Make a donation

Author Topic: Engine bay cleaning  (Read 2698 times)

Offline tuglet

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Engine bay cleaning
« on: October 12, 2011, 07:53:25 pm »
Hi All

After browsing this sub-forum, I'm inspired to clean up the engine bay in my Mk5 GTI. I plan to spray with engine degreaser and agitate with a suitable brush before rinsing off with my garden hose, then drying and finishing with some form of protection.

However, I'm unclear exactly what electrical connectors/components need to be covered with clingfilm or tinfoil. Looking under the bonnet, pretty much everything seems to be under a plastic cover. Any advice on exactly what to protect from the water would be much appreciated.

Cheers
tuglet

Offline john87

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 53
    • Email
Re: Engine bay cleaning
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 10:03:12 am »
Hi,

I've cleaned mine in this way, simply avoiding the fusebox area and covering battery terminals. All was well after the wash  :happy2:
VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (Central Scotland)

Offline tuglet

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 10:20:58 am »
Hi,

I've cleaned mine in this way, simply avoiding the fusebox area and covering battery terminals. All was well after the wash  :happy2:

Hi John

That's great, thanks. Did you have your engine running when hosing off? I've read a lot of posts about engine cleaning lately and there seems to be a lot of contradictory advise.

Offline KevMK5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 11:21:02 am »
I have been thinking of doing this and spent ages looking at options, (steam cleaning etc)

in the end i went and got a bottle of Autoglym engine de greaser and then used a product called Chemical Guys Bare Bones afterwards to give it a form of protection

before

after

sorry about poor iphone quality pics

Laser Blue GT Tdi 140

Offline john87

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 53
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 12:44:19 pm »
Hi,

Hi John

That's great, thanks. Did you have your engine running when hosing off? I've read a lot of posts about engine cleaning lately and there seems to be a lot of contradictory advise.

No I didn't have my engine running, have done with previous cars but don't really see any advantage in he golf since the whole thing's covered in plastic  :wink: different in older cars where the running engine would help standing water to evaporate...
VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (Central Scotland)

Offline tuglet

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 07:43:02 pm »
I have been thinking of doing this and spent ages looking at options, (steam cleaning etc)

in the end i went and got a bottle of Autoglym engine de greaser and then used a product called Chemical Guys Bare Bones afterwards to give it a form of protection

before

after

sorry about poor iphone quality pics

That looks very tidy. I'd be happy with that. Did you cover any electrics when hosing off?

Offline tuglet

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 07:44:07 pm »
Hi,

Hi John

No I didn't have my engine running, have done with previous cars but don't really see any advantage in he golf since the whole thing's covered in plastic  :wink: different in older cars where the running engine would help standing water to evaporate...

Nice one. Cheers.

Offline KevMK5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 11:26:08 pm »
No hosing off done.

Simply spray on the degreaser/cleaner. Agitate with a brush. Spray some more on and wipe off with microfiber.

Laser Blue GT Tdi 140