Make a donation

Author Topic: Golf R..end of an era thoughts?  (Read 1194 times)

Offline Bernhard30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 16
Golf R..end of an era thoughts?
« on: November 01, 2011, 10:13:53 pm »
Currently day dreaming about a Golf R, there are two cracking versions in my preferred Candy colour on "Pistoheeds".
In more doors and less pedals spec, which would be handy.

Now I know these are a rare car and know there's been various debates on here over what these are like to drive but they seem very strong money.
That said coming from a St1 Ed30 I don't think I'll be bowled over by it in standard tune, but expect it's a lovely thing to own but here's what I'm seriously wondering..

Is a Mk6 Golf R (2.0 L, Turbo'd petrol car) the last of a line of tuneable fast golfs (KO4, Haldex etc), I'm wondering with the age of downsizing etc and manufacturers going smaller engined etc, what do people reckon Golf Mk7 top spec will be?
Quite like the idea of the current Golf R, as for me a 'Rocco is not big enough, and even though I'm not convinced it would be 'worth' £20K+ over my Ed30, I just wonder whether future top end Golf's will be 1.6 or 1.4 engined, mega mpg, low CO2 bluemotioney motors in a few years, in a continuance of losing the R32 engine kind of thinking.
What do you peeps think?

Offline Uncle Deedee

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Golf R..end of an era thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 10:22:37 pm »
The new Beetle will be sporting a 2.0tsi in its range so I should imagine the mk7 will have a 2.0tsi in its range too, what level of tuning I'm unsure but there is a mk7 gti floating around with Wolfsburg plates on doing the rounds in Spain at present.
Have you considered the mk6 35?

Offline sub39h

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 10:29:39 pm »
Depends on whether you wanna stick with VW or not but it's hard to make a case for the Golf R when you can get decent S3s for a lot less money

The new A3 will have an RS version (most likely an evolution of the 5-pot) and I'd imagine the new S3 will have a tuned EA888 with roughly 280bhp so there's no reason the Golf won't

I do feel that the loss of the VR6 is a mighty shame though
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline Bernhard30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 10:34:44 pm »
For me I don't feel the Ed35 is sufficiently different enough to the Ed30 to warrant the extra cash, whereas the Golf R, with the 4WD would probably (unless you Teff it up) remove the big grunt through the front wheels issue that golfs have to live with, accepting a slippy diff mod etc.

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 11:16:12 pm »
For me I don't feel the Ed35 is sufficiently different enough to the Ed30 to warrant the cash,

I thought that until I saw one in the flesh, and it was a very desirable piece of kit!  :love:

To the OP, live for now, don't worry about tomorrow!  :wink:

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 08:06:15 am »
I think you can only get leather interior now for the R and ED35 from VW UK.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 04:20:11 pm »
the MK7 will still have a 2.0 lump I reckon but will be more economical and yet powerful.

A bit like the M5 is now a V8 from a V10 and more powerful and the M3 will probably go to a V6 from V8 maybe?
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 8
  • No man was ever wise by chance.
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 07:46:20 pm »
I think what your asking is for the future which people have maybe missed...

I personally think there will always be a market for the 'flagship' models. I cant see them dropping down to 1.6 etc as the Diesels will just take over the demand and phase them out. They will just keep becoming more efficient and advanced. All in my opinion of course.
Afghanistan Trust - Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge.

www.justgiving.com/ptemartinbell

MyProtein - MP119633