Make a donation

Author Topic: Finally found a new car! (Lightweight wheel question)  (Read 6657 times)

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
Finally found a new car! (Lightweight wheel question)
« on: October 26, 2011, 08:09:41 pm »
After months and months of looking for a new car, from A3's, GTI's clio sports I finally settled on a mini cooper s. The car has most options and it cost me £600 on top of what I got for the golf. Its a fantastic little car, proper happy that I went for it. It handles really well and the supercharger sounds good haha! Ill get some pics up soon.

I hope people dont mind me staying around here, I have looked for a mini forum but non are as good as this one. I want to do some performance and handling mods to it but I need to research the best things to do. I have heard of a pulley reduction (I have no idea what this is, something to do with the supercharger?) so Ill be having a look on the net.

:happy2:
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 09:34:08 pm by ollie288 »

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
Re: Finally found a new car!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 08:19:21 pm »
Bugger off only GTI's on here.  :rolleye:

Little vid to explain superchargers and why the smaller pulley helps.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 08:23:56 pm by Top Cat »

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 08:38:56 pm »
Says Mr Lotus!  :booty: :signLOL:

Arhh thanks for those TC, very educational!  :happy2:

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 09:09:32 pm »
I'm glad you got something that you're happy with Ollie  :happy2:

They're certainly not a bad car at all.
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 09:32:03 pm »
Enjoy the fuel economy  :signLOL: is crap oh try get a John cooper works air box and the charger too off eBay. I have had a couple of em but the cooper works I had was good fun

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 09:33:27 pm »
Funny car these, people really rate them but I just don't, must be a marmite thing, glad you got something you like  :smiley:
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 12:39:38 pm »
I'm glad you got something that you're happy with Ollie  :happy2:

They're certainly not a bad car at all.

Cheers Pete, I would have liked a GTI but I did not want to spend the stupid amount on insurance. £2.5k for the standard car with no mods!

Yeah I am extremely happy. Went for a little spin last night down some B roads and its like a go kart haha. I cant wait to do a few mods to make it better!  :happy2:

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 12:41:47 pm »
Enjoy the fuel economy  :signLOL: is crap oh try get a John cooper works air box and the charger too off eBay. I have had a couple of em but the cooper works I had was good fun

Yeah I dont expect much from the fuel but I have a company car to so I don't really mind. Saying that I got 36 average on the way back from picking it up (170 miles, mostly motorway).

Ill have a look cheers  :happy2:

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 12:42:46 pm »
Funny car these, people really rate them but I just don't, must be a marmite thing, glad you got something you like  :smiley:

Like most cars, people like different things. I love the supercharger whine haha  :happy2:

Offline JulioTDI

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 01:25:09 pm »
Check out 1320mini they have a good rep in the scene and can get you 230bhp relatively cheaply in the R53 Cooper S.
2016 Mk7 Golf GTE 1.4 TSI 204PS PHEV

Past: 2008 Mk5 Golf GT Sport 2.0 TDI 140PS

Offline MitchGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 06:19:09 pm »
good choice :happy2: i nearly got one as a toy so the mrs can have a sensible car! :wink: :evilgrin: love them still may get one in the future a good friend of mine had one running some good power, 17% smaller pulley done at Lohen(very good mini tuning company) then remap, airfilter, 4 2 1 manifold, full decat exhaust and it went like a rocket!! :grin:

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 11:10:14 pm »
Check out 1320mini they have a good rep in the scene and can get you 230bhp relatively cheaply in the R53 Cooper S.

Thanks mate, I'll have a look. What do you think is involved in getting that sort of power?

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 11:12:43 pm »
good choice :happy2: i nearly got one as a toy so the mrs can have a sensible car! :wink: :evilgrin: love them still may get one in the future a good friend of mine had one running some good power, 17% smaller pulley done at Lohen(very good mini tuning company) then remap, airfilter, 4 2 1 manifold, full decat exhaust and it went like a rocket!! :grin:

Cheers Mitch. I love it too, tbh before I bought it I wasn't sure, but now I'm so glad I did, I love it! Can't wait to do a few mods!  :evilgrin:

Offline JulioTDI

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 03:50:22 pm »

Thanks mate, I'll have a look. What do you think is involved in getting that sort of power?

Usually Smaller pulley for the supercharger, cooler plugs, intake and maybe an inter-cooler, depends how small you go on the pulley. The smaller you go the more heat is produced.

They normally do a compression & leek down test and on phase 2 cars they find they get 190bhp standard then build on from there. Don't normally have to map until you go to a manifold and de cat or sport cat.

check out www.minitorque.com great place for info.
2016 Mk7 Golf GTE 1.4 TSI 204PS PHEV

Past: 2008 Mk5 Golf GT Sport 2.0 TDI 140PS

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2011, 09:33:26 pm »

Usually Smaller pulley for the supercharger, cooler plugs, intake and maybe an inter-cooler, depends how small you go on the pulley. The smaller you go the more heat is produced.

They normally do a compression & leek down test and on phase 2 cars they find they get 190bhp standard then build on from there. Don't normally have to map until you go to a manifold and de cat or sport cat.

check out www.minitorque.com great place for info.

Thanks for the info Julio! I'll sign up to that forum!  :happy2: