Make a donation

Author Topic: Wishbone mounts / Walk  (Read 9249 times)

Offline chungster

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
Re: Wishbone mounts / Walk
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2009, 01:24:38 pm »
Took over a second out of it, very very happy.

see you just missed out on getting under 30secs!  good time tho, 5th best on the day!

Offline gadget

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2009, 03:06:55 pm »
The S3 bush is different to the Golf one, so I think if we're talking about 3/4 stages of upgrade it is relevant.

Stock   (soft)
S3       (harder)
Poly     (hardest)
WALK  (Poly + caster increased)

This is my thinking hence the upgrade to the S3 units. APS have noticed tuned Edition 30's and GTi's suffering with lots of play in the bushes and this was just a mod to stop this. I don't want to go to mad as I only drive this 5% of the time, it is my wife who drives it and every mod comes with a condition "As long as I can still get over speed bumps at Waitrose"
Golf GTi Edition 30-Grey - 5 Door - DSG
APS Re-Map, Milltek Non-Res Exhaust, R32 Brakes, Eibach Springs, Eibach ARB's, Carbon Speed Air Intake, Forge DV.
And much more to come.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 11:11:32 am »
The S3 bush is different to the Golf one, so I think if we're talking about 3/4 stages of upgrade it is relevant.

Stock   (soft)
S3       (harder)
Poly     (hardest)
WALK  (Poly + caster increased)

This is my thinking hence the upgrade to the S3 units. APS have noticed tuned Edition 30's and GTi's suffering with lots of play in the bushes and this was just a mod to stop this. I don't want to go to mad as I only drive this 5% of the time, it is my wife who drives it and every mod comes with a condition "As long as I can still get over speed bumps at Waitrose"

Can anyone clue me up on the effects of camber as this post above plus a couple of others are getting me confused.  :rolleye:

First point, MR gadget you mention above you did not want to go mad with the mods, because basically its the wife's, so you chose the S3 unit rather than the W.A.L.K kit. Understandable but in your ride thread, you have added negative camber to your rear wheels.
So guys can you explain to me the full effects of adding real camber to front and back of the car. What are the benefit's and negative's . This is me carrying the sign  :signIWS: but surely adding negative camber to the rear is more extreme than adding the walk kit to the fronts.  :confused:

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 11:28:22 am »
Negative camber simply gives the outside tyre a better footprint, to stop it rolling onto the sidewall under hard cornering as it turns to positive.

Imagine going around a hard bend, a normal outside wheel will go from this | to this /. A neg camber wheel will go from this \ to this |. Does that help?

Too much and it'll wear the inside of the tyre.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 11:36:05 am by tony_danza »
Sideways yo!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2009, 12:53:43 pm »
Negative camber simply gives the outside tyre a better footprint, to stop it rolling onto the sidewall under hard cornering as it turns to positive.

Imagine going around a hard bend, a normal outside wheel will go from this | to this /. A neg camber wheel will go from this \ to this |. Does that help?

Too much and it'll wear the inside of the tyre.

....Plus by having just a little negative camber on the rears /--------\ you'll be less inclined to lose the back end (again why it's best to have your deeper treaded tyres on the rear axle of a FWD car).

The trick is to have enough without creating uneven tyre wear.

HTH

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2009, 01:11:47 pm »
So what is the angle of dangle from the factory as a degree  :smiley:

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2009, 01:17:22 pm »
Oh, I couldn't tell you what degree of the top of my head!!

However, I have a laser GEO print out somewhere at home with my stats on, so I could probably tell you what I'm currently running.

Mike's proably got yours actually from when you had the coils fitted, unless he gave it to you?
Sideways yo!

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2009, 01:26:32 pm »
I am asking this question really because i may need to put a bit of camber on mine to get the ride height how i want once the wheels arrive, i have bought some of the KW camber adjust top mounts, but i also paid a lot for my tyres and i would like to know how much camber i can put on before the tyre start to wear past normal rates, I think i may only need a little bit of camber on the fronts, would just a touch cause excessive wear.   :smiley:

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2009, 01:41:55 pm »
I'd heard reports of those camber'd lower arms GTI Engineering do that give 1.5degrees of negative caused people to go racing through tyres.

But that's just 3rd hand stories, I'd seek a pro's advice mate!
Sideways yo!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2009, 02:35:28 pm »

I trusted Mark at VWR to setup mine and I've twice checked for uneven tyre wear since and no sign of any.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2009, 02:36:59 pm »
But you dont have any KW camber adjust mount's do you RR or have i missed it somewhere.  :ashamed:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2009, 03:02:48 pm »

But you dont have any KW camber adjust mount's do you RR or have i missed it somewhere.  :ashamed:

....The rear camber can be adjusted even on the standard GTI suspension as I understand it. Even as much as -3 degrees I have read - Though I personally wouldn't recommend it.

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2009, 09:18:45 pm »
I'd heard reports of those camber'd lower arms GTI Engineering do that give 1.5degrees of negative caused people to go racing through tyres.

But that's just 3rd hand stories, I'd seek a pro's advice mate!

but it works wonders when attacking corners on a track! EVO loved their demo car set up.

But yeah the inside edge won't last long on normal straight road driving with that much camber.

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2009, 09:27:27 pm »

....The rear camber can be adjusted even on the standard GTI suspension as I understand it. Even as much as -3 degrees I have read - Though I personally wouldn't recommend it.

wow...that looks ridiculous!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2009, 10:16:21 pm »
^^^^
Yes, "ridiculous" is the best description and he's done it just for looks  :rolleye: