Make a donation

Author Topic: What would you do? (Recaro question)....  (Read 17290 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: What would you do? (Recaro question)....
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2009, 03:39:59 pm »

if your keep the Rs your get your tag initials on the headrests R R  :happy2:

....That's right :happy2:. And also, as Jonny points out so well, the .:R to VW is what the //M is to BMW - It's not as if I've got RS4 or similar on them.

I've now been told that the Interlagos fabric available is re-manufactured and not exactly the same - Pics are coming to me.

Also, as I'm intending to wrap the Recaro backs in carbon vinyl (sounds horrbile but check out my Carbonskin Gallery link earlier) and also wrap the aluminium door trim strips etc, it could all get a bit too much with Interlagos as well.

A big part of me would like to lose as many silver bits from the car interior as possible/practical - It might be higher quality but I personally don't much like the new Mk6 trim, especially on the steering wheel.

So I'm going to go and see the upholsterer again on Tuesday, or as soon as he's available, and discuss what options might be practical to just subtley enhance the seats - a touch of Red Love.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2009, 03:44:43 pm »

im a bit of a purist though so OEM would be the way for me, either with a retrim as per OEM or the proper covers, if i couldn't afford the trim i would sell the wife  :jumping:

....I just wanted to say that although you and I are very different in our approaches, I much appreciate your attitude - It's because of guys like you that in years in the future there will be some immaculate Mk5 GTI's in their original oem condition to be able to admire.

:happy2: 8) :happy2:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2009, 04:30:09 pm »

My young SWMBO likes them and is long legged enough to get in and out easily. She sat in them for the first time this morning - I got asked to taxi her and a couple of her friends about half-an-hour's drive away. Bit of a separate story here, so I'll post a new thread later in Random - It involves discussions of anal sex! And it wasn't me who brought up the subject!!

PMSL!  you must have a well open relationship with ya daughter in that case!!!  dare say many parents wouldn't be happy talking about that in a car, with their friends in it also. so credit to ya RR  :happy2:

i reckon you should bring her along to a meet one day!  :signLOL:  she sounds like fun! hahahaha

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2009, 04:31:33 pm »
Robin,

I posted this in a previous thread,  This chap reckons he can get OEM interlagos fabric.

Quote:

i have the genuine mk5 cloth in stock at £90 mtr and the original mk1 cloth as well at the same price
but dont have loads left as it flies out the door as soon as i get any

Unquote

I believe he is called Dan

The chaps forum Name is porschetrimr and here is a recent thread.

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=46098&hl=trim'd

:happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2009, 05:02:37 pm »
^^^^
Thanks, stokey :happy2:

Yes I recall you posted this in another thread. I'm not registered there and would need so many posts before I could contact. "KustomTrimming" doesn't result when Google'd :sad:

Thing is though that I'm warming to the non-Interlagos option but red-enhanced .:R styling with carbonskin vinyl wraps.

I won't make a final decision until seeing my upholstery guy to discuss.

Meanwhile anyone here registered on the Club Lupo or on No Rice site who can help me make initial contact by passing on my private email?

:happy2:
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 05:35:06 pm by RedRobin »

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2009, 05:26:03 pm »
You know what I'm going to say Robin.......OPTION 1 is the ONLY option to go for. :happy2: :evilgrin: :drinking:

I like the Recaro's with the trim they have, but you are a little like me when it comes to the mods....If it isn't exactly the way you want it, then it will annoy the hell out of you more and more as time passes.. :smiley:
Golf R gone.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2009, 05:48:55 pm »

You know what I'm going to say Robin.......OPTION 1 is the ONLY option to go for. :happy2: :evilgrin: :drinking:

I like the Recaro's with the trim they have, but you are a little like me when it comes to the mods....If it isn't exactly the way you want it, then it will annoy the hell out of you more and more as time passes.. :smiley:

....I know I could be perfectly happy with the .:R look but with some subtle red enhancements - I could possibly even have the existing .:R logos red embroidered.

Option 1 = £810 less £250 (my oem's sold) = £560

Option 2 = £320 plus £135 (Interlagos) = £455 IF I can get the original oem Interlagos

Option 3 = Custom, not yet costable accurately but would be less than above options and might leave £££difference for carbonskin vinyl wrapping.

[Gotta dash - SWMBO and her mates requiring taxi pick-up]
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 07:32:13 pm by RedRobin »

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2009, 08:41:38 pm »
I would buy the interlagos cloth from the Co who's names escapes me portman or someit like that and just retrim the seat inserts(back&bum bits) with that and leave the R logo, my car has the R logo on it and its an ED30 so dont have aproblem with it.

Alternatively source some old seats and reuse the interlagos cloth from them, could be expensive.
If you do track some down give me a shout as I am after some too.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2009, 08:45:34 pm »

Alternatively source some old seats and reuse the interlagos cloth from them, could be expensive.

If you do track some down give me a shout as I am after some too.

....Are you after Interlagos cloth or complete covers or whole seats?

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2009, 08:56:57 pm »
the cloth itself.

Offline candy turbo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2009, 09:04:48 pm »
option 1 is the only way to go mate , proper GTI with proper interlagos fabric  to match the rears and then carbonskin the backs , i said this first in this thread , spend the money and get it how you want it mate it could end up costing more in the long run cause i m pretty sure you wont be happy with it any way but right ,  do it , lifes too short  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2009, 09:11:23 pm »

the cloth itself.

....I'm in the process of tracking cloth in case that's the option I decide. I'll PM you info accordingly.

Do you know how many metres you want? It might help us both?

Offline candy turbo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2009, 09:16:12 pm »
option 1 is the only way to go mate , proper GTI with proper interlagos fabric  to match the rears and then carbonskin the backs , i said this first in this thread , spend the money and get it how you want it mate it could end up costing more in the long run cause i m pretty sure you wont be happy with it any way but right ,  do it , lifes too short  :happy2:
sorry to be blunt robin but you know i m right !! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2009, 09:19:23 pm »

....I'm still open to the other options until I've chatted to my upholsterer next week and I'm really okay with the .:R logo - In fact I almost prefer it.

Thanks to you and Hurdy, I'll definitely be doing the carbonskin vinyl wrap to seat backs and aluminium trim.  :happy2:. I've got to visit Milltek HQ soon and Carbonskin is en route.

:happy2:  :drinking:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2009, 09:22:42 pm »
The longer I have this car, the less I want to sell her.

Why do you have to sell her?  :sad:

I was a little stuck with the options so, had a good look at some pics and did a little photoshopping:

I don't think the .:R logo looks too bad TBH.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.