Make a donation

Author Topic: Advice needed please  (Read 1022 times)

Offline Aparoon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
Advice needed please
« on: October 24, 2011, 02:11:02 pm »
After some advice please people. Mate of mine is looking at getting a mk5 golf. He knows im into cars and had the ed30 so keeps ringing me for my opinion on deals hes been offered. The problem is hes not looking at gti / ed30s, hes looked at a 1.9tdi, 1.6fsi and a 1.4tsi (122) and I know jack sh*t about any of them! 

Im just after opinions / advice on these sort of models?Hes part ex - ing a meganne and has been offered 1300ish, doesnt want to pay more than 10k, and fuel isnt really a issue, he just want a cheapish nice golf..

Any replies appreciated. Cheers :happy2:
Edition 30 DSG, Revo 2+,BSH Intake, Autotech hpfp, Blueflame TBE,  Eibach Sportlines, Speedline Turini's GONE

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
Re: Advice needed please
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 02:18:41 pm »
I too know jack sh*t about any of them, however I have driven a 1.9TDI and I wasn't impressed. Awesome fuel economy but it's a very agricultural engine and the power band is very narrow. I'm pretty sure the 2.0TDI is a more refined and powerful proposition and for £10K he should be able to get a GT with decent mileage on it.

Offline Aparoon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 02:22:58 pm »
Thanks. He said the 1.9tdi was sluggish and my only suggestion was a 2.0tdi as Beddies old a3 was grunty....
Edition 30 DSG, Revo 2+,BSH Intake, Autotech hpfp, Blueflame TBE,  Eibach Sportlines, Speedline Turini's GONE

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 02:44:58 pm »
Tell him to get a white gti 3door currently running stage 2+...i might know someone.

Offline Aparoon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 03:12:35 pm »
Haha ive been through this with him he wont have it. How much out of interest ill speak to him

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 03:26:13 pm »
I'd be looking at one of those 170bhp 1.4 TSI twin charger things. Too much miser tax on diesels, no point paying a grand more for a car to save a monkey on fuel.
Sideways yo!

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 03:29:23 pm »
His first mistake was coming to you for advice in the first place...  :grin:
1.9tdi is not a bad motor but suffered due to only being available in 105bhp spec in the mk5, super economical but sluggish compared to the 2.0tdi, I'd go for the lowest mileage 2.0 GT tdi his budget will allow and that will do everything he'll need it to for years  :happy2:
Watch out for the turbo 'owl' noise and issues with the air intake flap motor, other than that it's the same niggles as any mk5 really..

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here

Offline Aparoon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 03:41:11 pm »
Cheers Ste, you were in line for a call  :happy2: