Make a donation

Author Topic: Porsche Brakes 6 pot ED30???  (Read 5762 times)

Offline vagmaster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Porsche Brakes 6 pot ED30???
« on: November 23, 2011, 11:58:22 pm »
Hi guys, can anybody shed some light if these will fit an ED30. I am currently running R32 brakes anyway, need stopping power now we are 330bhp  :drool:

But want to use the same R32 discs, but unsure if we need anything else carriers, brackets etc. Been told will most prob need special bolts, not sure if they are the ones I already had to get to fit the R32 brakes as they required longer bolts that go through the caliper to the hub I think

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110774928787?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I think the link refers to mk4 R32 not mk5 though

Thanks

Vagmaster

Offline Bernhard30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 16
Re: Porsche Brakes 6 pot ED30???
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 12:40:28 am »
This is a possible upgrade on the Ed30, I was gonna fit this kit to mine about a year ago.

As far as I remember the 6 pots are a straight bolt on, but you have to run either wheels with plenty of offset or spacers to clear the bloody great big caliper.
When PDT trial fitted them to my car it was measured to need a 12mm spacer to fit under the 18" Pescara Ed30 wheel.
They can run with either a 330mm or even a 350mm Merc disc as far as I recall.
I also got the extra (mega) strength shoulder bolts especially for this kit from Dave Brown on here. The bolts were not cheap.

I think the issue with the kit is the fact you get a slightly longer pedal travel due to the Mk5 Master Cylinder not being able to push the 6 pots with enough vigour, but I'm sure DaveB will post up a more detailed explanation.
However given the fact DaveB also now does a master cylinder upgrade, the combo can be made to work with a superb pedal action now.

I was seduced by lightweight 4 pot (AP designed) set up so I never fitted these Porsche Cayenne brakes.
But still have the 6 pot calipers, 330mm discs, brake lines and correct shoulder bolts in the garage, which I really must dig out and get them up for sale.  I also have some brand new 12mm spacers, but given I never fitted them, obviously I never investigated the master cylinder upgrade. Know it's cheeky but pm me if interested.

Dave at PDT has fitted this kit in the past, he sold me the kit, so I'm sure will post his thoughts if he sees this..or give him a bell perhaps.

Offline jimk04

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 04:37:25 pm »
AFAIK you cant make the Cayenne caliper line up correctly with the mk5 R32 disc, so you need to use ML/R discs in either 330 or 350mm. The calipers you linked to (expensive) are the 17Z versions which are designed for 330mm discs.

The MErceded part no for reference (330mm) is 164 421 04 12. I think you can get decent aftermarket ones from Pagid from ECP.

I would imagine the master cyliner upgrade will be from a late TTs/TTrs as they are 25.5mm dia.

Milltek tbe, Forge intercooler, AMD map, Eibach Sportlines, Porsche 996 over AMG 330mm homegrown BBK

Offline theo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 08:19:43 pm »
If you are interested in some 6pots to fit a mk5 platform I have a set of VWR's available :)

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=pbtni9rrj1ffd248f7j0hfbvc0&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 08:30:23 pm »
How much theo?

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 09:23:19 pm »
Ok....

The calipers you need are the 18ZL (left) and 18ZR (right)

The discs have a 67mm centre bore so don't fit the mk5 you can't do a centring ring which is 1mm thin it just machines itself away so you need to remove and fill in. There's also no method of fixing the disc to the hub.

That said some custom machining sorts all these problems, I also use this disc with the 996TT caliper with great success as well as R8 rears all with correct centring rings and disc fixings sorted

They won't fit with the R32 disc offset is way different

TTRS master cylinder will not fit the Mk5 out of the box, we're getting the MC's from ATE directly, there are 14 different master cylinders for the Mk5 platform not all MC's are upgradeable, we're slowly getting the data together as to which will and which won't, we're using your VIN number to speak to VW about exactly which MC is fitted to your vehicle and seeing if it's a straight bolt on or indeed we need to supply a machined insert. ATE supply the MC and a matched servo as a unit to VW.

If you don't get this right you will cover up the compensating valve and you WILL run into the car in front. I'm deliberately keeping the data safely on my IPad for no other reasons the consequences of getting it wrong through forum Chinese whispers are dire. I've always shared any info I've gleaned and never charged anybody commercial rates in 5 years...this one needs managing though. Unless you are running some serious stoppers you do NOT need an MC upgrade

The 17ZL/R calipers have even bigger piston sizes than the 18 ones...

I find it laughable seeing these for sale on eBay at mega money........why not just buy V8 tourag TDI ones Brand new from VW....... same ..... :wink:

They're also bloody heavy, I've got the bolts in EN16 with a 70 tonne tensile strength, lines if somebody really wants to do this....can't think of one reason why you'd pick this over  the NQSBBK except it looks bigger
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 11:12:03 pm by DaveB1970 »

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 10:40:24 pm »
I have fitted a fair few sets of these, using the mercedes discs in 350mm. If you cost them up then they are relatively cheap, especially if you get good calipers at a cheap price.

Pedal travel is longer than stock and pedal feel is a bit more like a Sierra cosworth than a lemans racer, but by no means bad, this depends on what you are used to though I suppose.

Brake feel and travel aside, they stop really well.