Make a donation

Author Topic: Call me cynical.....  (Read 1918 times)

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
Call me cynical.....
« on: October 28, 2011, 10:40:01 pm »
.........but Astra VXR drivers do deserve the reputation they have......

I popped out this afternoon to to the Post Office, the route of whic takes me through some 20mph roads. In front of me is a red VXR, it dissapears quite a distance ahead of me (I can hear the exhaust note in 2nd reach not far off the rev limiter (so say 60 in a 20 zone). Anyway I carry on at my own pace (not trying to catch him) and about half a mile later he is stopped in the middle of the road with another silver VXR in the op lane having a chat. I wait about 30 secs while he talks beep my horn as he has had no obstruction ahead, the red one drives on and the guy driving towards me shouts out (well if I complete the sentance the thead will be removed).

They deserce the reputation..........
GTI Edition 30 No. 907, 3 door, Black. (Now Sold)

Offline simonp

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
Re: Call me cynical.....
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 10:43:21 pm »
I came up behind another R32 in Bath a while back and he floored it upon seeing me in the mirror. Pointless, as if I'd wanted to break the speed limit as well, I'd have had no trouble keeping up, would I?!!

Offline B3n

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
  • Boom!!!!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 01:07:57 pm »
They're all a bunch of idiots!!!! There's a Blue one in particular that every time he is behind me sits inches off my back bumper wanting a race!!!! He has done it 4/5 times now every time I just sit there and ignore him but get seriously tempted to just slam my foot on the brake!!! But I am not gonna lower myself to that level as tempting as it is.

My Flickr    Instagram: Chappers84

h4rdy

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 07:20:01 pm »
Its general Vauxhall performance(ish) drivers who IMO, yes IMO, have something to prove.

The last time I mentioned it everyone jumped down my throat and accused me of racing, which wasn't the case.

The guy I know with a red VXR is now driving a mk3 Golf due to his ban for 140mph on the M40.

There is also 2 guys in the Iver/Langley area in Slough. One has an old A reg Astra with Hill Climb racing stickers and writing on window and the other has a similar age Nova( :signLOL:) complete lunatics who are willing to die to overtake you and anybody else in their way :stupid:

I have no idea why but its like a red rag to a bull when they see a VW GTI. Or is it any car they have to prove it to?

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 07:45:59 pm »
they aren't trying to race you all-they are trying to get to where they are going before the engine mangement light comes on and puts the car into limp mode :signLOL:

Offline skard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 08:09:49 pm »
I see this kind of thing a lot, and totally agree.

I'm not sure what it is about certain guys who drive Vauxhall's - I had the exact same situation once at a drive-thru, both guys had Vectra C's. Blocking off all access and mouthing off as I went past.
I sort of bunch these guys in the Nova driver category, but ended up being fathers and had to migrate to the bigger version.

I also found some Seat drivers also have a bit of a point to prove?
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline B3n

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
  • Boom!!!!
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 11:15:14 am »
Or is it any car they have to prove it to?

You wanna try passing a Corsa VXR whilst driving a Clio 197 :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting:

My Flickr    Instagram: Chappers84

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 03:59:22 pm »
Never got the chance when I had mine, but I did have a good tear-up with an R27 the other night. He was behind and kept up well enough, as it was twisty (ish), but I wouldn't have minded doing it again with me at the back to see what happened! :grin:

Offline j8ekt

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 04:22:33 pm »
I can't really put a downer on Vauxhall Corsa VXR drivers because aswell as owning and driving an Edition 30 my Mrs has a Corsa VXR which I drive regular and don't drive like I have something to prove it's a great little car but that's just my opinion
CW Edition 30

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 11:17:46 pm »
Maybe I should have stated this in the beginning my rant was about the general attitude of the VWR drivers. I wasn't driving my ed, I was in the wife’s Nissan X trail  :ashamed: so they can't possibly have been looking for a race just generally driving like loonies irrespective of what cars are behind them.

The bit I was p1ssed about was 2 of them blocking the main road talking to each other about Burberry caps while queues of traffic were accumulating either side.
GTI Edition 30 No. 907, 3 door, Black. (Now Sold)