Make a donation

Author Topic: golf R  (Read 4454 times)

Saint Steve

Re: golf R
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2011, 12:27:41 pm »
Ah it's been a while since we had a golf R bashing thread. you can tell Candy is visiting again.  :laugh:
chill out TC , i work with a little guy like yourself he s always shouting his mouth off too , must be to make up for his size  :wink:
if you went back to a golf now you would see what im saying

:popcornsoda:  

Golf R is tsi, wouldn't say it's like a mapped ED30, I have a mapped ED30 and my Eddie has lots more punch, golf R is a nice car but just doesn't justify the ££££ and that's coming from me who works for VW  :signLOL:

I'm pretty sure the Golf R is Tfsi not Tsi

I'm with you Gaz.....

Offline JackG

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 31
  • aint nuttin to it but to do it.
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2011, 01:52:45 pm »

www.distinctdetailing.co.uk
visit website for current offers!

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2011, 02:36:50 pm »
http://m.volkswagen.co.uk/vw-mobile-site/new/trim/764
Deffo TSI, as is the rocco R

Says TSI on the engine cover but it's still a old TFSI underneath.  :smiley:

VW didn't do any R&D with a k04 in a tsi so using the tfsi engine in the R was a no brainer. Mind you a k04 in  TSI engine delivers more power and torque than the tfsi one.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2011, 03:01:32 pm »
 ^^ Yes it has the same engine as the Edition 30, i have been in the R and IMO theres nothing wrong with the interior quality, its certainly better than the Renault i sat in recently  :sick:

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2011, 03:22:03 pm »
TSI = TFSI, just like DSG = S-tronic. it's just different nomenclature between Audi and VW. even the Audi TT and A5 (which now share the EA888 engine with the MkVI GTI) have "TFSI" written on the back of them.

anyhow, the Golf R has the same engine as the TT-S, and by extension, the same engine as the S3 (EA113 vs. EA888). the engine is basically a mapped Eddy engine, but with stronger internals. the Ed35 has the same engine as well.

no offence to anyone who has one, but you have to be licking windows mad to spend that much money on a Golf. a properly specc'ed .:R is near as makes no difference the same price as an RS3!!! and i think the RS3 is a pointless exercise when you could buy a very nice used A3 2.0T quattro/A3 2.0TDI quattro and map it AND get a very nice used Cayman for the same cash and not have a car that's compromised.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 11:59:41 pm by sub39h »
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline baldwined30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2011, 04:33:25 pm »
Ed30

Offline baldwined30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2011, 04:34:36 pm »
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3342848.htm

Even better, all the room and that V8!
Ed30

Offline candy turbo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2011, 05:09:56 pm »
^^ Yes it has the same engine as the Edition 30, i have been in the R and IMO theres nothing wrong with the interior quality, its certainly better than the Renault i sat in recently  :sick:
nothing wrong with the interior quality its good but was expecting more , they are same leather seats the mk 5 gti had when it was launched in 2005 for a £30 k car i expect more

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2011, 08:27:49 pm »

I was 99% of the way to buying one recently, but a high revving v8 isnt ideal for everyday driving as you need to be using the revs to get them to go. Bargain car for the money though!

h4rdy

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2011, 08:42:42 pm »
anyhow, the Golf R has the same engine as the TT-S, and by extension, the same engine as the S3 (EA113 vs. EA888). the engine is basically a mapped Eddy engine, but with stronger internals.

:popcornsoda:

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2011, 10:42:36 pm »
E90/92 M3's all very nice if you want a car that barely scrapes 20mpg on a good day...

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2011, 12:18:02 am »
And the R wouldnt be much better I'd expect!

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2011, 12:47:51 am »
I drove one last week, i like it but there was no way i was spending 25K on it though ! it felt just like my eddy only a little louder. The needle sweep and LEDs do freshen up the cabin and you can notice the extra power, i just didnt feel like i was buying a new car, far too familiar, so i bought something else instead.
the trouble with the Golf R at the moment is that there are so many better cars cheaper, or in its price range although when prices come down suitably it will be a great car for someone, i just think you need to be really in to your Golfs to pay that sort of price for one !
MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 8
  • No man was ever wise by chance.
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2011, 01:19:32 am »
Its going to be a bit of a biased view from me on the build quality seen as I am a bit of a VAG fanboy. The Renaults are not in the same league for build quality all in my opinion of course.

I do agree they are real expensive for what they are but I think I would take one over the S3 just because they are rare. RS3 on the other hand  :evilgrin:

One in at Audi York, from what I understand the 1st owner traded it in after a few weeks of ownership as he didnt like it.
Afghanistan Trust - Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge.

www.justgiving.com/ptemartinbell

MyProtein - MP119633

Offline baldwined30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2011, 05:53:51 pm »

I was 99% of the way to buying one recently, but a high revving v8 isnt ideal for everyday driving as you need to be using the revs to get them to go. Bargain car for the money though!
what did you get instead?
Ed30