Make a donation

Author Topic: High wattage headlight bulbs  (Read 1330 times)

Offline Lee01

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 5
High wattage headlight bulbs
« on: October 14, 2011, 10:24:42 am »
Just wandering if anyone, has used high wattage bulbs for their dipped or main beam?

Halfords stock and sell various higher wattage bulbs, which will be much brighter than stock items.
My only concern is wheather they damage any switches / components due to the higher wattage / draw on the current?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?.......

Many thanks
Lee

Offline Stg123

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 2
Re: High wattage headlight bulbs
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 10:39:35 am »
I've replaced my  bulbs with philips extreme vision bulbs which are an exact replacement with regards to wattage etc. I can recommend them highly. The beam is a lot whiter and the beam is more defined and illuminates a longer distance in front of the car. Osram night breakers are also recommended by others. Have a look on powerbulbs.com to see what is available for your car. eBay also has several replacement bulb sellers who are cheaper than powerbulbs.
Hope this helps
Steve

Offline john87

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 53
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 12:04:52 pm »
...having melted bulb connectors in the past, personally I'd stay clear of 100w and any bumbs higher than 60/55w - the golf headlights are pretty damn good when combined with an 'upgrade' 60w bulb such as Philips x-treme or Ring Xenon Max  :happy2:
VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (Central Scotland)

Offline Lee01

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 08:34:41 pm »
...having melted bulb connectors in the past, personally I'd stay clear of 100w and any bumbs higher than 60/55w - the golf headlights are pretty damn good when combined with an 'upgrade' 60w bulb such as Philips x-treme or Ring Xenon Max  :happy2:

Thanks for comments guys!