Make a donation

Author Topic: Making me want to sell up!!!  (Read 2605 times)

Offline johnboy07

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
Making me want to sell up!!!
« on: October 16, 2011, 04:36:23 pm »
For anyone not aware of my problems regarding my steering rack, in short rack went wrong, had it replaced at a cost of £1500 and then after i had knocking noises when steering from lock to lock. also while moving along. So took it back to loders and after 3weeks of them having the car admitted it was the rack and replaced it. Ive now had the car back for two weeks and its doing it again  :fighting: :fighting:
SO what do i do? Im sick of it now and i dont even want to drive it atm as it makes me so angry. Ive replaced
rack
shock absorbers
arb bushes
drop link bars
engine mounts

All this has been done so the only thing left is the rack. Does anyone think the track rod ends could cause a problem.

Stage 2+ 280.4 bhp ITG, Revo Stage 2+, decat, hpfp, THS intercooler, THS engine mounts, Pcv revamp, sportline springs, rs4 fuel valve, DS2500 pads and brembo discs, braided lines, ATE super blue brake fluid and more to come

Offline robby

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
Re: Making me want to sell up!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 05:14:55 pm »
If they've replaced the rack previously then that should be covered by their warranty?

If they diagnosed wrongly and fitted parts that didn't need replacing then you shouldn't have to pay if the fault isn't cured

Offline vangoo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 05:20:49 pm »
I have just developed a cracking/squeek noise from my steering i dont even need to have the car on and rock the wheel left and right and it makes the noise

Someone advised me it could be the track rod ends

just had it serviced on wednesday noise started on thursday  :sick:

Offline DonalM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 05:36:23 pm »
When my track rod ends were gone the steering would pull off to one side when accelerating or lifting off the power.

They generally go at about the 70,000 mile mark.
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,31784.0.html

TR DSG Gti- K04, TTRS Brakes, BBS, H&R, RNS, Xenons, Leather, Ed30 Front lip, US Smooth Grill, RVC, Miltek, WALK, Loads of Forge bits + lots more.

Offline vangoo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 05:48:42 pm »
Do you get such a thing as a dry track rod end

Mite sound silly but it sounds like a dry squeak

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 05:50:18 pm »
For anyone not aware of my problems regarding my steering rack, in short rack went wrong, had it replaced at a cost of £1500 and then after i had knocking noises when steering from lock to lock. also while moving along. So took it back to loders and after 3weeks of them having the car admitted it was the rack and replaced it. Ive now had the car back for two weeks and its doing it again  :fighting: :fighting:
SO what do i do? Im sick of it now and i dont even want to drive it atm as it makes me so angry. Ive replaced
rack
shock absorbers
arb bushes
drop link bars
engine mounts

All this has been done so the only thing left is the rack. Does anyone think the track rod ends could cause a problem.

If it's rack ist it covered under warranty as they have meant to have fixed it?

Offline E30Dom

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 06:31:17 pm »
Gutted to read this... :sick:

Did they change the track rods as part of the new rack, if not then these of course could cause an issue... So could top mount bearings??

Don't sell( no pun intended) up matey! She's an awesomely strong motor, just need to get this sorted once and for all! Obviously mis-diagnosed...

Dom
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline mano

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 08:25:08 pm »
Have you done the spacer and new bolts in the subframe? Mine makes wierd noises atm but its just that ten quid alteration.

Offline seiko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 09:50:16 pm »
would advise checking the top mount bearings, :smiley:

Offline johnboy07

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 10:10:22 pm »
Lol Dom I dont really wana sell just so annoyed with it ATM. already replaced both top mounts and have new subframe bolts and spacers so not alot left to change. Will try the track rod ends and then onto vw for what will be my third rack.  :mad:
Stage 2+ 280.4 bhp ITG, Revo Stage 2+, decat, hpfp, THS intercooler, THS engine mounts, Pcv revamp, sportline springs, rs4 fuel valve, DS2500 pads and brembo discs, braided lines, ATE super blue brake fluid and more to come