Make a donation

Author Topic: Worst Modifications to your MK 5 thread...  (Read 15603 times)

Offline cmdrfire

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
Re: Worst Modifications to your MK 5 thread...
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2011, 07:51:37 pm »
well im just going on what pdt said, who apparently are all  :stupid:  :stupid:  :stupid: ??? harsh..... lol

YMMV. This thread asked what was the worst modification I've done, I said it, and gave an opinion (and supporting evidence) why. I didn't really comment on what PDT say, and (in this instance) don't care really.

Offline heady2010

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2011, 08:00:11 pm »
well you did, but not intentionally. Im sure you would of had a slightly different responce if i originally posted the link they posted. Yeah anyway as much as i love playing keyboard warriors, we'll let the crap mod thread continue.  :pomppomp: xxxxx

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2011, 08:05:18 pm »
well you did, but not intentionally. Im sure you would of had a slightly different responce if i originally posted the link they posted. Yeah anyway as much as i love playing keyboard warriors, we'll let the crap mod thread continue.  :pomppomp: xxxxx

Chill your boots dude, all he did is post what he thinks was his worst mod. if you like it, then fine. stop taking the dbias bashing as a personal insult.  :laugh:

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2011, 08:08:07 pm »

:happy2:

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2011, 08:20:17 pm »
My rule with modding is this:

Never (with the exception of mapping) do anything you can't reverse back to stock and get some of your money back when you're done.

With all I did, I don't think I made my car better - I just made it more suited to what I wanted it to do. The MKV is a fine car out of the box, which is why it won so many awards.
Sideways yo!

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2011, 09:03:40 pm »

Never (with the exception of mapping) do anything you can't reverse back to stock and get some of your money back when you're done.

With all I did, I don't think I made my car better - I just made it more suited to what I wanted it to do. The MKV is a fine car out of the box, which is why it won so many awards.

can you easily reverse the limited slip diff once its in or would it be more hassle than its worth?
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline luckyGti

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2011, 09:32:07 pm »

can you easily reverse the limited slip diff once its in or would it be more hassle than its worth?

You can remove the diff but you have to bear in mind the cost of removing the gearbox, a second hand Lsd will still fetch strong money  :happy2:

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2011, 09:33:21 pm »

i generally agree with this. my MY11 mirrrors mod will be a notable exception tho...
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2011, 10:01:44 pm »

i generally agree with this. my MY11 mirrrors mod will be a notable exception tho...

Do you have Mk6 mirrors on your Golf? Straightforward swap?

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2011, 10:06:46 pm »

Do you have Mk6 mirrors on your Golf? Straightforward swap?

lol don't drive a golf. check the sig :P

i'd imagine that the Mk6 mirrors are a straight swap tho. but you'd probably need the baseplate and the housing so not cheap. i came across the parts fairly inexpensively for my swap, but i've got to swap the door modules and code which is a pain.

tbh i like the Mk6 mirrors but i don't think their pointy-ness would suit the Mk5's rounded shape
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2011, 10:13:35 pm »
Furry dice!

Did nothing for performance and looked silly dangling and bouncing around every bend!!

Sold them on, got nearly all of my money back and bought a Magic Tree instead.......  :pomppomp:

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2011, 10:16:55 pm »
^^^^^

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2011, 10:23:04 pm »
^^^^^^^

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2011, 10:33:30 pm »

....Making my car more suited to what I want to do is my prime motivation. Although it's far more sensible to take your advice re costs recovery, I simply don't have the heart to put her back to standard and have no plans to sell anyway. Even after 6 years I absolutely love every mile.

Worst mods? - That's a tricky one to answer. Neuspeed discharge and charge pipes probably - I didn't feel any improvement worth their high cost. Two companies I don't trust for delivering effective products are Neuspeed and BSH.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline GNJ_Motorsport

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 20
    • GNJ Motorsport
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2011, 11:05:00 pm »
Excellent thread. I think some mods get bad reviews because they don't make that immediately noticeable difference. Sometimes all those small mods add together to make the overall car.

There are some crap mods for the Mk5 Golf though tbf. Cheap nasty coilovers for one and some of the intakes are all show no go. I suppose it depends what you want from them, some people want a fancy engine bay and are happy with stock power. Each to their own  :happy2:

Happy with all the mods on my S3 so far though  :smiley:

0% Interest Free Finance Available On All Parts NOW
www.gnjmotorsport.com
info@gnjmotorsport.com  -  01254 883345
Facebook  -  Instagram