Make a donation

Author Topic: MK GTi vs Ed30 - performance potential differences.  (Read 9762 times)

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
Re: MK GTi vs Ed30 - performance potential differences.
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2011, 07:08:00 am »
I also think it depends on the styling you prefer. I personally prefer the look of the standard car but with the 18" Monza shadows. They seem to fill the arches much better than the Pescaras. I was thinking about Ed 30, but as my car was far cheaper, and looked better to my eye, It was a no-brainer.

I'm going to use the saving on a stage 1 upgrade with Milltek stainless steel, and upgrade the brakes, DV and headlights. I reckon about 230 -240 bhp is about perfect for these cars, anymore and I can't see how you can get the power down in a 2wd car.

But, as said previously by someone else, it's all a matter of personal taste.

:driver:

I think the brakes are the Gti s let Down, there are quite a lot of options setups amongst the owners on here.
I can highly recommend the NQSBBK (not quite so big brake kit) super light, Porsche 4pots that go over Gti 312mm diss, plenty of stopping power, great pad choice and next to the massive brake kits very affordable.  A search of NQSBBK should bring up the main topic about them  :happy2:

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2011, 08:38:47 am »
Cheers Mike, and I love the name! Not Quite So Big Brake Kit! Genius!

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2011, 08:44:33 am »
Cheers Mike, and I love the name! Not Quite So Big Brake Kit! Genius!

Haha, linked you to the kit in your thread  :happy2:

Offline dubwear

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2011, 08:00:51 pm »
Well i bought a standard mk5 gti fully loaded, after having a type r for abit (always have amk2 gti in the garage)
and after owning the type r i felt abit let down by the golf, its wasnt much fun nice smooth power
But not very exciting, i got offered good money for it so sold it within 3 weeks,
I then couldnt decide what to buy as i loved the build quailty of the golf but with out spending alot of money on tuning it wasnt going to excite me enough, so a friend let me borrow his edition 30 dsg

I fell i love within 10 mins of driving it.....its now running 297 bhp with a stage one map!
I drove it again once it had been tuned and within a week i was in a e30 and love it to bits it really does tick all the boxes, and to get that much power from a normal mk5 would cost far more and lets face it you never get your money back when tuning, near 300 bhp Is plenty good enough

The price has come down on them but i would say its worth the extra just because it will always sell for more.