Make a donation

Author Topic: Rns 510 or stage one remap ???  (Read 4220 times)

Offline vwrascal

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 28
  • If it aint rubbin you aint dubbin
Re: Rns 510 or stage one remap ???
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 06:17:04 pm »
rns510 for me, ETTO and all that!    :innocent:

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 06:21:04 pm »
Do both.

Ring Motech for a remap which is about £250 and then get a RCD510 instead of the RNS510. Same unit apart from the satnav and tbh built in satnavs will never be as good as a tomtom unit or tomtom on your iphone.. RCD510 is about £250..

Your welcome :)
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 06:33:31 pm »
LED RNS all day long for me.  My one and only experience of a re-map ruined the VW smooth drive-ability.  The RNS finishes off the interior brilliantly.

Version 7 mapping with speed cameras assists too!

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2011, 07:27:01 pm »
I went for satnav before re-map and loved it. No fiddling around with Tomtoms, no CDs lying around etc. Loved it.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

h4rdy

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2011, 07:32:12 pm »
You will have to factor in your insurance change with the Remap too so your £300-£500 may not stretch.

I would go for the RNS510 Rev C LED and save up for the Remap when your insurance is due!

Is that a little tooooooooooooooo sensible?  :innocent:

Offline will130787

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: Re: Rns 510 or stage one remap ???
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2011, 07:38:55 pm »
This question should not exist, remap every time for me.....

But that's me!

Sent from my iPhone destroyer using tapatalk

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2011, 08:24:44 pm »
i'm gonna buck the trend and say RNS-510

i got RNS-E and still haven't got a remap and i don't regret it at all.

put it this way - you can use RNS all the time. it improved EVERY drive. a remap only improves your drive when you have the chance to give it a blast, and nowadays that's quite rare. nobody cares if you get up to motorway speed 1 second faster or not.

just my £0.02  :happy2:
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline baldwined30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2011, 08:28:16 pm »
MFD2 + motec remap= £500. when you have saved a little more you can buy the rns unit.
Ed30

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=lv0kn0aso5env2qsee9ckvk678&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2011, 08:29:33 pm »
Sub.... What happens of you know the way to your location?

A remap drastically changes your car performance, and I use the benefit of that every journey without fail. But I have the mfd2 so I do have nav, just poverty spec! :-)

Remap.....

Offline baldwined30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2011, 08:32:28 pm »

A remap drastically changes your car performance, and I use the benefit of that every journey without fail. But I have the mfd2 so I do have nav, just poverty spec! :-)

Remap.....
I have the mfd 2 and I don't mind it! I prefer money spent on the engine, oh and the repayments hahaha
Ed30

Offline essoman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2011, 08:37:31 pm »
Go for the remap mate.£250 will get you 240/5 bhp plus loads more torque.A before and after rolling road session and a custom map from R Tech.Top guys !

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=lv0kn0aso5env2qsee9ckvk678&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2011, 08:37:42 pm »
Mines paid outright but I go through petrol like a smack head goes through gear.  Worth every penny though :-)

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2011, 10:56:23 pm »

Remap.....

dunno about the RNS510 but RNS-E confers other advantages such as slightly better sound quality, SD card reader (my old Symphony II meant I only had a 6 CDC and no "modern" way of playing music) and just makes my interior look better/a nicer place to be. also just because i know where i'm going doesn't mean i know where the traffic jams are. my RNS-E has driven me around a sticky situtation or two before so sometimes it's on even if i know exactly where i'm headed  :happy2:

plus you gotta factor in that i graduated from a 1.6 MPI to a 2.0T so i still feel the 95% increase in power in a car that weighs exactly the same is plenty for the minute  :signLOL:.

don't get me wrong i'd imagine a remap does make a world of difference, but in this era of traffic cameras, coppers with a bee in their bonnet, high petrol costs and the like you still can't exploit the whole 197bhp on tap so what's the point of more? tbh after having had a remap planned for ages i don't think i'll get one on this car now. a bit of weight saving, a CAI and some of those aerodynamic tweaks and i think my car will be plenty fast for me until i can afford something that was designed to be quicker from the factory floor.
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2011, 11:52:07 pm »
I think that RNS is a good option if your needing Sat Nav, otherwise i would go re-map, but bear in mind your insurance premium is likely to increase by £200 or so, you will likely need more than £300 for a re-map so that blows your budget?.
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline patrickcullen87

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2011, 06:45:48 am »

Remap.....

dunno about the RNS510 but RNS-E confers other advantages such as slightly better sound quality, SD card reader (my old Symphony II meant I only had a 6 CDC and no "modern" way of playing music) and just makes my interior look better/a nicer place to be. also just because i know where i'm going doesn't mean i know where the traffic jams are. my RNS-E has driven me around a sticky situtation or two before so sometimes it's on even if i know exactly where i'm headed  :happy2:

plus you gotta factor in that i graduated from a 1.6 MPI to a 2.0T so i still feel the 95% increase in power in a car that weighs exactly the same is plenty for the minute  :signLOL:.

don't get me wrong i'd imagine a remap does make a world of difference, but in this era of traffic cameras, coppers with a bee in their bonnet, high petrol costs and the like you still can't exploit the whole 197bhp on tap so what's the point of more? tbh after having had a remap planned for ages i don't think i'll get one on this car now. a bit of weight saving, a CAI and some of those aerodynamic tweaks and i think my car will be plenty fast for me until i can afford something that was designed to be quicker from the factory floor.

im guessing you havent drove a gti with a remap then  :drool:
Admin Notice Sig Removed - Signature images should be no bigger than 450 pixels wide x 150 pixels high