when coming to fit them they dont look bad at all?  So will replace the other bush which is the same has the walk bracket.

If i'm looking at the wrong part number can the lads who have bought this supply the part number thanks

Darren

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 11:57:35 pm »
^^^^
If you are going to replace the oem rear wishbone bushes then why not get the Whiteline Anti Lift Kits?

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline ukdub

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 01:33:50 am »
^^^^
If you are going to replace the oem rear wishbone bushes then why not get the Whiteline Anti Lift Kits?

You have a valid point as always RR.  Why replace for standard when you can have an upgrade for probably less money!
Laser Blue with K04 power, APR hardware controlled by REVO 2+ software
Chassis by KW V3's, Whiteline and a hint of PRO race 1.2's
Brakes by Brembo 4 pots

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 09:51:04 am »
The WALK increases castor angle, so although looking the same as the OEM mount, it isn't. The S3 bush doesn't have voids in the rubber that the Golf's has, so it'll be harder, but won't give you the same benefits as the WALK. That is engineered to alter caster.

Adding castor also gives you something called dynamic camber, much better than static camber for a road car. This is of benefit because it doesn't wear the tyres unevenly when going in a straight line, yet it gives camber when the wheels are turned, thus increasing the "footprint" of the tyre when cornering, rather than scrubbing the walls.

In simple terms, it pushes the lower part of the strut forwards meaning the point of axis is forward of where the tyre touches the tamac causing a trail effect, like a chopper. If you think about turning the wheel on a chopper, it leans, developing camber when done so, but runs true once straight.
It also has the effect of pushing the inside wheel down, lessening the effect of inside wheelspin, think of a go-kart, they run loads of caster and when turning the steering wheel, it'll cock a wheel as it pushes the inside one down... not as extreme on the WALK obviously, but the effect works.
Lastly, it also means you can run the fronts in parallel, rather than toe-in as the trail effect means they'll run straight without tramlining - this is entirely personal choice though, but keeps tyre temps/wear down.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 11:41:53 am by tony_danza »
Sideways yo!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 11:18:01 am »
The WALK increases castor angle, so although looking the same, it isn't. The S3 bush doesn't have voids in the rubber, so it'll be harder but won't give you the same benefits.

Adding castor gives you something called dynamic camber. Much better than static camber for a road car, this is of benefit because it doesn't wear the tyres unevenly when going in a straight line, yet it gives camber when the wheels are turned.

In simple terms, it pushes the lower part of the strut forwards meaning the point of axis is forward of where the tyre touches the tamac causing a trail effect, like a chopper. If you think about turning the wheel on a chopper, it leans, developing camber when done but runs true once straight. It also has the effect of pushing the inside wheel down, lessening the effect of inside wheelspin.

....Very nicely described 'tony', and when combined with a well setup coilover suspension and a Quaife diff.............

.........it's just a bit good, or in English, it isn't half bad! [he said very smugly] :evilgrin:

P.S. - That's the best description (by tony_danza) of how WALK works that I've ever read - I think it ought to be added to the WALK Review - Just change the word "S3" to "stock" or "oem".
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 11:19:51 am by RedRobin »

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 11:26:14 am »
The S3 bush is different to the Golf one, so I think if we're talking about 3/4 stages of upgrade it is relevant.

Stock   (soft)
S3       (harder)
Poly     (hardest)
WALK  (Poly + caster increased)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 11:28:58 am by tony_danza »
Sideways yo!

Offline chungster

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 11:31:04 am »
The WALK increases castor angle, so although looking the same, it isn't. The S3 bush doesn't have voids in the rubber, so it'll be harder but won't give you the same benefits.

Adding castor gives you something called dynamic camber. Much better than static camber for a road car, this is of benefit because it doesn't wear the tyres unevenly when going in a straight line, yet it gives camber when the wheels are turned.

In simple terms, it pushes the lower part of the strut forwards meaning the point of axis is forward of where the tyre touches the tamac causing a trail effect, like a chopper. If you think about turning the wheel on a chopper, it leans, developing camber when done but runs true once straight. It also has the effect of pushing the inside wheel down, lessening the effect of inside wheelspin.

that explaination from Whiteline Australia / Balance Motorsport was good wasn't it!  :wink:

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 11:44:31 am »
Yes Chungster, it's basically what I can remember from when I wrote that initial review and Whiteline's addition... I only understand the basic theory, I couldn't tell you about combined effects of various aspects of geometry on each other.

I've tweaked my bit up there too.
Sideways yo!

Offline chungster

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 11:47:52 am »
did u beat your time from last year yesterday??

yours looked rather good on the track i have to say.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 12:07:48 pm »
Took over a second out of it, very very happy.
Sideways yo!