Make a donation

Author Topic: Race-Mapped GTI  (Read 2971 times)

Offline Dappen

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Race-Mapped GTI
« on: November 07, 2011, 01:40:14 pm »
Hi guys!

New member as from today so thought I would come along and say Hi....as you do!  Owned the car for just over a year after owning BMW's for the last 10yrs, most recent one was a E90 330d sport, mapped to 306bhp.  The golf is estimated at 270 with this map and with the possibilty of a change in the new year I am now wondering whether to go down the R32 route, ED30 or to KO4 my one  :surprised: its done 71k now and all original still apart from the map which still makes me smile! any ideas would be appreciated.

Offline Carrera2RS

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 6
Re: Race-Mapped GTI
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 07:53:55 pm »
Go edition 30 or Pirelli and get the options you miss with sub 40k miles, I wouldn't invest in K04 on a 71k miler personally. Yours won't be 270 hp either........

Offline Weston

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 09:13:03 pm »
Welcome  :happy2:
GTI going...

Offline GLIDN

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 09:23:17 pm »
welcome along,

you really need to decide what you would like out of the car. Then check to make sure the car is still in great health.
As for Carrera2RS stating not worth it on a 75K old motor. In all honesty I can see where he is coming from. But if it has been well maintained and continues to be you should have no issues. Our mk4 is now approaching 200000km's It's been boosting 21psi since 80000km's. It's still going strong. But again it's all in the maintenance.

If you want to keep this car then go right ahead.

Otherwise sell it and get an Edition 30 or Pirelli. They already have K04. Plus a stronger motor, So mod for mod they make more power.

Personally I would not bother with a K04 on standard GTI, well over here in NZ anyway. As the cost for K04 or going all out to the likes of an APR Stage 3 or similar kit is less than $4000 difference of the get go. Plus the APR kit already has the fuel pump, injectors and Intercooler. So end cost for me over here is almost the same.

However if you were driving an MK6 GTI, then I would strongly recommend/suggest going K04 (only GTI, not ED35 or Golf R). You will end up with 360HP out of the box with the likes of an APR K04 kit or a whopping 460HP out of their new Stage 3 turbo kit.

The Edition 35 and Golf R, both still have the older TFSI engine, so camshaft bucket issue, fuel pump upgrade etc. More maintenance.

Hence my first question was what you would like to achieve from the car. As this will point in the direction you would need to go.

Offline Dappen

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 01:13:25 pm »
Cheers for the replys guys!!

What I'd take into consideration is anything lost on selling the car then anything gained i've done on the car by saving on labour costs etc.  If I went down the ED30 route i would not really want anything more than 350bhp as I feel mine can be a bit of a handful on corners if im not carefull.!!  I'm estimating 270 from mine in 99ron as "jason" from "more-bhp.com" estimated 285bhp for a race map on my 330d sport and when tested actually made 306bhp. not to mention having the edge on my mates scirocco-R.  No mention of the MK5 R32 :ashamed: as 4wd is something i fancy too.

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 01:17:39 pm »
99.9% of stage 1 gti's make 240-250bhp

to get to the 270 you will need a downpipe as a minimum.

Offline Dappen

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 01:23:27 pm »
its not a stage one mate! I hear where your coming from as many quote well over the odds on these which is why im wondering KO4,ED30 or just mod a R32

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 03:01:04 pm »
its not a stage one mate! I hear where your coming from as many quote well over the odds on these which is why im wondering KO4,ED30 or just mod a R32

ah, ok what else has been done besides the map? (stage 1 being the name given to a map thats loaded onto a car that requires no other mods)

Offline gillm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 03:50:41 pm »
Anything over 270 on a ko3 is brave . Or wrong
west tuned gt28 @ 340hp

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 06:04:01 pm »

What Edd666999 is saying is a stage 1 car(or  race mapped :confused:) which is just a remap on its own (No intake, no exhaust, no fuel pump, no intercooler) will see 240hp on 'Accurate' rollers.

Theres absolutely no way you will get 270Hp without a stage 2 remap(or a race map) AS WELL AS a full exhaust system and a top performing air intake and even then you might only be between 260hp-270hp.

To get 270-280hp you would need a stage 2+ remap(or the Race map) AS WELL AS an intercooler, full exhaust system, uprated fuel pump and top of the performing air intake.

Alternatively i find the easiest and most cost efficient way of getting 270hp is with unproven tuner claims or a very generous dyno.

Presuming yours is also a more-Bhp map.  Just seen the quotes and they are very generous gains http://www.more-bhp.com/golf-v/vw-golf-v-20-tfsi-gti-200-remap.html

Offline Dappen

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 09:20:24 am »
I do agree where your coming from mate and they do estimate 260hp BUT they estimated 285 for my Beemer and when put on the rolling road at Milton Keynes "thorney-Motorsport" it came back with 306.  One thing I do notice with the golf is that if it has a good foot full it doesnt take long before cooling fans are on (obviously one warmed up) so ideally would want a better oil cooler and intercooler along with the other bits but besides that.............any views on the R32 as we know the ED30 and Pirelli are good!

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 11:51:27 am »
The R32 is awesome and will easily slay any Veyron out there.  :wink:  :popcornsoda:

I may be biased as I owned one. Likes a drink, sounds glorious, very surefooted (probably because it weighs the same as a large moon), great traction, did I mention the orchestra under the bonnet? Needs a Milltek.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 01:13:18 pm »
yours sounded awesome to be fair.

I do agree where your coming from mate and they do estimate 260hp BUT they estimated 285 for my Beemer and when put on the rolling road at Milton Keynes "thorney-Motorsport" it came back with 306. 

My last car made 288hp once on stage 2 on AMDs rollers.  Couldnt keep up with a 260hp car with identical mods on JKMs rollers.  So wander if i had 288then.....

Where abouts are you located.  Get yourself to a dynodynamics rolling road and then post up the results. 

Offline Dappen

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 05:16:53 pm »
I am tempted to be honest but regardless of any outcome will always bring the doubted minds ans say they aint calibrated right and so on!!  But I'm based in Thrapston (Northampton). Been up against a couple of MK5 R32's and standard scoobys ( I can only assume they are stardard and not STI's) and scoobys I will pass easily, the R32 not a chance.  If i was going down the R32 route it would be sheerly on the sound track, 4WD and potential of the possiblity of around 270/280bhp without cams and obviously turbo although it does weigh more  :confused:

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 05:28:55 pm »
My standard Ed30 was quicker than my R32 and there isn't a lot you can do to the .:R other than intake and exhaust.
Maybe with full cat replacement and increased rev limit you may make 15-20hp but not a lot more.