Make a donation

Author Topic: Is the turbo a serviceable part?  (Read 1342 times)

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
Is the turbo a serviceable part?
« on: November 18, 2011, 07:03:21 pm »
Evening Folks,

As my ownership with ED30 goes on, im finding myself more and more anal and meticulous in its maintenance and upkeep. I stick to the service schedule to the letter, only replacing bits that are OEM quality as a minimum.
Any way, i guess you can call me one of the worried well - always paranoid something is going to break/fail on the car.
She is at 47k, with the history bang up to date, all maintenance carried out as recommended by VW... the only thing im worried about is the Turbo going bang.

I always let the engine warm up before doing any real speed etc. I only use good quality Long Life Oil, both oil and filter is changed every 6 months which for me, equates to roughly 4k-5k miles.

Ive only very recently learnt about taking it easy in the last couple of miles of the journey and letting the engine idle for a min before switching off in order to let the turbo cool down properly which ive started to do - i dont normally reach any real speed as i near my home anyway.

As per title, can the turbo be serviced/maintained?

Thanks

worried well Rich
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 08:48:09 pm by richtung »

Offline edd666999

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
Re: Is the Turbo as serviceable part?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 07:17:25 pm »
i think its going to be more a refurb than a service, i looked on turbodynamics website and they don't mention a "service" and i would expect them to offer the service if it were possible.

They have seals and bearing which can be replaced AFAIK.

Offline RS6BRIT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
Re: Is the Turbo as serviceable part?
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 08:00:56 pm »
They have a thrust bearing that can be replaced, several seals that can be replaced too. Most turbos dont go bang as such. They tend to wear out the thrust bearing and oil seals, and in most cases just start to smoke. If you catch them at this stage early enough then these parts can be replaced by someone like turbo dynamics etc.

Most turbos use a bearing called a journal bearing. This is in effect a shaft in a tube with the impeller wheel (compressor end) and a turbine wheel (exhaust side) at the other. The way it works is that the shaft 'floats' in a thin layer of oil that is trapped between the spinning shaft and the tube. If the seals fails then the layer of oil thins out and the shaft and the tube make contact wearing them out, and in bad cases the impeller wheel can make contact with the compressor housing and really screw it up.

On most turbos you can feel the condition of the shaft by holding the nut on the compressor wheel and giving a wiggle, there should only be a fraction of a millimetre play (there's play because the oil will have drained out of the turbo whilst the engine isn't running).

The thrust bearing is to stop the compressor wheel pulling out of the turbo. You have to imagine that the compressor wheel is like a propeller, as it spins it wants to pull itself out of the housing. The thrust bearing stops this. Imagine the shaft of the turbo has a small step in it and that the thrust bearing is a washer that acts against the step. Most thrust bearings are like a washer with a section cut out, 360 degree thrust bearing don't have the cut out and are there for better at stopping compressor wheel lift but are more difficult to fit which is why commercial turbos don't use them.

I hope that helps a bit and that i haven't bored you to much  :happy2:
LEON CUPRA FOR SALE

Offline rob172cup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
Re: Is the turbo a serviceable part?
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 09:40:00 pm »
how long would one normally last ?

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 05:50:03 am »
Top post that one on turbo's! I learnt a lot from that. I'll look after mine more from now  on!

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline RS6BRIT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 05:20:38 pm »
Your welcome, as to how long they last really depends on how well looked after they are, some will last 100k with no issues but others wont, theres no telling really just keep an eye out for smoking.
LEON CUPRA FOR SALE