Make a donation

Author Topic: Worst Modifications to your MK 5 thread...  (Read 15592 times)

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
Re: Worst Modifications to your MK 5 thread...
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2011, 06:00:55 pm »
Just out of interest, why are there a few people with negative comments on the Dbilas intake?

Heavy construction, minimal performance gain

Heavy yes, as to performance, if you remove the restricted filter element supplied and replace it with a open cone filter, its been said to have made the best gains possible, i love mine, it sounds nice, not chavvy, and gives good gains. 290 bhp on k03 with stage 2 plus on a dyno which generally gets moned at because its well callibrated and gives true reading unlike alot of "happy" dynos around.

Have seen the hybrid dbilas and would have given it a go if there was a heat shield to protect the filter from the bays hot air.

Saint Steve

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2011, 06:23:04 pm »
Just out of interest, why are there a few people with negative comments on the Dbilas intake?

Heavy yes, as to performance, if you remove the restricted filter element supplied and replace it with a open cone filter, its been said to have made the best gains possible, i love mine, it sounds nice, not chavvy, and gives good gains. 290 bhp on k03 with stage 2 plus on a dyno which generally gets moned at because its well callibrated and gives true reading unlike alot of "happy" dynos around.
290 bhp on a ko3!!!  :popcornsoda:

And you say thats a well calibrated dyno   :signLOL:

That's high shall we say ;-)

« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 06:27:29 pm by Saint Steve »

Offline heady2010

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2011, 06:23:24 pm »
You might get a slight improvement in performance with a heat shield but no a massive amount, a closed stationary engine bay will get a filter hot with a heat shield or not, but when your driving its massivly reduced due to air flow, and obviously that temperature in the engine bay is not is being supplied to the inlet manifold.

Offline heady2010

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2011, 06:29:26 pm »

290 bhp on a ko3!!!  :popcornsoda:

And you say thats a well calibrated dyno  :signLOL:

Is that a happy one aswell?

Well from everything ive read it is and they have a good reputation, im not gonna say the name of the company because you'll just start trying to give them bad press. If you look round there are a few ko3s making 290 on stage 2 plus.  :smiley:

Saint Steve

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2011, 06:37:04 pm »
Your right, as long as it isn't Superchips rollers, as they get plenty of them from there!

Normally a well tuned ko3 will top at 280 best, and that's from a well known dyno dynamics setup down south..

Sorry mate, I've seen too many ko3's make barely 270bhp at 2+

Offline heady2010

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2011, 06:44:42 pm »
hmmmm, well i hope your wrong  for my sake lol. To be fair it was pretty dam cold at time of testing which generally has a big old impact. Got a possible rr day coming up, so will have to see what the verdict is then.

Saint Steve

« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2011, 06:47:54 pm »
I'm at one on Saturday with lots of mk5 GTI's running in the events meets section, from this very forum.

Keep an eye on the thread for results chap over the weekend  :happy2:

Offline Hedge9001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2011, 06:59:22 pm »
caliper clips

Offline johnboy07

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2011, 07:02:20 pm »
i wish i was coming to that well known rolling road to see if mine reaches that figure again. I was told last time by those lads that mine was running well and from what ive seen on those rollers mine was also one of the highest powered ko3 at 280bhp  :happy2:
Stage 2+ 280.4 bhp ITG, Revo Stage 2+, decat, hpfp, THS intercooler, THS engine mounts, Pcv revamp, sportline springs, rs4 fuel valve, DS2500 pads and brembo discs, braided lines, ATE super blue brake fluid and more to come

Offline johnboy07

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2011, 07:03:46 pm »
for me the worst mod was bsh drop links and thats about it. Every other mod apart from the money has been well worth it.
Stage 2+ 280.4 bhp ITG, Revo Stage 2+, decat, hpfp, THS intercooler, THS engine mounts, Pcv revamp, sportline springs, rs4 fuel valve, DS2500 pads and brembo discs, braided lines, ATE super blue brake fluid and more to come

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2011, 07:08:13 pm »

So it is basically a pipe with another filter on it?  :confused:

You tell me how that is in any way better than buying an alternative product, many of which are already pipes with cone filters on there :stupid: (not gonna name any alternatives, but I did have the dbilas and it hooted and whistled and was heavy and got hot and was just generally crap).

Offline heady2010

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2011, 07:40:22 pm »
PDT tuning did a big write up on it a while ago mate, compared lots of different intakes on the same car on a dyno. But what do they know, im sure you have a rolling road in your front room  :signLOL:

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2011, 07:45:24 pm »
PDT tuning did a big write up on it a while ago mate, compared lots of different intakes on the same car on a dyno. But what do they know, im sure you have a rolling road in your front room  :signLOL:

Not quite, got access to the one at work. Besides, I know the difference between what my car produced with dbilas vs ITG (218 vs 235) at SRR so...

/shrugs.

Offline heady2010

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2011, 07:47:46 pm »
well im just going on what pdt said, who apparently are all  :stupid:  :stupid:  :stupid: ??? harsh..... lol

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=0g291lfklf0arm8cga2asd4uas&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2011, 07:51:06 pm »

290 bhp on a ko3!!!  :popcornsoda:

And you say thats a well calibrated dyno  :signLOL:

Is that a happy one aswell?

Well from everything ive read it is and they have a good reputation, im not gonna say the name of the company because you'll just start trying to give them bad press. If you look round there are a few ko3s making 290 on stage 2 plus.  :smiley:

AMD?