Make a donation

Author Topic: What would you do? (Recaro question)....  (Read 17295 times)

Offline QD MBE

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
Re: What would you do? (Recaro question)....
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2009, 11:23:03 am »
I think they will look fantastic as they are, and would leave well alone.  Genuine Interlagos Cloth is avialable, but at around £90 a metre makes the retrim prohibitive IMO.

I think if anything just leave alone, and rejoice in the seats, when you are sat in them, you won't see the cloth.

They will look fantastic Robin, and will make the drive physically more pleasurable.

:happy2:

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 11:36:11 am »
YEH Sorry but you did ask what would you do  :signLOL:, tbh i would get some ripped R32 seats cheap and then have them trimmed up as per the original ed30 design

probably option one for me out of your choices

or option 3  :signLOL:, which is sides done in leather with interlagos middles

....Option 1 is certainly the ideal and the choice of the purist :happy2:

Option 3 is a non-starter as it's not only more expensive but also the leather sides won't match the cloth sides of the back seats. Then changing the sides of the back seats to leather would add even more cost.

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 11:38:58 am »
How about getting your trimmer to restich the seats as they are with some highlighting Red stitching?  Would look fantastic, not all over, perhaps just pick out the seam around the outside?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2009, 11:40:40 am »

I dont understand why the R section would have to remain Robin in option 2 are they just going to sow the interlagos straight over the cover that's there now  :chicken:

....I think they'll replace the existing dark grey with the Interlagos I supply, not just sew it on top. I'd have to check.

I went to MJ interiors last summer to ask about getting the GTI in mine done in red stitching and it turned out very expensive due to the way it had to be done, seats stripped and the GTI section replaced with a pre stitched piece.

But what i am trying to say is surely the have to take those covers off to sow in the interlagos, and if so then its not going to be any harder to replace the R area.

....I'll check with him about what he can do about the ".:R" - He's a Dubber and very local and I'm confident in his work:

Linky: http://www.sjbowles.co.uk/

I think you have to get rid of the R  your's is a GTI and one that gets showed off all over the place.. Save and replace is my thought's

....Are you suggesting I'm a poseur? (You're right - You've rumbled me)

I totally see your logic but I don't have a problem with the .:R and what it stands for.

And remember life is not a rehearsal    :evilgrin:

....So right!! :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2009, 11:45:16 am »

YEH Sorry but you did ask what would you do  :signLOL:,

....Absolutely!  :happy2: - I hope you didn't think my reply was in any way dismissing your suggestions. All feedback is most welcome and helps my decision greatly.

This is a great forum :grouphug:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2009, 11:48:19 am »
Given the choice, I'd take the Interlagos over plain cloth/leather any day of the week - but I don't know if I had such a nice set like yours that I'd be willing to bother with the time/expense to change them. If they were knackered, and you'd paid knackered money for them, I'd see the point.

I think they look nice as they are, but if you're going to do anything, replace the centre with Interlagos and leave the .:R logo as it is.

Or, option 2.7.3 - have GTI stitched onto the top of the backrest of the new centres???
Sideways yo!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2009, 11:52:24 am »

How about getting your trimmer to restich the seats as they are with some highlighting Red stitching?  Would look fantastic, not all over, perhaps just pick out the seam around the outside?

....That's quite an exciting idea, though I think I might prefer something just a little bit stronger such as red piping around the darker grey sections. [We're like a bunch of women discussing our front room sofa and curtain colours!]

But I'd either have to ask Jonny if he'll sell me his back seats (and he has no obligation to do so and must follow his own needs) or try and get some R32 rears elsewhere.

The dark grey cushion sections look much better in real life than pics show but it's much less "GTI".

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2009, 11:55:51 am »
Not at all chap  :smiley:, im a bit of a purist though so OEM would be the way for me, either with a retrim as per OEM or the proper covers, if i couldn't afford the trim i would sell the wife  :jumping:

YEH Sorry but you did ask what would you do  :signLOL:,

....Absolutely!  :happy2: - I hope you didn't think my reply was in any way dismissing your suggestions. All feedback is most welcome and helps my decision greatly.

This is a great forum :grouphug:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2009, 12:02:07 pm »

i would leave it alone and spend the money on more carbon bits and bobs!!!!

....Feck Off!!! :grin: Funny you should say that, Hurdy has given me an idea about some interior trim but I'll post separately about that.

Also, I already have some new carbon parts to be fitted soon. The financing/cashflow this month would be a heck of a lot easier if I hadn't just already bought these carbon parts, and had a cambelt service and new tyres.

seats look lovely.

....You'll get to see them on Saturday if you come. And I might even let you sit in them.

hope they're gonna be on the options list on the Mk6!

....They damned well ought to be! And should be standard on the 'R20T'!

« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 12:04:43 pm by RedRobin »

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2009, 12:09:48 pm »

....Feck Off!!! :grin: Funny you should say that, Hurdy has given me an idea about some interior trim but I'll post separately about that.

hahaha resistance is futile...you know that! But interior retrimming is not cheap by any means, and you have to make sure you find a good reputable chappie to do it.  :happy2:

....You'll get to see them on Saturday if you come. And I might even let you sit in them.

First time i sat in those seats were actually in Johnny's original GTI that he sold to Regal (for demo drive after the BT conversion)..as that had them.  There was a white one at Santa Pod the other week, on the Club GTI stand that had them also. The lass test seating them said they were well nice (so good mod for pulling in the girls eh RR lol) What does your SWMBO think of them??

....They damned well ought to be! And should be standard on the 'R20T'!

I hope so too, at £25k base spec!! Xenons as standard would be greatly welcomed too!  :grin:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2009, 12:15:06 pm »

I think they will look fantastic as they are, and would leave well alone.  Genuine Interlagos Cloth is avialable, but at around £90 a metre makes the retrim prohibitive IMO.

....I only need 1.5 metres for the front seats, so not too prohibitive.

I think if anything just leave alone, and rejoice in the seats, when you are sat in them, you won't see the cloth.

They will look fantastic Robin, and will make the drive physically more pleasurable.

....Yes, the unmatched front and back seat cushions look much better than expected but I much prefer that the whole upholstery scheme is consistent.

"The drive more pleasurable?" - I've just been out earlier and tested them on a very fast rollercoaster section of A-road I know well - Incredible!! I had to consciously check with myself that I had completed that section of road! It was in the wet as well (Q....Qu....Quai....fe!)

The longer I have this car, the less I want to sell her. I just hope she'll last the mileage!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 12:18:20 pm by RedRobin »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2009, 12:35:44 pm »
Hi Robin,

Why not retrim the whole car by your local guy. You can then choose any combination of  (interlagos type) fabric or leather and it will be totally matching and bespoke. It might look odd if you can’t match the new Recaro front seats to the rest of the car.

Will be more expensive, but would be so much more integrated.

:happy2: :happy2:  Hotrod

....That option would open up all sorts of creative possibilities but I really don't want to be spending thousands on my interior. It's not really a show car which I submit for awards but merely gets invited to be displayed on motorsport stands at shows occasionally.

I'm intending to carbon vinyl wrap the seat backs and aluminium strips on the doors and lower dashboard.

Linky : - Carbonskin Gallery

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2009, 12:49:49 pm »
Robin,

I really think that the 'R' looks great on the seats, 'R' does not necessarily mean its not a 'GTI'

Remember the R-GTI concept, for me the 'R' logo would represent a more special one off version of any of the VW product line.. Be it GTI or whatever.. Its like BMW and M.. You have the official models, M3, M5 etc.. But also the M-Sport etc..

If you really want to go with the Interlagos then I would say just get the sections made up and replaced in the covers that are currently on the seats..

The alternative would be to have the matching rears and not bother with the Interlagos..

If they had a BMW Performance logo on them then I get your point, but with a VW 'R' logo I think it ties in and makes perfect sense..

Jonny  :smiley:

....I'm tending to favour keeping the existing covers with their .:R logos as I totally agree with your reasoning about the meaning of the .:R symbol as others have also pointed out.

I'm warming to the idea of keeping the dark grey seat cushions too. Methinks I'll be phoning you soon!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2009, 01:16:42 pm »

The lass test seating them said they were well nice (so good mod for pulling in the girls eh RR lol)

What does your SWMBO think of them??

....Good for pulling, eh? Now you're talking!

^ I think I need to add the words that no fat chicks will fit in my Recaros either!

My young SWMBO likes them and is long legged enough to get in and out easily. She sat in them for the first time this morning - I got asked to taxi her and a couple of her friends about half-an-hour's drive away. Bit of a separate story here, so I'll post a new thread later in Random - It involves discussions of anal sex! And it wasn't me who brought up the subject!!

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2009, 02:23:40 pm »
if your keep the Rs your get your tag initials on the headrests R R  :happy2: