Make a donation

Author Topic: Side skirts - colour code standard gti or buy ED30 ones?  (Read 3643 times)

Offline brookesb32

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 75
Side skirts - colour code standard gti or buy ED30 ones?
« on: November 09, 2011, 10:11:37 am »
Hi guys, hoping to get your thoughts on which is the best option.  :happy2:
I have the opportunity to buy a pair of ed30 side skirts they same colour as my car for £150 (they are from a 3 door but read that they are no different than the 5 door version).

Now my question is with all the effort of removing the standard ones to replace with the colour focused ones is it easier / cheaper just to get the current black plastic ones sprayed?

I am looking to colour code the front an rear too at the same time (leaving the nice black insert effect front and rear on bumper and splitter)

So thoughts please. Also anyone know a decent spray shop in the Essex/herts/cambs area?
VCDS cable HEX-USB+CAN. New but can do the basics including coding

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
Re: Side skirts - colour code standard gti or buy ED30 ones?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 10:38:21 am »
depends on the colour of your car
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 10:43:36 am »
The easiest route has to be the pre-painted Ed30 side skirts as getting them painted would probably cost you £150
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline brookesb32

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 11:02:51 am »
depends on the colour of your car

Car is Tornado Red

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 11:11:57 am »
colour probably won't match very well. you'll need to budget on getting whatever you choose resprayed to match
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler

Offline Mandy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 95
  • -Receive: 94
  • Drink Russian, Wear Italian, Drive German :)
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 11:16:18 am »
Bear in mind the Ed30 side skirts will be smooth compared to your GTI ones which have the textured surface. You'll have to have them smoothed prior to spraying which will prob add to the costs, unless if you don't mind the textured look.
Driving: Tornado Red MK7 GTD, BMW 330e
Drove: Rising Blue Golf 6R, Reflex Silver Edition30 No.1684, Tornado Red Mk5 Golf GTI

Offline brookesb32

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 11:26:41 am »
Bear in mind the Ed30 side skirts will be smooth compared to your GTI ones which have the textured surface. You'll have to have them smoothed prior to spraying which will prob add to the costs, unless if you don't mind the textured look.

Well I think smooth would probably be better, haven't seen any painted textured ones to compare  the colour

Could the colour really be that far out to notice? Especially on the TR cars I have seen the rear bumper seems to be slightly different in shade anyway, the lower sections I mean. Guessing same would apply to the skirts

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 11:30:59 am »

Well I think smooth would probably be better, haven't seen any painted textured ones to compare  the colour

Could the colour really be that far out to notice? Especially on the TR cars I have seen the rear bumper seems to be slightly different in shade anyway, the lower sections I mean. Guessing same would apply to the skirts

so if the factory can't be consistent on the same car, do you think that getting parts from another car are likely to match well? if they do that's great, if not then i wouldn't be happy with it. be guided by how perfect you want to be and the amount you're willing to spend. only you can choose :happy2:

Offline AdeMcG

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 03:07:33 pm »
The easiest route has to be the pre-painted Ed30 side skirts as getting them painted would probably cost you £150

You can buy pre-painted colour coded skirts from VW ??
How much?
Part numbers??

Offline brookesb32

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 03:26:42 pm »

You can buy pre-painted colour coded skirts from VW ??
How much?
Part numbers??

By pre-painted the reference was to the ones from an ED30 rater than from a dealer

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 59
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 03:43:42 pm »
Remove textured unpainted GTi skirts and fit the ED30 coded ones, no brainer imo,  firstly the GTi skirts cost about 80 quid from the stealer vs £180 for primed ED30 skirts which would still need painting.  By the time you have removed your skirts had them prepped and painted you will be knocking on the door of the cost of the ED30 ones who have the chance of getting.  If the colour is slightly different it really won't notice based on how low the skirts sit.  To help your decision I will buy your GTi skirts, for a fair price of course!  :evilgrin:

His: MK2 Black Magic Skoda Octavia vRS Estate
Hers: MK5 Graphite Blue Pearl VW Golf GT140 -

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32783.0.html

Offline brookesb32

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 05:55:07 pm »
Remove textured unpainted GTi skirts and fit the ED30 coded ones, no brainer imo,  firstly the GTi skirts cost about 80 quid from the stealer vs £180 for primed ED30 skirts which would still need painting.  By the time you have removed your skirts had them prepped and painted you will be knocking on the door of the cost of the ED30 ones who have the chance of getting.  If the colour is slightly different it really won't notice based on how low the skirts sit.  To help your decision I will buy your GTi skirts, for a fair price of course!  :evilgrin:

Now you may be swaying me, what sort of price do they go for, the standard black ones I mean?  :happy2:

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 59
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 06:35:48 pm »
PM sent.  :happy2:

His: MK2 Black Magic Skoda Octavia vRS Estate
Hers: MK5 Graphite Blue Pearl VW Golf GT140 -

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32783.0.html