Make a donation

Author Topic: S3 Intercooler Vs THS Intercooler  (Read 39291 times)

Offline nal

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: S3 Intercooler Vs THS Intercooler
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2012, 01:52:25 pm »
i am on THS I/C in tropical malaysia with KO3,throttle response is stronger much improved  and more consistent over stock and S3 I/C.Need to ensure the I/C hose clamps are fully secured otherwise will cause low end lag.

h4rdy

« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2012, 08:25:01 am »
I have the THS and I run 9-5-9 on Revo 2+ with hardly any timing pull in the Summer!

VrsAlex will vouch for this.

Even if it isn't helping me do this it gives me piece of mind that the temperatures are kept nice and low.

I thought about the FMIC but was told, by whom I can't remember, that they can be a bit laggy?

Maybe hearsay but even if what I am talking is BS I am happy :grin:

Justin, do you have boost gauge ?   :happy2:

No Mike but I think I logged at 22PSI.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2012, 11:38:42 am »
What I am interested to know is this though - with the Forge Twintercooler fitted, with an a/c core in place, does 3 cores being in front of the radiator cause the coolant temperature to rise significantly/are there any adverse effects of having 4 cores?
No and no.

Also, does the overall effect of the original S3 intecooler with the stainless end tanks, when paired with the Forge Twintercooler, work out to be more efficicent than a single THS?
Probably yes.

The OEM siting of intercooler - be that the poverty plastic GTI, the S3, the THS or the APR - all have an inherant design issue which causes three fundamental problems.  The Forge eliminates these problems.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2012, 11:43:45 am »
What I am interested to know is this though - with the Forge Twintercooler fitted, with an a/c core in place, does 3 cores being in front of the radiator cause the coolant temperature to rise significantly/are there any adverse effects of having 4 cores?
No and no.

Also, does the overall effect of the original S3 intecooler with the stainless end tanks, when paired with the Forge Twintercooler, work out to be more efficicent than a single THS?
Probably yes.

The OEM siting of intercooler - be that the poverty plastic GTI, the S3, the THS or the APR - all have an inherant design issue which causes three fundamental problems.  The Forge eliminates these problems.

Please could you explain.  Does removal of a/c core help eradicate one or all of the problems?

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2012, 11:45:53 am »
Has anyone got any detail around the drawbacks of the Forge unit
What drawbacks?  OK, the Forge has two drawbacks - its price, and the fact that it isn't 'OEM' - as in OEM sited.

or proof that it is comparible to the likes of the THS?
The Forge has significant advantages over the THS (or any of the other OEM 'sited' coolers).

I have both the original alloy end tank S3 intercooler and Forge Twintercooler to fit as a pair on my car (keeping the a/c on this car), but may sell them to get a THS if there is proof it is a better all round option.
It depends what you are after!  If you just want the ULTIMATE method of cooling - then swap your S3 for a THS, but still KEEP your Forge as well.

Ditching the Forge for just the THS would be a backward step.
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2012, 11:55:52 am »
No and no.

Probably yes.

Please could you explain.
I did a detailed write up some time ago - it was either on this forum or on GolfGTI.co.uk forum.  Do you fancy using the search to save me typing it out again?  :wink:

Does removal of a/c core help eradicate one or all of the problems?
Yes, that will be one of the problems - but if anything, the a/c core is probably the least of the 'evils'.  The simple fact that the OEM siting bolts it directly on to the firkin hot coolant rad is a massive faux pas.  :sad1:
------

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2012, 12:00:20 pm »

Will have a search, ta

Might look into spacing them slightly?

h4rdy

« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2012, 12:32:14 pm »
I enquired about fitting the Forge alongside the THS and I understand there is a couple of issues:

1: You would need to have custom Forge Silicon Pipes made as the THS comes with its own 'custom' pipes to replace the OEM pipes.
2: I was led to believe that 'lag' may be an issue due to the massive(!) increase in IC size what with the larger THS and Forge.
3: Again I could be talking BS?

Am I wrong about the Lag issue TT?

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2012, 01:31:52 pm »
I enquired about fitting the Forge alongside the THS and I understand there is a couple of issues:

1: You would need to have custom Forge Silicon Pipes made as the THS comes with its own 'custom' pipes to replace the OEM pipes.
All Forge hoses are 'custom' made!  All you would need to know is the diameter of the connections on the THS (and the type of connection too), let Forge know, and they'll be able to make the hoses for you.  Forge hoses are never an 'exact' fit - they usually require trimming to get a successful fit - a bit fiddly - but perfectly OK when done.

2: I was led to believe that 'lag' may be an issue due to the massive(!) increase in IC size what with the larger THS and Forge.
I personally don't have any lag with my Forge and S3 cooler on a K03.

It is really all relative, and a bit of a compromise.  If you genuinely get plagued by heatsoak and power drop off, then a touch more lag might be worth it (and I'm sure REVO and the likes could map out the lag).  But if you never actually get heatsoak on just the standard plastic GTI cooler - and just wanna upgrade for sheer vanity, then the lag will probably p!ss you off.  You really and honestly need to carefully assess what heatsoak you currently get, and then what the ultimate goal of swapping the i/cs will achieve.

3: Again I could be talking BS?
Why break the habit of a lifetime . . . .

Sorry, mate, couldn't resist!  :love:

Am I wrong about the Lag issue TT?
Are you K03 or K04?  That might have a difference!
------

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2012, 01:34:50 pm »
Will have a search, ta
:happy2:

That may help a little - but it is still gonna be a lot closer than a Forge.  I take it you shop in Tesco!  :P
------

h4rdy

« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2012, 01:38:25 pm »
Thanks TT I am K04.

TBH I am not really intending to do it at the moment as I don't have any problems with heat soak at the moment.

I am mainly asking for the purpose of progressing the thread and if I upgrade to a hybrid K04 in the future in the like I may look into it again.

I did consider removing my Air Conditioning, Mike have you done this, TT is it worth it?

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2012, 01:40:58 pm »
Will have a search, ta
:happy2:

That may help a little - but it is still gonna be a lot closer than a Forge.  I take it you shop in Tesco!  :P

Just thought a bit of air flow would help but yes yor right.

And this 24hour supermarket lights up my back garden it's that close...

:P

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2012, 02:13:26 pm »
Heat travels by three fundamental methods: conduction, convection and radiation. :nerd:

Mike, did you manage to find that old thread I did?
------

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2012, 03:21:40 pm »
This commen..t - 

It is really all relative, and a bit of a compromise.  If you genuinely get plagued by heatsoak and power drop off, then a touch more lag might be worth it (and I'm sure REVO and the likes could map out the lag).  But if you never actually get heatsoak on just the standard plastic GTI cooler - and just wanna upgrade for sheer vanity, then the lag will probably p!ss you off.  You really and honestly need to carefully assess what heatsoak you currently get, and then what the ultimate goal of swapping the i/cs will achieve.

is what plagues me as i have the S3 cooler and have thought long and hard about pairing it with the Twintercooler BUT am not sure how much I suffer from heat soak without doing any logs yet and have heard from two respected tuners about the loss of throttle response on the open road even though twintercooler may show gains on the RR...
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2012, 05:43:21 pm »
Heat travels by three fundamental methods: conduction, convection and radiation. :nerd:

Mike, did you manage to find that old thread I did?

Did a few searches with your name as the poster, no joy  :sad1: