Make a donation

Author Topic: Polishing/Swirls  (Read 3924 times)

Offline Johnny_tro

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 12
Re: Polishing/Swirls
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2011, 11:51:29 pm »
wheels, tyres. glass. door sills/shuts, plastic trim, exhaust

Wheels < I generally stick with soapy water. generally my wheels are cleaned and sealed and washed regualr. Don't have any need for wonder wheels etc.

Glass < always used Autoglym glass polish. I love it!!

sills/shurts < I tend to wash these during the bucket stage

Plastic trim < guessing (IMO) I would just use a product trim restorer once washed and dried ?
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 12:22:44 am »
Glass polish is okay but I find it can leave a dusty residue if you use a tad too much. But I'd definitely use a dedicated glass cleaning cloth to buff the glass with afterwards.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 12:25:58 am »
easier, can you just put a quick step process to what you do buddy?

nice programe I can follow? then I will look into the products for these steps
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2011, 12:30:59 am »
Essentially as you've outlined it above. Everyone does it in different ways, so it's up to you to find what works best for you.

TBH I cheat. Because of time and space constraints, I'll often divide up the detail so it takes me a few weekends to do. Some people like to tackle wheels first. I do them the weekend before I tackle the paintwork. I then usually do plastic trim and windows the following weekend as by that point, you can see all of the dried wax residue. Interior gets done the weekend after. Exhaust gets done at some point during the week.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2011, 12:36:46 am »
Interior < think I got spot on. Just need to get a nice sealer (as recommended earlier)

APC it all and have a carpet wet and dry cleaner for the carpets which keeps the mint.

Just need to build my exterior products and accessories

Offline SimonBash

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2011, 06:07:15 pm »
As a very rough guide on the correction side....

My Black GTI was covered in swirls when I bought it in March this year, after the necessary prep I have enhanced the paint up to this point so 90% of swirls removed with some deeper marks remaining.

To do this I have used:

DA polisher (DAS6-Pro)
Yellow Lake Country compounding pad with Menzerna Fast Gloss, followed by:
Green Lake Country polishing pad with Menzerna Intensive Polish 3.02, followed by:
White Lake Country polishing pad with Menzerna Final Finish

Sealant/wax wise I used Auto Finesse Rejuvinate to cleanse the paint so the wax could bond properly, then waxed with Swissvax Best of Show.

Above will be stripped off shortly, then the Blackfire package applied (Gloss Enhancing Polish to cleanse, Wet Diamond Sealant finishing with Midnight Sun Wax).

At some point I will go for full correction with my rotary, when time allows :wink: