Make a donation

Author Topic: Enhancement Detail - Candy White Golf GTI  (Read 8074 times)

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Enhancement Detail - Candy White Golf GTI
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 08:57:25 pm »
Removal of swirls means polishing. Depending on how severe they are, you could go for an enhancement type detail or a full blown correction. Both would leave you with an excellent starting point to maintain your car.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline B3n

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
  • Boom!!!!
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2011, 09:27:34 pm »
Great work Russ :happy2:

Where you based??

Ben

My Flickr    Instagram: Chappers84

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2011, 10:00:58 pm »

Where you based??

Ben

I know   :laugh:

He can give your new motor a once over tommorrow as he's buying my brakes  :innocent:
GTI Edition 30 No. 907, 3 door, Black. (Now Sold)

Offline RussZS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2011, 10:18:36 pm »

Where you based??

Ben

Hi Ben :)

I'm about 10 miles north of Birmingham, in Walsall :)

Thanks for the kind words all.

Russ.
www.midlandscarcare.co.uk - www.facebook.com/midlandscarcare

I used to be indecisive.......... but now I'm not so sure!

Offline AdeMcG

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2011, 06:11:53 pm »
Removal of swirls means polishing. Depending on how severe they are, you could go for an enhancement type detail or a full blown correction. Both would leave you with an excellent starting point to maintain your car.

so, what do these terms mean (sorry noob cleaning / detailing question)  :ashamed:
Enhancement ?
Correction?

I guess an enhancement is a slight buff and treatment ?
Where as a correction is more serious?

I wouldn't mind something to give some elbow grease to, given the right materials, or even a fool proof pad and buffer, but I am not the most technical, but I like a clean car.
I will see if I can take some shots and post them up.

Oh and I would love some advice on how to best protect my 18" Charleston Alloys this winter.....apparently they are a nightmare? :sad1:
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 06:29:20 pm by AdeMcG »

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2011, 07:08:04 pm »
Have a read of some of the detailing threads showing the work done by detailers like RussZS and JPC/ Miglior. You'll soon understand the difference but essentially an enhancement is more of a light pass with a polisher whereas correction is removing 95% of marks and swirls.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline RussZS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2011, 07:14:43 pm »
Exactly...

It's not clear cut, and different people will mean different things, but generally an Enhancement in my opinion is a single stage machine polish, which depending on paint hardness, can remove maybe 50-80% of defects and generally is done in the space of a day.

A correction detail takes this further, by being a multistaged machine polish, where generally a heavier compound is used initially to remove deeper defects such as scratches, but this process itself leaves its own marking behind, so is refined with one or two more polishing stages, to ensure the finish is as level and crisp as possible, within budget and time allowed.

Most people would be very happy with results from an enhancement, but if striving for perfection, then a 2-3 day correction detail is generally required, to remove every last defect.  Also, detailing isn't just about machine polishing, for a 2-3 day job, I'd expect to see the wheels being removed to be cleaned and sealed properly, arches cleaned properly and dressed, engine bay... etcetc, not all of this is possible in the space of a day - not being done properly, anyway.

Most of what I get asked to do, is to just concentrate on machine polishing (so rarely do I do an interior for example) as that's the most challenging and skillful part of 'detailing' and do what I can in the space of a day.
www.midlandscarcare.co.uk - www.facebook.com/midlandscarcare

I used to be indecisive.......... but now I'm not so sure!

Offline B3n

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
  • Boom!!!!
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2011, 07:29:39 pm »

Where you based??

Ben

I know   :laugh:

He can give your new motor a once over tommorrow as he's buying my brakes  :innocent:

Now that sounds like a good idea!!! :)

My Flickr    Instagram: Chappers84

Offline AdeMcG

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2011, 07:32:58 pm »
Exactly...

It's not clear cut, and different people will mean different things, but generally an Enhancement in my opinion is a single stage machine polish, which depending on paint hardness, can remove maybe 50-80% of defects and generally is done in the space of a day.

A correction detail takes this further, by being a multistaged machine polish, where generally a heavier compound is used initially to remove deeper defects such as scratches, but this process itself leaves its own marking behind, so is refined with one or two more polishing stages, to ensure the finish is as level and crisp as possible, within budget and time allowed.

Most people would be very happy with results from an enhancement, but if striving for perfection, then a 2-3 day correction detail is generally required, to remove every last defect.  Also, detailing isn't just about machine polishing, for a 2-3 day job, I'd expect to see the wheels being removed to be cleaned and sealed properly, arches cleaned properly and dressed, engine bay... etcetc, not all of this is possible in the space of a day - not being done properly, anyway.

Most of what I get asked to do, is to just concentrate on machine polishing (so rarely do I do an interior for example) as that's the most challenging and skillful part of 'detailing' and do what I can in the space of a day.

Thank you for taking the time to explain, excellent stuff.  :happy2:

Well I think my car needs an enhancement in one or two areas, the odd scratch here and there, lots of swirls on the roof I notice, but nothing that shouts out loudly at you when you see it, but I know its there and would rather it wasn't if you get my vibe.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2011, 11:54:43 pm »
Great thread, enjoyed reading it.  :congrats:

Offline GLIDN

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2011, 12:40:59 am »
great read, Pickup a few pointer. Thanks for that.

However, What did you use on the bumper black, side skirts and around the mirrors?

I have some white scuff marks on mine. So I'm trying to figure out how to remove them and what to use to get them to their former glory?