Make a donation

Author Topic: Backing up files, folders? Before OS reinstallation.  (Read 730 times)

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 59
Backing up files, folders? Before OS reinstallation.
« on: October 30, 2011, 02:29:46 pm »
I currently have a 7 year old dell desktop which is soon to be replaced by a new laptop. I was planning on stripping back the desk top getting rid of 7 years worth of dross. There are however a few programs that I want to keep on there which will be lost when I reinstall or upgrade the OS, such as MS Office, software for the BT Home hub, drivers for the printer/scanner. Is there a way to back these up on an external hard drive? If so can someone give me an idiots guide on how to do it?

Cheers, Lee.

His: MK2 Black Magic Skoda Octavia vRS Estate
Hers: MK5 Graphite Blue Pearl VW Golf GT140 -

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32783.0.html

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
Re: Backing up files, folders? Before OS reinstallation.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 04:54:15 pm »
You can't really back up an installed programme that has keys written to the registry and move it over to a different pc and expect it to work.

I assume your new laptop will come with windows 7 so you will need to look on the manufacturer of your printer/scanner for updated drivers. If none are available then you'll have to hope that win 7 has built in compatible generic drivers otherwise you'll need to replace/update your printer/scanner.

As for MS Office, win 7 will work ok with a fresh install of office 2000 and later versions.

hth
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 59
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 07:47:12 pm »
Cheers mate, the printer will need reinstalling on the desktop anyway.  I think I have found most of the original program CD's now so should be ok, just can't find MS Office 2007, but that should be taken care of...... :evilgrin:

His: MK2 Black Magic Skoda Octavia vRS Estate
Hers: MK5 Graphite Blue Pearl VW Golf GT140 -

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32783.0.html

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 08:00:16 pm »
if you run the ms windows 7 upgrade advisor it will let you know any problems  :happy2:

i suspect many of your discs may not be of any use (unless they were for Vista) but you can always get the drivers etc off the web.

just done 2 vista laptops with Windows 7 and its superb, so much better  :happy2:
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD