Make a donation

Author Topic: RS4 v M3  (Read 13663 times)

Offline berg

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
RS4 v M3
« on: November 15, 2011, 10:48:15 am »
Have been looking at these on autotrader and pistonheads, probably not going to happen but you never know.

Which one would you plump for and why? Does anyone have experience of driving/owning both?

Both V8, 414bhp - I look at the Avant and think I would have that as nice and understated and pretty cool, but then you look at the M3 saloon and I cant think of a BMW I would rather have - and that included the M5 and 1M. Running costs should be similiar or am I right in thinking that BMW servicing and parts more expensive than Audi? Also can only get the Avant up t a 57 reg so is cheaper to buy.
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ii1b3tnopit0bopl3q6r1ecgtq&/topic,19740.0.html
Re: RS4 v M3
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 11:08:34 am »
Id take the M3  :happy2:

Offline WolverineMAc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 11:14:03 am »
M3
Mk5 Gti Edition 30, Manual, Tornado Red

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 11:16:23 am »
E9x M3?

Having spent time driving both, deffo the M3. Both are superb on the road, but when turning up to 11 the M3 shows its class and rewards being pushed.
Sideways yo!

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 11:24:04 am »
RS4 all day long, 4wd traction with understated looks and its more tuneable, plus unless your an Oakley wearing Barrow Boy the M3 wont be for you  :grin:

I have driven a BMW M3 CSL (04 plate) and an Audi RS4 (07 plate) and preferred the Audi for all round, the CSL sounds like a Spitfire in max attack mode, but unless you drive fast all the time the audi is more comfortable and just as quick!

Plus we all know what Top Gear Team think of M3 drivers (and the masses too)  :grin:
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 11:26:59 am by Tamiyoman »
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ii1b3tnopit0bopl3q6r1ecgtq&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 11:33:50 am »
And we all know what Audi drivers are like too...

Why is the RS4 more tuneable?

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 11:36:40 am »
Oh dear, Tamiyoman....

Step away from your VAG loyalty and what you've been spoonfed by 3rd hand info, let's just deal with facts, eh?

RS4 is better than an E46 but not a CSL, E9x is better than an RS4. Tunable?? There's (by comparison) nothing on the M3 aftermarket, simply because it doesn't need it...

The very same source of your stupid opinion also puts the E9x leagues ahead of the RS4.

If you're calling M3 owners Barrow boys, then RS4s are drug dealers cars.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 11:44:05 am by tony_danza »
Sideways yo!

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 11:43:44 am »
I went from an audi S3 to an E46 m3 a few years ago... it was the biggest mistake I've made (in car terms).

Its sooooo much more expensive to run. Fuel, its constant hunger for rear tyres at about £280 each, Dealership costs (I had a warranty but even then there was the excess each time it went in and the servicing with the local dealer charging £110 an hr plus VAT, parts and accessories way more than VAG.

It was fun and I'm glad I had an M3... but i've finally got back into a VAG turbo hatch after a couple of years of paying for the money I lost on the M3 and I'm much happier... on our roads you cant really use an M3 and without a turbo... a few times it felt pretty slow in comparison to a well mapped VAG turbo actually. Not a lot of torque on those things.

Anyway I know your not talking about an E46 but if you are looking at that shape get the CSL. It wont lose money. At the time the CSL was about £4k more than my high spec M3 but 6 months later my M3 had dropped £4k and the CSL had gone up about £3k... They constantly trade for £26k-£30k now and are a pretty good investment.

I've driven a couple of E90 M3s and they are nicer to drive, better built, and quicker but still hideously expensive to run and own compared to a GTI and are still losing a fair bit of money.
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline ConeKiller

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 11:46:50 am »
RS4 hands down  :happy2:

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 11:50:36 am »
Tony - I meant the latest M3 - sorry I dont know the current subcode.

We need a bigger car and my wife is fed up of my modding and taking the ED30 to Stg 2+ with stiff mounts etc.

I have said that will get a bigger car and not modify it as long as I consider it to be a step up from the Gti - otherwise have told her will have to make do  :P

I only work 3 miles from home so 6 miles a day, so I might be able to afford to run one as am not finding the Gti expensive to run at all on v power due to my annual mileage being about 8-10k.

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 12
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 11:54:01 am »
What's wrong with a stage 2+ S3 sportback  :laugh:
2010 3dr phantom black S-Tronic S3 - BCS TBE with 3½" DP - LOBA LO4xx turbo - LOBA HPFP - Revo CAI - H&R 25mm lowering springs - Forge 11mm spacers - RS4 fuel Pressure valve - THS intercooler - H&R front and rear ARB's - AEM water methanol injection

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 12:21:34 pm »
What's wrong with a stage 2+ S3 sportback  :laugh:

I dont think the boot capacity on a sportback is better than a Gti? Was looking at RS3 boot and pretty sure it is smaller than a Gti? I dont want to part with the ED30 - but first born is on the way next summer and not convinced will get all the baby gear into the gti which my wife has her eye on!

At jedi knight - yes am concerned about the thirst for fuel.

Am I missing another alternative - I need a fast, practical car which is more practical than a 5 dr ED30? Octavia VRS estate? Impreza Sti could be an option I suppose...

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 12:29:02 pm »
Yeah, latest shape is E90/2 depending on how many doors it has.

To be honest you won't go wrong with either car, the M3 has the DCT option (BMW's DSG) if you fancy a change from manual - but both are going to be equally bad on parts, insurance, tyres, fuel.... they're a £50k+ car with £50k+ running costs, never mind how much they've depreciated.

Drive both, make your own mind up.  :happy2:

You might get into a new shape S4, the V6 Bi-turbo is a belting engine and the car is very nice.
Sideways yo!

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 12:31:22 pm »
If your having a baby the golf just takes everything you can throw at it kids wise and if it's a 5 door life could not be easier. The Gti ticks too many boxes for a family car but is still fun to drive

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline Bernhard30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 12:38:58 pm »
I'll just second what TonyD has just posted, newer shape S4 would be my punt at what might do the trick.
Obviously depending on what you want to spend.

As a pointer we bought a new shape A4 TDi 170 Avant this year (changed from a 5dr Mk5 Golf) and whilst you'll not get a wardrobe in the back the car is big enough, for our 11 month old and both dogs.
The car feels very planted and can actually be hustled along as a fair old pace and seems to shrink round you.
To me it feels like a slightly wider Golf. Even taking into account the diesel engine.
I'd think the petrol engined S4 with maybe a S-tronic box would be all the car you'd need and likely be quite tunable too.

Plus like the S-line it has the Audi 'tart lights' on the front..drl's etc