Make a donation

Author Topic: The New MKVI GTI v The MKI GTI  (Read 7417 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 15
Re: The New MKVI GTI v The MKI GTI
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2009, 10:18:56 pm »
I guess i was the only one looking at the mk1  :grin: Wish they had used a better one  :grin:

I like the mk6 from the front (with xenons with AFS) and also like the rear in certain colours (still not sure why at the rear the defuser does not seem to fit maybe its just the angles i have seen photos from) its the side profile im not that keen on and much prefer the mk5 from the side. I think its those door handles and lack of side strip.
Ex mk5 GTI owner, moved to a mk6 in 2010.

Offline Hurdy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2009, 11:53:36 pm »
I like the MKVI, but there are some places in the design execution that are just plain wrong.

The door handles are just plain wrong - they stick out too far and the MKV ones look much better.

The rear light clusters look like they were designed by my 6 year old nephew. The MKV ones are bad enough, but the MKVI looks like it took a leaf out of the "how not to design...." book.

The rear windscreen has a gap at the top of it that is only just a little narrower than the Panama canal - I showed Matt this at Ultimate dubs.

The MKV is far from perfect, but I can see where the cost cutting has been done.

The upsides to the MKVI are that it is now fully colour coded at the front and rear - big bonus.

Some of the extra technologies are an upside - but I still get the feeling they maybe a bit "gadgety" rather than do much for the driving enhancement.

The front light clusters on with the Xenons are growing on me and are an option I would have to choose next time around (assuming I go for a MKVI).

I'm probably one of the few people who like the fact that they have removed the bump strips - although it is definitely part of the VW cost cutting regime.

I'm just hoping that VW can blow us away with the R20 design. :jumping:
Golf R gone.

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2009, 09:48:00 am »
^Do you think the gap maybe there for the spoiler to locate into on models with one or simply an oops.
Ex mk5 GTI owner, moved to a mk6 in 2010.

Offline markymark

• Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 55
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2009, 09:56:32 pm »
I spotted my first 3 door MKVI today and it looked very tasty. It was a black TSi with big 18" rims, if the GTI looks anything like this it will definately be a winner for me! Even the rear light clusters seem to look better against the black paint work! :happy2:

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2009, 10:39:47 pm »
I was just saying to the chaps at the meet today that I saw a dark blue MKVI and the rear clusters did look pretty good lit up...