Make a donation

Author Topic: Polishing/Swirls  (Read 3927 times)

Offline Johnny_tro

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 12
Polishing/Swirls
« on: October 14, 2011, 11:43:43 pm »
Look at some Mag's footage showing how to remove swirls < they make it look easy by hand, from experience this is a back breaking job?? you really need a machine yes?

Machine < if used wrong can these cause more damage than good?
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

MPS

Re: Polishing/Swirls
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 12:10:25 am »
Dual action polishers are safer than rotaries as the heat doesn't build up as quick. Search youtube for Junkman's tutorial videos, the guy's a legend!

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 12:29:58 am »
 :happy2: this guy >>

is the secret in the products? a good quality cutter/paste?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 12:40:41 am by Johnny_tro »
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 09:12:48 pm »
The secret is in the technique! There are guides in this section and I've pointed a few links to detailing world. They have a great guide to polishing.

Machine will always be better than hand, but if going by hand, use Autoglym SRP.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline maxload

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 29
  • Edition30 - No.1819
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 09:23:29 pm »
The secret is in the technique! There are guides in this section and I've pointed a few links to detailing world. They have a great guide to polishing.

Machine will always be better than hand, but if going by hand, use Autoglym SRP.

I have some really anoying swirl marks that need attention. Marks that were inflicted on the car by the previous owner.  I've tried  Autoglym SRP by hand (very hard work) and to an extent it did work , but some are still visible.
Im now looking into buying a DA . As stealthwolf says there are plenty of great guides on Detailing world and youtube to help.

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 09:36:58 pm »
Totally < been looking and reading and when you get into it you really open a can or worms lol

For correction/correcting < there are sooo many products with different impacts, almost like using wet/dry technicque. Just getting the right one (abrassive-ness) for your paint.

or do you guys stick with a simple basic polish?

DA polisher < this seems to be the only TRUE way of impacting bad paint. OTherwise it's hour + on each panel by hand.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 09:48:14 pm »
Again, you need to look at the detailing world guides. You're meant to assess the paint and go with the least abrasive pad and polish combo that will remove most of the swirls. This means trial and error. Also means spending for a polishing starter set. For the hassle and struggle, as I said above, you can get someone professional to do it and it'll be easier for you to maintain.

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 09:52:12 pm »
Totally agree.

Would you say correction < one off?

then its a simple case, wash, polish and wax to protect..........as often as possible to maintain?

Do you mannually polish and wax? or do you have a DA?

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 10:06:55 pm »
I wouldn't say correction is a one off. It needs it as often as it needs it.

TBH a correction isn't cheap - you're looking around £300-600 because of the amount of hours involved. An enhancement would take out maybe 70-80% of the swirls but this depends on the original paintwork.

Once you've had the car detailed, you don't need to polish. It shouldn't be done more than 2-3 times a year. Get it detailed, then all you need to do is a weekly wash, dry and go over with quick detailer to keep the shine up, or a new coat of wax every few weeks/months to keep it topped up.

I have a D/A - bought a Megs G220 with 3M pads and menzerna polish. Will be trying out the Hex-Logic pads once my work stuff is complete.

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 10:18:45 pm »
Whats your paint like overall?

have you had any major detailing done?

Reason < your going to try out Hex-logic pads....do you not risk making it worse, not better?

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 10:51:41 pm »
Why would I make it worse?

I know how to use a machine polisher but at the mo don't have much of a space to get the car done all in one go, which is why I've used midlands detailing in the past.

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 11:11:13 pm »
Trialing products < esp if your paint is in tip top condition? do you not stick with a proven method?

From what I have learnt, my prosses would be

1) jet wash
2) Snow foam
3) two bucket wash
4) rinse
5) Clay
6) rinse
7) dry
8) Polish
9) Wax/Protect

What you think?

MPS

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 11:28:38 pm »
I think you need to insert another rinse step inbetween steps 2 and 3 - to rinse off any dirt that the foam has managed to loosen from the paintwork. Although I'm no expert! All IMHO!  :happy2:

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011, 11:31:39 pm »
Updated.........

From what I have learnt, my prosses would be

1 Jet wash
2 Snow foam
3 Jet wash
3 two bucket wash
4 rinse
5 Clay
6 rinse
7 dry
8 Polish
9 Wax/Protect

What you think?

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2011, 11:43:25 pm »
There's no problem with trialling products. It's part of what detailing is about.

1 Jet wash
Not everyone rinses the car first. Some believe that it helps loosen the first. Others think it means the snow foam doesn't work as effectively. FWIW I tend to snowfoam a dry car.

2 Snow foam
3 Jet wash
3 two bucket wash
4 rinse
Up to this point can be used for regular maintenance washes. In which case, I'd recommend sheeting the water (ie open ended hose, no nozzle etc) as it'll help speed up drying.
Before claying, I'd add in a de-tar process - to remove any tar stuck to the car. This stops the clay picking up the tar and rubbing it around. Auoglym do a tar and glue remover, but my fave is Tardis.

5 Clay
6 rinse
7 dry
8 Polish
Remember. there will be polish residue at this point, depending on the polish used. If you're using Autoglym SRP, then move straight on to wax. If you're machine polishing, I'd probably wash and dry the car again, and then probably add in a glaze/paintwork cleanser.
9 Wax/Protect

Good for paintwork, but you've missed out: wheels, tyres. glass. door sills/shuts, plastic trim, exhaust.