Make a donation

Author Topic: ITpeople out there  (Read 994 times)

Offline Johnny_tro

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 12
ITpeople out there
« on: November 02, 2011, 09:45:42 pm »
High all.

Right, like most of us these days my home has a million and one items ALL running wirelessly. Consoles, media unit, PC, laptop etc.

I run my movies wireless to the PS3, but when it comes to the high quality films I get the stop for a second then plays again. I believe its my wireless
router (standard one from the provider)

1. If I update this to a fast/better one will this help?

2. Can someone recomend one? needs multipul connections and obviously faster ?

:happy2:
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline skard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
Re: ITpeople out there
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 10:11:12 pm »
Have you considered something like http://www.ebuyer.com/179960-extra-value-200mbps-pass-through-powerline-adapter-twin-pack-pi699e2-4u84-3 for your movie streaming?

It will have a better throughput than a wireless device, should have less interference etc too.

However, if you've got loads of peripherals connected to your internet at the same time, you might always have stutter unless you upgrade to a faster connection.
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 10:19:09 pm »
Tried having other stuff switched off....but when stream blueray specifically the PS3 does stutter.

Films on PC < via router < to PS3 basically.....

MMmmm looks good, is this like putting a second router in (say up stairs) or does it just BOOST the wireless connection?
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline skard

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 10:40:34 pm »
Basically these devices are sort of like running a normal ethernet wire between the two (which is actually the best option if it's possible for you).

You'd have this plugged in a socket near the router with a short cable going into one of your router ethernet ports, then the other socket is plugged in near your console with a short lead going into the ethernet port of the PS3.

It cuts out a lot of interference (anything that uses 2.4GHz like microwaves, bluetooth, other wifi) as well as minimising the data overheads in wireless transmissions (there's a lot of extra data info sent with wifi).

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 10:49:17 pm »
MMMmmm could be exactly what I need.

Blueray data through wifi is some BIG data......wired will always be better I guess, unless I spent STUPID money of a £300 router or something.

Offline skard

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 10:54:48 pm »
Yeh wired is always the best option for performance, choose wifi for convenience.

What I'd do if I was you is buy a big ethernet cable (I don't know what the distance is between your router and console?), plug it between the two directly and see how it performs. You could get a 20m cable for about a tenner on ebay.

If it's significantly better with this method then you'll know it's your wifi that's slowing you down, if it's still poor then maybe it's your router or internet connection and you can go from there.

Cheap way to find out  :happy2:

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 11:03:00 pm »
 :happy2: Defo